Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Lipripper92592

Fish Finder Screen Location

I'm pretty new to the kayak world and would like a bit of advice from people who have more time on the water than I. Currently I'm fishing out of a PA 12 and mounted the HDS5 on a ram mount. It's current location is on the starboard side gunnel. I've seen quite a few units mounted toward your feet at the sail mount, and I would like to know the pros and cons to each location, and why you picked that location to mount it. Having it mounted next to the mirage drive seems pretty far out easy reach, and controlling the sunlight glare seems to be more of an issue than having right next to you. But I can also see having on the FF on the gunnel might get in the way at times. Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Chris
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
RobFish
Massive Member

I too am on a PA12 w/ an HDS-5 G2. Placement in the sail mount.
It keeps me looking forward and higher up on the horizon line. I have to lean a bit forward to make changes, but I don't fuss with it all that often.
On my rails are Scotty Rocket Launchers.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Dannowar

Nothin on my rails. Same as rob. I like my rails free in case I have to beat a fish/bail out in the surf
Old 03-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFish View Post
I too am on a PA12 w/ an HDS-5 G2. Placement in the sail mount.
It keeps me looking forward and higher up on the horizon line. I have to lean a bit forward to make changes, but I don't fuss with it all that often.
On my rails are Scotty Rocket Launchers.
Do you have any issues with clarity or seeing the screen clearly from the sitting position? Having the gunnels available for rocket launchers is nice and allows having multiple rods quickly available and in view for slow trolling or drifting baits.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
salty pirate

I have my elite 7 hdi on a ram mount port side. I'm right handed and gaff my fish on the right side. I think mounting ff in the center has a few benefits. 1 less spray on the unit 2 out of the way. I like mine where it is and would only move it if the spray wrecks my ff.
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
Nothin on my rails. Same as rob. I like my rails free in case I have to beat a fish/bail out in the surf
Bailing out on shore break is one thing I did not consider, but having that FF there would cause some difficulties. It might be the red neck in me, but after riding horses as a kid, I tend to hop on the yak on the left side, same with motorcycles, bikes, etc and when I bail, for some reason, I tend to bail on the left side, unless of course I'm completely out of control. Thank you for the advice. On the forward RAM mount that rests in the mast location, do you have to drill two holes for the HDS unit or do the leads run down the RAM stub into the hull?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty pirate View Post
I have my elite 7 hdi on a ram mount port side. I'm right handed and gaff my fish on the right side. I think mounting ff in the center has a few benefits. 1 less spray on the unit 2 out of the way. I like mine where it is and would only move it if the spray wrecks my ff.
Thank you for the information, your going to have to show me the HDI unit sometime, I was gaming for that model, but ended up getting a pretty good deal on a GEN 2 HDS Nautic. If you ever want to carpool to LJ or any other spots, let me know as I'm in Temecula as well.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
ericko

Pa 12 mine is on the right side its just become a natural place for me to place it. I can gets my hand on it easily and those 40 lb tuna 40 lb halibuts and 50 lb wsb never been a problem lol cause i dont know what they look like
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
roadx

PA 12 w/ hummingbird 597

i use the sail mast, like you everything i "drive" i enter and bail to the left. so the left gunnel is not for me.
im right handed so i gaff with my right hand. and the sonar gets in the way on the right. the sail mast is a pain and not convenient if you like to tweek with the sonar but it's out of the way, easy to see and i dont fiddle with it as much.