Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Kailolo

Minimizing Rods and Gear

Thought I'd post my approach, tested over the last few trips to LJ, to minimize rods and gear and increase speed and simplicity of changing set-ups. Maybe encourage some further sharing.

A rod pre-tied with braid/mono leader/hook, can be quickly adapted for flylining, bottom fishing and/or trolling at depth. Braid on the spool is connected via a good swivel to fluorocarbon leader. That's the basic trolling flyline. To "dropshot", say if I spy action or structure on the sonar, I attach a "weight". The "weight" is a pre-tied set-up of ~15 pound mono with a snap-swivel at both ends. A torpedo sinker is clipped to one end and the other snap-swill is clipped to the same ring of the swivel to which the braid is tied. The set-ups are kept in separate ziplocks to avoid tangling. The weights can already be attached to one end or selected at moment of use.

To troll at depth, a set-up of a light (1/4 to 2 oz) torpedo sinker attached via a light split ring to a snap-swivel that is clipped to the same ring the braid is tied. So far, no noticable wearing of the knot over the course of a day.

With two rods on-board, each being pre-tied with braid/leader/hook, and the zip-locked pre-made set-ups, I can quickly change to any configuration.
Kailolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
da22y

Very good point.
I saw people carrying 4, 5,6, rods (even 7 one time) on their kayak.

My first thought is : they must be the expert of kayak fishing.
But do we really need more than 3 rods at one time ?
People carrying only two rods still bring in those trophy size fish .
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

sabiki rod (also used for calico fishing)
2 yeller rods (also used for sharks)

my friend takes 9 rods on his boat when we go yellowtail fishing. but he only uses 2 rods every time. if 1 hook breaks off, he goes to the second rod. if that breaks off, he ties a new hook on there. leaving the other 7 rods untouched.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Kailolo

I carry 3 rods, two for trolling/dropshot, one for casting. Any one of them serves for bait fishing rig by clipping sabiki to the line/ring, or even the ring on the circle hook! No sabiki rod!
Kailolo is offline   Reply With Quote