Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
Kahouna

San Onofre

My job has be standing for hours looking at the beach area and the not-so-far-away kelp. I see cattleboats and others on a consistent basis but no yaks. Is the area worth the trouble? I tried doing some searching, but I came up with very little information.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

There are secret Rock Fishing spots off of San Onofre in 250 feet of water. Its good this year.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
flydigital

I tell ya, I still haven't yakked SanO but I used to fish the heck out of it when I had a boat, and surfboard-fished it all the time, including north to San Mateo Point. It's a bit of a hidden gem, the whole area, from the surf line to outside the kelp. Not much pressure at all, and you can find plenty of halibut and even WSB and the occasional YT (rare but it has happened). Bass fishing is off the hook of course. Plenty of bait as well.

I only know of a couple yakkers who go out there regularly. I think the surf launch scares off most people, as it can be "fun" many times but then again there are plenty of flatter days where it is a walk in the park.

As to where to launch, I personally would launch from the north-most area of Sano surfing beach parking area - Basilone exit (there is a deeper channel and not much surf past the shorebreak), but the guys I know who do this often always go down closer to the domes, near the south-most parking area. I think it's $15 these days for the day-use parking pass and it opens around 6am. The parking abuts the sand and its only about 50 yards to the water. The kelp starts around 25-30ft and goes out to about 60ft of depth. The kelp closer to Cotton's (San Mateo) Point, and the area just outside "Upper Trestles" where sand meets rock has been very productive for me in the past. Oh, and if you are out there often enough you'll find there are plenty of Whiteys that cruise the area. Suggest not hanging fish over the side.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

There can be some excellent fishing in the San O area. The only flinch I have is the surf launch at Old Mans. There are really only a couple hands full of days that are doable for me, and I'm one that surf launches on every trip. Basically when the surfers are complaining about how bad the surf is, then it is a good day to go to San O, and still there are some sneaker sets that can surprise you. especialy on the way in.

Great halibut fishing just outside the surf line, and even in close in 2 - 5 ft of water. The barn kelp is about 1.5 miles from the launch, and San Mateo ke;p is about 2. Couple other artificial reefs constructed by SDG and E in the area.

Gotta keep and eye out for the taxman. Seems to be a nursury in that area. I have an encounter almost every trip there. Either a drive by or a breach. Only 6 - 8 footers but no question greate whites.

Good luck
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Kahouna

Thanks guys. Kinda what I figured, just needed a little more umph to push me to go. I have access to the Pendleton beach, so no fees for me. I see a place where the waves aren't quite as big as the rest on most days and figured that would be the place to try.

I was kind of planning some drifting inside the kelp for some flatties then hit inside of the kelp and work my way to the outside. Somewhere in there, I should find a fish to keep me busy.

I remember the video of whitey from last year. Makes me want to find a gopro for those "special occasions".
Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Great halibut fishing just outside the surf line, and even in close in 2 - 5 ft of water. The barn kelp is about 1.5 miles from the launch, and San Mateo ke;p is about 2. Couple other artificial reefs constructed by SDG and E in the area.
That would be SanO Kelp is about 1.5, Old Man. Heh. Barn kelp is about 6+ and better accessed from Trail 6 w/ wheels. Pendleton arti reefs about 4 from Old Man's (Just S of the checkpoint), Box Canyon ~5.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Once again, Zed has stumbled onto the truth
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
GregAndrew

I have been down there a few times in the past 2 years. Lots of Leopard sharks and a few Butts. I launch at the south end of the day use area where the surf is smaller. There can be 4 or more breaks in the surf zone, but you can paddle parallel to the shore after the first one or two and slowly work outside without having to breach the others. You can make bait pretty easily in front of the domes where the water from the intake and exhaust is swirling at the surface most days. If you want to fish the shallows you need to pick the days when the surfers are staying home.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post

Gotta keep and eye out for the taxman. Seems to be a nursury in that area. I have an encounter almost every trip there. Either a drive by or a breach. Only 6 - 8 footers but no question greate whites.

Good luck
I just about Poop myself the last time I fished San O, Haven't been back since 2009
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttchaser View Post
I just about Poop myself the last time I fished San O, Haven't been back since 2009
ah, they're just little pups nothing to worry about!!

Funnest encounter I had was surfing Church's one day and had a decent 12 footer breach about 20 yards in front of me. That was the biggest one I've seen up close. I've seen em within 100 yards of me at least a couple dozen times over the years, usually breaching, usually much smaller in the 8ft range. There are tons out there, all up and down the coast. I try not to worry about it, sometimes its hard but fact is they are one of the smaller risks of being out there.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
flydigital

Also I'd say there is no way to really "watch out" for them, when they want to nip they will, and chances are you won't see them first. Just use common sense, don't give them too much to get curious about (i.e. excessive splashing, panic, fish or blood, etc.). And if you do encounter one, just keep cool and leave the area.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Kahouna

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydigital View Post
And if you do encounter one, just keep cool and leave the area.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
swank

Only ever fished San O by boat, definately some nice grade rock fish if you look around
Old 05-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydigital View Post
ah, they're just little pups nothing to worry about!!

Funnest encounter I had was surfing Church's one day and had a decent 12 footer breach about 20 yards in front of me. That was the biggest one I've seen up close. I've seen em within 100 yards of me at least a couple dozen times over the years, usually breaching, usually much smaller in the 8ft range. There are tons out there, all up and down the coast. I try not to worry about it, sometimes its hard but fact is they are one of the smaller risks of being out there.
Smaller risk? What is a bigger risk than a great white near you?
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
bmercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
Smaller risk? What is a bigger risk than a great white near you?
another person near you?
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #16
Kahouna

Probably a rookie question here...but you say you see them breaching. What does that entail (pun intended)? A buddy is going to go with me and he has a gopro, so if there is a chance to get the taxman on film, we are all about it. Hope that footage goes well with all the fish we catch.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #17
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahouna View Post
Probably a rookie question here...but you say you see them breaching. What does that entail (pun intended)? A buddy is going to go with me and he has a gopro, so if there is a chance to get the taxman on film, we are all about it. Hope that footage goes well with all the fish we catch.
Have fun !

http://www.grindtv.com/surf/blog/197...20his%20board/
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #18
T-Rex

The launch at Dogpatch at the south end of the parking area is usually the best bet, especially when the surf is up a bit. The problem with Pendleton Beach is the shorebreak -- you'd really want to make sure the surf is flat before heading out there.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #19
gupppy

I went surffishing there on friday. I didn't catch anything as I was limited to a very small stretch of the beach. I had my dogs with me so I had to stay near the power plant. I fished in front of the power plant for an hour and was kicked off the beach. I guess the power plant workers and the attendant at the entrance of the beach have conflicting rules of fishing? Anyhow, I saw a few yakers that day launching from the surf... Off the rocks a couple of hundred yards north of the power plant. Seemed easy as pie, but maybe it was just a good deal. I'm not a local so I wouldn't know the typical conditions. Good luck!
gupppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #20
cabojohn
PROBATION

You guys are crazy to paddle out & yak fish San'O with all them great white sharks swimming all around!
If you think there are only small white sharks there you are kidding yourself.
Nucking futs.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote