Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
fishsouthcounty

looking for a new yak???

Just thought id post this up for anyone who is in the same boat as me. If your looking for a yak on a limited budget i just saw this on craigslist. New yaks at a used price. Trying to get work covered myself so i can get up and drive up there and hopefully bring something home with me. Gonna be super bummed if i cant get work covered.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...197671414.html
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
fishsouthcounty

so i realized after looking at the photo that the kayaks are all stripped. Would have to purchase all hatches, seat, paddle etc. Anyone know what the cost is for like the front or center hatches on malibu kayaks?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
yaknewb

I dont think there cheap for a cobra kayak its like 80 a hacth i think this is an okay deal if you want a 100% custom and have the money for it.
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Lets_Fish

Well worth the cost from a happy Malibu customer!

I'm sure that Andy & crew from OEX will be handling this sale once again. Don't be fooled by a "generic" yak, specially these Malibu yaks. I went to the first parking lot sale they held last year and purchased my X-13 and my brother got a X-Factor (stock). The X-13 came with front & center hatches, rod holders (four) & a rudder. Some of them are "stock" (bare bone yak) while others may have a few add-ons. Go you won't be disappointed.

One Happy Malibu customer!
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
fishsouthcounty

yaaa unfortunately i was unable to get my shift covered at work so i am stuck from 6 till like noon at the earliest. Any idea what they do with any leftover stock if things dont get picked up??? Does OEX take them to their shops and get rid of them??
Old 02-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

snaps!.........I started with craigslist yesterday.........will be posted here on Monday

This is a 1 day event, so get someone to go for you or get there somehow. We do not take stock from the factory, after it is over it is back to business as usual.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
ctrujillo

picked up xfactor at last blow out.got a killer deal if i were you i might end up catching a cold on that day i know i will
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
fishsouthcounty

bummer...ya i had no way out of it. looks like its back to stalking craigslist for something worthwhile.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
herbo

This is always a Bitchin' Sales Event!!! ( And every time it happens I'm broke) so what else is new???.....H
Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

For the people who have been to these events are all hatches closed, or are they open hatches?

Like on the x-factor, the big bow hatch is open but on the pictures they are all closed.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

There is a variety of some with no hatches to some with all the hatches, they are priced accordingly. The best deals are on the ones with what you want already on them.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
T Bone

Make sure you get there early.My buddy went at the end of the day and got an x factor with no hatches for $320.Great deal but if one with all hatches is only 399 that is a score.By the time he bought 2 flushmounts and one center hatch he was allready over that price with no front hatch or rear hatch.I think Andy will cut you a deal on hatches though so either way leave there with your hatches.

In other words batten down your hatches...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty View Post
yaaa unfortunately i was unable to get my shift covered at work so i am stuck from 6 till like noon at the earliest. Any idea what they do with any leftover stock if things dont get picked up??? Does OEX take them to their shops and get rid of them??

cough cough, fishsouthcounty you look like your starting to get sick, I hear there is a 24 hour flu expected to hit the OC around mid feb....

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
wiredantz

ugh... my wife won't let me go to the sale. My wife said if i buy one more thing she will be utterly upset with me.

So i look at her and look at the sale 7x and then she laughed.... I am still trying to work her

()()()(()()() i want to go...

Last edited by wiredantz; 02-06-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
Lets_Fish

BEST MALIBU SALE!

If you are looking for a Malibu Kayak, this is a must go to sale! It's no simpler than that. As Andy said, the best deals are the ones with add-ons already equipped and get someone to go for you if you have to work.

I walked away from the first parking lot sale with thoughts of my first custom yak and not a "standard" yak. I was luck to get there early (7am & 5th in line) to get my yak (a grey X-13 with 4 rod holders, front & center hatch and a rudder). I do not recall if there was any other yak with a rudder sold that day, but I was the lucky one. If you are looking at setting up your own, then this is one heck of a deal to pick up a bargain yak and set it up to your liking for a very cheap price for the "hull". Yes extras do cost, but make it your project yak and enjoy the sport as I'm doing. There are many web site to get add-ons from also. If you are interested I can share a few with anyone, just PM me.

Here are a few picks of my yak, project still in the making.

I've added lights to the yak for night fishing.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #16
yaknewb

Hey letsfish how much di dyou end up paying for your yak at the sale?
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #17
Lets_Fish

Less than $500 with the rudder, but was still less than "dealer" cost.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
wiredantz

Anyone know if they charge tax at these event?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #19
Iceman
Administrator

Yes we do charge sales tax, we also accept credit cards/checks and cash
Old 02-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
fishsouthcounty

wow...musta been drunk or something when i looked at the ad on craigslist originally cause all i saw was saturday and thought it was referring to 2 days ago....looks like theres still a chance. Hopefully my taxes are cleared by this weekend and i have the money in the bank. I will walk out of there with a kayak.

Seeing as how i am new to this, I was just curious what everyones opinions are on which boat they think is the best all around to outfit for fishing??