Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #21
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
Smaller risk? What is a bigger risk than a great white near you?
Ok, this is only my opinion, but just being out there on the water, and getting there in the first place, poses a much greater risk than a shark attack.

There are all kinds of GWS all up and down the California coast. Biguns, smalluns, all kinduns...

One of my favorite sayings is that if you think there isn't a GWS in the area, better think again. At any moment on the water chances are there is at least one decent sized one actively patrolling the area. That's where they are, where they live, and when you go in the water you simply are with them. No way around that. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they are not there.

I've been in the water since I was about 5 years old. Grew up surfing. I've been out in the water almost as much as I have been on land. Never been attacked. Never heard of any of my friends who've done the same ever being attacked. We've all seem them plenty of times up close and personal yet we are all still here. That is my point, there are much greater risks to getting out and being on the water than a shark attack.

If you want to see one up close, I suggest spending time in the aforementioned area and just observing. Sooner or later you'll see one.

I don't know all the science of GWS but the ones I see breaching are usually smaller and what appears to be feeding (macks?). They come from the deep and speed up fast to the surface, grasping their prey and launching into the air in one quick motion. Sometimes it seems like they are practicing or just having fun. I must admit I don't stick around long to watch much when I see this, I just catch a wave in or move away from the area, depends on how freaked out I am (and how many others are out surfing the same area). Most of my sightings came during the warmer months, and the area around Church's (The first surfing spot north of the Pendleton area). It seams about 2 times a year the sightings really go up, just stay tuned to the news, they will dramatize the heck out of it. We should be seeing lots more soon.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote