Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
jorluivil

Night Fishing

Any ever do any night fishing on the LBC breakwall via a yak? What's the minimum lighting that you need?
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
steveooo

I'm sure someone will be a little more educated about what the actual requirements are, but my advise for that area is to not try to get away with the " minimum" lighting you can get away with. At night you want to make sure you can be clearly seen by any yahoo's speeding along in their PB. I would suggest a high light pole like this one to make sure they can see you if you dip below a swell. I also see guys that wear 2 headlamps- 1 forward and 1 flashing backward. Makes sense to me....

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ing-Sea/Detail
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
jorluivil

You're absolutely right Steveooo, I shouldn't and will not settle for the bare minimum. I've been a PB for six years now and I now what you mean about the yahoo's that speed along. I guess my questions is what do I need to be safe at night. I like the two headlamp idea.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
fongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
You're absolutely right Steveooo, I shouldn't and will not settle for the bare minimum. I've been a PB for six years now and I now what you mean about the yahoo's that speed along. I guess my questions is what do I need to be safe at night. I like the two headlamp idea.
Get some marine grade (SOLAS) refective tape.
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
T Bone

Thats a must for hooping the opener.....

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
Useful Idiot

What we've always been told is that you're required to have a white light visible from 360 degrees. If you're motorized you also need the red and green in the bow. When we do night time fireworks tours at the shop we also zip tie glow sticks to the ends of the paddles and you can't miss it, especially flailing through the air while paddling.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
baitcasterboy20

i don't know if it is a good idea unless you can be seen
baitcasterboy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useful Idiot View Post
What we've always been told is that you're required to have a white light visible from 360 degrees. If you're motorized you also need the red and green in the bow. When we do night time fireworks tours at the shop we also zip tie glow sticks to the ends of the paddles and you can't miss it, especially flailing through the air while paddling.
True...

http://www.boat-ed.com/ca/course/p4-9_navlights.htm
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #9
-scallywag-
Banned

I end up fishing at night alot. I always have two headlamps in my drybag, and if there's alot of traffic I use a cheap waterproof flashlight taped to a 3ft piece of PVC.

And while I'm on the subject, does anyone with a skiff wanna do some local night fishing? If you have a skiff and wanna fish tonight PM me.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote