Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Fishwhisperer619

Point loma kelp

Met up with finyak and fisher_4_life at mariners point around 6am. Made our way out of the jetty and down past the OB Pier to the northern half of the point loma kelp. Conditions couldve been better but werent too bad, some white caps here and there and about 3-5ft long rolling swells, but I was with good company so there was no discomfort for me, however it wouldve been nice to have mirage drives like finyak and fisher_4_life. Hit up some a couple patties on our way to the kelp, nothing much happening on the surface today. Water temps flexed from 63-65 on my fishfinder. Worked the outer half of the kelp tying myself off to the end of a strand. Worked a weedless swimbait most of the time and came up with a short calico (no pic) and a 16in sandbass (below). Sandbass hit as soon as I hit bottom (~50ft) and the calico hit on the retrieve in the lower third of the water column. Ill post a pic of the lure I used in the morning. As we made our way back we drifted for halibut. Didnt exactly come prepared for halibut so I tied on a 3oz shimano lucanus and let it make its way along the bottom using the swells to pick it up and drop it back down. Pulled up a little scuplin (once again no pic, working on a waterproof camera), probably dropped it infront of its face cuz I didnt even have time to engage the reel when it hit. A short way later from that I marked a pretty big fish in the drift and it gave me a good hard hit, went to set the hook, it peeled off drag for a good second, and it felt like it gave me a good hard head shake and spit the hook. WSB? SHARK? Either way it got my adrenaline going but ended up being the last of the action for me. I know finyak and fisher_4_life pulled up a few and hopefully they post their report with me. They also fished the bay when we came back but I didnt, had to go somewhere.
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Fishwhisperer619

Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
finyak

Hey Jesse it was nice fishing with you today too bad it wasn't a nicer day.I managed 1 released 15" calico for all that work,no pics I too need to get a camera.That is probably the farthest I've gone in 1 day in my kayak to date and my legs are pretty sore.I just read the fish counts today for the San Diego landing's and they released over 300 bass,shorts no doubt.So I feel pretty good about my 1.We will have to get together and fish Otay sometime.

Frank
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
Dannowar

Nice report. Get em next time. Low fishing pressure and long paddles will pay off eventually.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
fisher_4_life

I had the pleasure of meeting Fishwhisperer619 yesterday and fishing a new area with both him and Finyak. The fishing was a bit tough but it was nice to get out in the ocean and do some fishing. I ended up catching two calicos and four of the smallest barracuda I have ever seen. All in all still a great day out on the water. Beats working any day! Here are a few picts of the day. Not the greatest pictures but since the fishing was slow I didn't really have the camera going at all.

fisher_4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Ggiannig89

Sounds like fun! How long of a paddle to that area? That's tiny cuda but good to see they're here
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
CKallday71

Tiny Cudas mean that their big brothers, and likely migrating Yellowtail are getting closer.

Little Cudas are fun to catch on light line and chrome Kastmasters.
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote