Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
GunWall Flint
Junior

Red tide

any signs of a red tide moving in?

heard it on the news.. i am planning a 3 day trip to lj next week on the 13th 14th 15th. weather looks good but with a red tide in affect might as well forget fishing. if a red tide is here i might just book an overnight or a two day trip.
GunWall Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
stairman

red

was out today(fri) and no sign of it at all.If fact if any thing there was some streaky green in places with cleaner water off the nw and 61-62 water temp with current from the sw.
Took the neighbors kid for his first ocean kayak trip.....don't let the kids buy monster energy drinks before their first ocean trip
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by stairman View Post
was out today(fri) and no sign of it at all.If fact if any thing there was some streaky green in places with cleaner water off the nw and 61-62 water temp with current from the sw.
Took the neighbors kid for his first ocean kayak trip.....don't let the kids buy monster energy drinks before their first ocean trip
Did the drink make him sick? Or give him too much energy?

I have lived in SD most of my life, what does a red tide really do?
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:52 AM   #4
Tandem Assassin

Coast Drive

I drove from Dana Point to Leucadia and you could see it 1-2 miles offshore from Dana to Oceanside - big patches of it.
Tandem Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
GunWall Flint
Junior

red tide is some sort of algae bloom or plankton bloom, and it depletes the oxygen in the water i believe. someone correct me if i am wrong..but bottom line is red tide= no fish.!
Old 05-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
dick fabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunWall Flint View Post
red tide is some sort of algae bloom or plankton bloom, and it depletes the oxygen in the water i believe. someone correct me if i am wrong..but bottom line is red tide= no fish.!
What he said. Not good.
dick fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

"Red Tide is caused by a "population explosion" of toxic, naturally occurring microscopic plankton (specifically, a subgroup known as dinoflagellates). "Blooms" of the poison-producing plankton are coastal phenomena caused by environmental conditions, which promote explosive growth. Factors that are especially favorable include warm surface temperatures, high nutrient content, low salinity, and calm seas. Rain followed by sunny weather in the summer months is often associated with red tide blooms."

And by the way, Red Tide is, well, red. Actually kind of muddy reddish brown. When it is around, you can't miss it. It messes with fishing and makes many molusks poisonus to eat. When it dies off, it stinks depletes the water of oxigen and drives away the fish.

At night, however it is a pretty site. The stuff glows when disturbed and makes the surf light up.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 05-09-2010 at 07:08 AM.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
Ohana

The red tide also seems to attract or enable a population explosion of certain types of large jellyfish, as these jellyfish feed on the algae or zooplankton that feed on the algae. I have been on the water during red tide conditions and these jellyfish become very common. What is further interesting is the giant leatherback sea turtles feed on these jellyfish and they start to show up. So, if red tide is plentiful for a extended period, it is also a chance to see these "warm-blooded" turtles in our waters.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
Kesepton

I love the diverse group of people we have here. You just mention red tide, and you get a great definition of it, then someone chimes in and tells you, but it draws turtles!

I love turtles! Thanks for the info guys.
Kesepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
TCS

It has definitely arrived in La Jolla. I was up on the cliff over scripps saturday afternoon and could clearly see it all the way from Torrey Pines to the cove. The water look clearer out past the reserve line and beyond.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
GunWall Flint
Junior

still fishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
It has definitely arrived in La Jolla. I was up on the cliff over scripps saturday afternoon and could clearly see it all the way from Torrey Pines to the cove. The water look clearer out past the reserve line and beyond.
Thanks for the update TCS.
Bummer

on the bright side,sounds like its still fishable past the reserve?
any kelp infested?

Fish count went into the shitter though. im suspecting due to coming storm and should pick back up shortly after it passes.

Please help keep info about the red tide situation updated.. its valuable information, and much appreciate.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
Lit-up1

Red Tide

I wouldn't let the red tide stop me from fishing-some fish use it for cover pulled from red tide so far this year
Old 05-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

I was out on Sat. and the red tide was in full affect.

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski
Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
Geoffkoop

I was out saturday too. Patches of the stuff, mostly on the inside though. Funny about the jellyfish...I saw 5-10 of them. Large ones!
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
cjthomas

There was a crazy red tide just outside the reserve on Sat around 11:30AM, but it was mostly gone by 7:00PM. It didn't quite reach the kelp but moved the macks from their usual hangouts.

I just headed in a north-west direction to get out of the red tide and I had found huge balls of bait before I even got out of it (so it is true than some fish are still there).

IDK if the red tide affected the yellows since they were way off in deeper water.
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #16
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit-up1 View Post
I wouldn't let the red tide stop me from fishing-some fish use it for cover pulled from red tide so far this year
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #17
GunWall Flint
Junior

is the red tide still around..?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #18
lterrero
Leo

Red tide comes and goes these days; I looked from the cliff today Wednesday & the stripes where there, west north west from the Scripps Pier, ended up surfing. I'm praying it will go away soon.
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #19
GunWall Flint
Junior

dang it, well hopefully its gone by next week!

postponed my 2 day trip for this week, to a 3 day trip for next weds thursday and friday so i hope its gone by then!

keeping my fingers crossed...

really wanted to fish the new moon tomorrow, last month's new moon was a jackpot for 4 yellows.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
bigbarrels

still with red tide out there does it kill the YT bite?
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote