Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
m1k3midg3

i need an opinion..or 20

so my friend and I are thinking about going lobstering at la jolla in a 12 foot aluminum boat and staying the night out there and going home in the morning. We are both 17. what do you all think? is this a good idea? my mom thinks that this is unsafe and are gonna drown out there so this is an attempt to change that. thanks
m1k3midg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Gino

depends how big the beer cooler is.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Nic D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
depends how big the beer cooler is.
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Hypoxic1

Fastest way to become a news piece!

Trouble is, when you die they wont give you a front pager. It will be a small blurb on the inside page of the san diego section, right next to the drunk who got tazed for stealing a baked chicken.
Is that how you want mom to remember you?
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
m1k3midg3

heh thanks or the help guys
Old 09-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Thumbs down

Go with an experienced bugger before you go on your own....
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxic1 View Post
right next to the drunk who got tazed for stealing a baked chicken.

Chris, I knew that was you!!!!

Seriously Mike, find someone to buddy boat with for your first outing. Also, do you guys own a VHF? I'm sure the answer is no so go get one that floats.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
m1k3midg3

i dont know anyone with boat that goes lobstering. anyone on here wanna buddy kayak?? and yea im thinking that we are gonna get a vhf
Old 09-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
Gino

Dont let the salts pee in your chereos.

The reaons i said "depends on how big the cooler is" Is becuase alchohol is probebely the number 1 first mistake when out on the water.

When i was 17 (a whole 6 years ago) Beer was a cornorstone of every activity... Moosehead and Old Milwakee were the start and end of the day! So leave the beer at home...

Im sure you and your friend will be fine if it wa sonly 2-3 hours... But i strongly suggest you hoop somewhere were help can get to you quick if you have a situation. But Id more Strongly suggest you go out with soemone whos knows what they are doing first. Dont go out overnight. Thats bad news bears...
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:45 AM   #10
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaseeker View Post
Go with an experienced bugger before you go on your own....
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdvr View Post
Seriously Mike, find someone to buddy boat with for your first outing. Also, do you guys own a VHF? I'm sure the answer is no so go get one that floats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Im sure you and your friend will be fine if it wa sonly 2-3 hours... But i strongly suggest you hoop somewhere were help can get to you quick if you have a situation. But Id more Strongly suggest you go out with soemone whos knows what they are doing first. Dont go out overnight. Thats bad news bears...
x2

Also, a rain coat and something to keep yourself warm at all times.

Last edited by Jzo; 09-24-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #11
FARRIER

Go for it! Don't let people what if the situation to death. Do bring a vhf and two pfds. It's pretty hard to drown if you can swim.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
m1k3midg3

alright so i need a vhf and already have the pfd's just need someone experienced to go out with. also what do u do about the surf landing at night? are the waves ussually smaller at night?
Old 09-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
driftwood

Not trying to scare anyone. Just becareful you don't get too close to the surf zone. Ultimately, this is how these guys died. too close the surf zone while lobstering boat flipped...

Dead lobsterman found offshore; 2nd man missing

By Michele Clock
STAFF WRITER
December 11, 2006
Authorities recovered the body of a lobsterman in the waters off Coronado yesterday and continued to search for another man hours after their boat washed ashore empty.
The dead lobsterman was identified as Matthew Rogers, said U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Rick Hipes. His age and hometown were not known.
Authorities still hoped to find the other man alive, Hipes said, adding that the Coast Guard planned to search all night in the Pacific Ocean off Point Loma. The Coronado lifeguards and San Diego Harbor Police have also been involved in the search, which used small boats and aircraft, Hipes said.
The cause of Rogers' death was not known. An autopsy will be scheduled today, the Medical Examiner's Office said.
Rogers' 12-to 14-foot aluminum skiff drifted onto the beach just northwest of the Hotel del Coronado yesterday, hours after the two men set out.
They were last seen about 9 p.m. Saturday by a fisherman in the waters off Point Loma, where they had planned to set lobster pots.
Coronado lifeguards said the stormy conditions Saturday night, with waves 4 to 6 feet high, were hazardous for small water craft.
The search started yesterday morning after Rogers' father reported to authorities that the men had not returned. Typically, they returned from lobstering trips by about midnight, Hipes said.

Last edited by driftwood; 09-25-2010 at 08:19 PM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

MOM

LISTEN TO YOUR MOM. SHE KNOWS YOU THE BEST!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
deepdvr

Mike, be on the safe side and take your little boat out of SD bay at shelter island. Nightime surf landings can be dicey. The surf doesn't change due to day vs. night. If the surf is very small you could launch out of the shores and try the area just outside of the reserve by LJ cove.

Based on long term surf forecasts, opening night could be nasty with a big swell.

Last season I lost 3 nets because I didn't use good judgment. There was a very large ground swell and I had no business hooping that night. As the tide shifted just after we started to drop nets, the surf jacked way up. In a few cases, waves were cresting outside of me. Needless to say I left those nets that were now in the surf zone and got myself back on land

Have ample lighting on your boat so you can be seen and stay out of the main channel. Once you get out to zuniga jetty there are plenty of places to drop nets on both sides of the channel.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #16
FishFeeder
Junior

Exclamation clarification

it is not enough to 'bring' pfds,
ya gotta WEAR em, all the time. at night, if something goes wrong you won't even know it before you hit the water, and then you will not find that pfd unless it is wrapped around you and tied on right.
FishFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote