Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
T Bone

BUG-N Dana 11-18-10

I have about 60# bonita scraps and put them to good use.Launched at baby's about 5.I had one keeper right away but the crawl didnt get going good until about 7.The usual lots of shorts to go through.Luckily I had no problems with the Dogs.I got an octopus and a few sculpin as well.I used a LOT of bait,probably 3# per hoop(LOADED the bait pouches)I think it really helped hone the roaches in.I ended the night with 6 keepers.This was my best night in 2 years of hooping.I had boats on either side of me running many more hoops and did better than they did.I re-rigged some hoops with thicker rope and I must say its a great upgrade to that crappy string they come with.

On another note,2 of the bugs I got(my second and third or fourth)were EXACTLTY 3 1/4 inches and by that i mean you could FORCE the guage on the carapace but it would NOT move.I bring this up because the regs say bugs must be at least 3 1/4 but everyone seems scared shitless to get caught with a 3 1/4 bug.I will let you know the outcome if it ever comes up with DFG because the officer,myself,the bug and the guage will ALL be in court.

The frosting side of me almost wants it to happen,but the whole wheat side just wants to go home with a few bugs

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
T Bone

Now I have a little bonus for the relatives next thursday.I also through in a picture of where I have been working this last week.I thought it would make a good backdrop for a pic of my truck.
Attached Images

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
Old 11-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Caffeind

Nice job out-buggin the PB crowd out there.
Just started hoopin this season and Dana is next to try on the list...so its good to see quality reports still comin out of there.
I always thought those contractor load racks would be great double duty for yaks, cool pic
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
BT

Nice Job T Bone.

As far as I understood, if the gauge goes over the carapace, it isn't good. I may be wrong, but I always throw those back, even if it needs force to go over.

Another point, I think the DFG releases the bugs back into the water no? I don't think they bring it to court, but that could hurt and help. Your word against theirs, but I have never met a judge that believes the general public over the man with the tin badge. Even if you win, you will pay court fees, but then case law will exist if it doesn't already. It may be something to look into as a reference.

I dunno, I get out enough this year that I throw anything questionable back. Good work out of Dana though. I heard that area is tough. I got a buddy who lives up there and wants to go out but doesnt know where, and all he has heard is negative feedback about the bugs up there.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
T Bone

I would never keep a 12" bass but bugs are different.You are right Dana is tough,If I would have known that I would get 4 solids by the end of the night I might have thought otherwise but I have checked my guage and 3 1/4 is 3 1/4.I mean the point is those bugs had their shot at a mating season or two.The fines are supposed to be crazy so its probably not worth the arguement.All I know is I am now a believer in using LOTS of bait.

I am going to hoop Catalina later this year at some point and will let you guys know how it goes.Legal/short ratio is much better there,just hard to find shallow spots and will have to re-rig some hoops to go over 100' deep.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
BT

I hear you on the bait. I stuff the crap outta my cages. I use extra bungees so the dogs cant get em. I bring a bag of scraps with me to restuff all night long. stuff stuff stuff!

Good luck at catalina! I would love to give that a shot one time.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
T Bone

SCI is supposed to be great too.Stupid easy limits.SCI would need to be an overnighter rockfish/hooptrip combo.My brother is a sportie captain and has access to a Grady white 30'er with twin 250's.Its not cheap to get that rig to SCI and back so cat is much better on the wallet.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
Jzo

Thx for the report, congrats on the bugs.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote