Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Dana Pt, 1-30-12

Got to the launch and met BennyBlanco. It was was cold and the offshore wind was very brisk. Water was 55º at launch time and warmed up to a balmy 57º by 11:00. Benny decided to join me for some pipe fishing and we launched about 6:00. We hit the jetty for no love and then headed for the pipe. Turned out to be the right decision.

While the bass were by no means chewing I had slow pick for 2 1/2hrs. Got 10 legals and 1 short. Plus I missed quite a few short biters. 3 were sandbass of reasonable size (below is one of them) and even had one sandico. The wind blew until 9:00 and the drifts were FAST, 1oz to hit bottom. But once the wind died I only had 2 fish and from 9:30 to 11:00 I didn't have single bite. Talk about shutting down. On the rare side, the onshore wind hadn't kicked up even when I left at 11:00. On the rarer side I saw a thresher twice (or 2 different ones). Haven't seen one since the beginning of fall.

As far as what worked, it was pretty simple. Most of the fish at a 4" Flurry in redfish. Got a couple on the 5" Big Hammer in x-mas tree and one on a keylime 5" MC slug. Every other color and size was left alone and I tried a lot of combinations. Of course all baits had some Hot Sauce for taste.

I'll let Benny tell his own story, but it was nice to put another face to a name and also to have some company. Thanks for joining me Benny.
[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/oW*vqSi3GnpTAVlsOvLo5AzAVRcX5nnvYLk-jacei8qqIpSiDFA1Y7ED7ogIOJYQyb-63*NMO013JiUFt79wrLn*VSJugIzP/100_0188W.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
echo1er

thanks for the report one day. I'll join you in the wind brad
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Yeah, for months now every morning there's a pretty stiff offshore. I don't remember that happening last year.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Bennyblanco
Ironman

Fun day

Sounds like Ed had more fun than me.the difference was that I anchor my yak to a lobster trap,and I was trying to land some bait so I can go back to the flats and look for a halibut.I was able to catch 2 good size mackerels . the winds were strong and it was cold I just didn't feel like paddleling back and back and forth.i did landed a good size sand bass 15"#thatwasmydinner.
When Ed left I hit the flats for another 2 hrs with no luck.feels good to be out there with people that share your interest.thanks for the company Ed,next time I can pick you up on my way.that's $10 savings already.
Bennyblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Amish Ed

Benny, any time you're headed to Dana or Newport on a Mon. or Tues. let me know.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
carbonbass

threshers? hmmm wonder if newport has any
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote