Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
doggmann
Junior

Fishing solo yes/no ???

I've been fishing solo on my kayak for the last couple years in Newport Harbor and really like it. The only problem is I'd rather not eat anything from the harbor.

I've been seeing posts from other members catching WSB among other things out on open water in some of the local kelp beds. The idea of spending a day on the open water with the potential of putting a few bass in my fridge is really appealing. I plan on checking out the only place I've heard anything about (Corona Del Mar) since I'd be able to get there relatively easy and I'm familiar with NPH.

I've never fished open water and plan on doing it on good weather days and with a friend. Does anyone go out solo? Is it a bad idea?

I'm sure there are some things I'm just not aware of asking so please feel free to add your 2 cents.

Last edited by doggmann; 05-08-2013 at 07:17 AM. Reason: found lots of helpful info cruising this site
doggmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Dannowar

90 percent of the time I fish solo. And usually at night. It's peaceful.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
90 percent of the time I fish solo. And usually at night. It's peaceful.
X2

I love hooping alone at night. In fact I don't really enjoy it till everyone else leaves
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
X2

I love hooping alone at night. In fact I don't really enjoy it till everyone else leaves
x3 I normally fish solo. I try to get people to join me but it never happens so I'm solo 90% of the time. And night fishing solo is very peace full as long as your not drowsy and very far offshore without a GPS been there done that. Just bring food and a energy drink and you will be fine
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
ctrujillo

Talking

X4 minus the at night alone for me
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

solo missions a lot. even on rough days. if you're going for a WSB, i wouldnt count on CDM to produce any legals for you. gotta do your research and figure out where the WSB are being caught (usually la jolla or dana point). and you gotta do a night launch. if you've never done a beach launch before... longbeach is a great place to practice.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
PE.rider

Solo is ok, but more fun when there is a group...
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
Deamon

Solo...often. My daughter called me one night when i was alone outside. It was the day after the GWS was spotted in LJ and she's screaming "what are you doing? There's a great white in LJ. Get out of there now!"...Definitely had me looking around just a bit more after her call.
I prep much more on forecasted conditions before heading out (esp after each questionable experience ).

You need to be able to get back in your yak if you roll over...esp in rough conditions (prob when it'll happen, right?)...when your rods are dangling, mixed swell, wind, cold and wet...

Hobie guys need to be able to paddle back in if mirage drive fails...

Radio...protected cell phone...GPS...keeping calm under most situations

Weigh the risk over reward and stay on the conservative side always...
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
easyday

I hoop alone at night also haven't fished at night solo yet but plan on it soon I jist make sure people know where im going and what time to expect me back by and let them know if ill be out longer which always happens for me. Im really comfortable doing stuff at night (even though the wife hates it) so that's something you have to consider, but what it really comes down to is if your comfort level.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
fishing solo...at night?

Any Married person or if you have kids - you should buy a PLB.
It is the best insurance money can buy if you get in trouble kayaking or hiking in the mountains. Here is the one I use...I also have radio and cell and other safety devices but this is the best. Many, many lives would have been saved
if people were rescued earlier...here is one link...

http://www.thegpsstore.com/ACR-2881-...con-P2954.aspx

Personal Locator Beacon in a Compact and Rugged Design

Small and Lightweight but mighty powerful! The ResQlink 2881 PLB (personal locator beacon) GPS enabled rescue beacon is perfect for anglers, pilots and explorers worldwide.
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
Any Married person or if you have kids - you should buy a PLB.
It is the best insurance money can buy if you get in trouble kayaking or hiking in the mountains. Here is the one I use...I also have radio and cell and other safety devices but this is the best. Many, many lives would have been saved
if people were rescued earlier...here is one link...

http://www.thegpsstore.com/ACR-2881-...con-P2954.aspx

Personal Locator Beacon in a Compact and Rugged Design

Small and Lightweight but mighty powerful! The ResQlink 2881 PLB (personal locator beacon) GPS enabled rescue beacon is perfect for anglers, pilots and explorers worldwide.
Buddy uses this when he goes snowboarding solo up in colorado in high risk avalanche areas.
easyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
PapaDave

I fish solo almost all the time, must be my breath. It is actually kind of nice, no pressure to talk or fit in. I go day or night and for long days in the summer. As long as you excercise good judgement you should be fine.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #13
doggmann
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
if you're going for a WSB, i wouldnt count on CDM to produce any legals for you.
Thanks to all for the input, I really appreciate it. I'll probably be focusing on regular bass, not WSB. I plan on having to do some work for that!

I spend plenty of time inshore in remote areas hunting and feel safe doing it. I don't push the limits and use common sense.

Looks like I'll have to add GPS and PLB to my kit. The $$$ adds up quick doesn't it?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
solo missions a lot. even on rough days. if you're going for a WSB, i wouldnt count on CDM to produce any legals for you. gotta do your research and figure out where the WSB are being caught (usually la jolla or dana point). and you gotta do a night launch. if you've never done a beach launch before... longbeach is a great place to practice.

Hey! this interested me, I launch out of Newport and head south to CDM quite regularly. Among other species, the aspiration is to locate some legal WSB. I have read reports of skiffs pulling bigggg WSB 50-60#ers there... I understand that locating the ghosts is not theeasiest thing in the world and requires some luck, but what makes you say that CDM isn't the best for legal wsb?

Thanks!
Anthony
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
Raskal311

About a month ago a kayaker I ran into on the water spoted a large one in that area only a few hundred feet from the beach

once in a blue moon? probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHanded View Post
Hey! this interested me, I launch out of Newport and head south to CDM quite regularly. Among other species, the aspiration is to locate some legal WSB. I have read reports of skiffs pulling bigggg WSB 50-60#ers there... I understand that locating the ghosts is not theeasiest thing in the world and requires some luck, but what makes you say that CDM isn't the best for legal wsb?

Thanks!
Anthony

Last edited by Raskal311; 05-08-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
TCS

Consider water temp, distance from shore and your swimming ability. If your kayak were to sink and your phone didn't work, would you be able to swim for it?

I go alone and most of the time could handle the swim, but in winter when the water in LJ is in the 50's it would be a stretch. On those days just be a little more prudent and make sure you carry a bilge pump. Make sure the phone works and is water proof. Carry a whistle.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
About a month ago a kayaker I ran into on the water spoted a large one in that area only a few hundred feet from the beach.

Roger that, good to hear. I also launch out of Dana Point (not as much) my parents live in town there. I like that short paddle out of the harbor and the bait barge really hooks you up for the price, have you heard of more wsb numbers in the kelp off the headlands/strands/creek versus somewhere like CDM?

Any and all information is appreciated, been putting in some serious time otw to locate these fish in my area, all indications are that April/May is prime time for the big in southern cal

Thanks again!
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
doggmann
Junior

I'm not trying to sound like and idiot but.... What are the odds of actually sinking your yak? I have a Hobie Outback and unless I leave the drain open the hatches stay closed most of the time while I'm fishing.

It doesn't seem likely to me but then again I've mostly fished Newport Harbor.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
TCS

Not very likely, but it has happened. Damage to the scupper that you don't notice, water slowly leaking in that you don't notice till its too late...
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #20
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
Consider water temp, distance from shore and your swimming ability. If your kayak were to sink and your phone didn't work, would you be able to swim for it?

I go alone and most of the time could handle the swim, but in winter when the water in LJ is in the 50's it would be a stretch. On those days just be a little more prudent and make sure you carry a bilge pump. Make sure the phone works and is water proof. Carry a whistle.

x2