Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
robmandel

DP 7-23, wounded warriors day

what an amazing turnout from the kayak fishing community. we had so many guys show up that there were many extra kayaks.

23 wounded warriors got out on the water, and some of them caught some fish. it was kind of a slow day fishing. gotta tell you though, I could get used to fishing in 68 degree water. they all had a great time, and want to do it again. in fact, I think we got some new members to our sport. so, if nothing else, for that it was a success.

I followed a group that paddled to the headlands.

where after 4 hours of chucking plastics I managed one

had a great time, glad to get those guys on the water.

again, thanks to all who showed up and helped out.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
yakrider

my hat is off to all who have unslelfishly gave their time for this event to be a success...
and for all the wounded warriors...
well...
talk about unselfishlness and giving!
thank you for fighting for the freedom and lives we live that we all take for granted 99% of the time!
I salute you!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
WahooUSMA

Great job Rob....wish I could have stayed longer. Andy - aka Iceman (OEX Sunset)...You be da man!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
re8elmonk0341

Thanks to everyone that showed nd help out. I had a good time talking to y'all. I didn't spend much time on the water because I took some pain meds before launching. Food was awesome and drinks was cold.

Thanks again guys and God bless
Old 07-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
Lets_Fish

A big THANK YOU!

Thanks to all that came out to show their support to this group. Got to meet allot of new faces and had a great time out on the water. Thanks to Curtis, Rob, Andy and all the others for their stepping forward to make these guys & gals have a good day out there.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
YakMedic

Glad I was able to show up and help out yesterday. We had way more volunteers than I expected so I ended up staying on the land and helping where I could. Met some good people and had a great day. Thank you to all the vets and volunteers alike.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

Awesome Day.....

Thank you everyone who helped and thank you everyone for the kind words as well... I didn't know what to expect and had a great time from the time I left home till after I got home.

I appologize for not taking pictures of everyone but here are a few:
Attached Images

Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
Phatford

Few More
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
GregAndrew

Yep, great way to give back just a little to those who have given so much. I am ready to do it again as soon as you guys feel like hitting the water again. Doesn't necessarily have to be an event if you just have a handful of guys and gals that are comitted, send us a PM and we can hook you up with yaks and accessories. Great folks, great food and good fishing tales.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
GregAndrew

Great photos Ryan.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

Those are some great photos that captured the highlights of the day. I got WAY more out of this that I gave. I was incredibly proud to be one of the many kayak fishermen that came out to show their support. It was fun just hanging out! I hope this happens again soon.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

Old 07-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Amish Ed

I'm so glad the event was a success. Hopefully next time I can help too. I was a DH on a few trips for wounded vets and those trips were always so gratifying. I know I take a lot for granted, but try to remembers our warriors and pray for them.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #14
theluckypig

it was good times... all!

but did you see that nice tandem yak... wonder if it's for sale...

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=10939

Last edited by theluckypig; 07-25-2011 at 07:01 PM.
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #15
PapaDave

I had a blast, sign me up for more. I am available most weekends and at times in the evening. How about next Sunday out of O'Side?

Here's a couple more pics...
Attached Images

Last edited by PapaDave; 07-25-2011 at 02:24 PM.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
MVC

PapaDCh, we were going to follow you out to the pipe but the lady Marine that was with me was getting sick so we headed into the harbor. Did you lose any rods when the girls flipped the kayak?
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #17
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
PapaDCh, we were going to follow you out to the pipe but the lady Marine that was with me was getting sick so we headed into the harbor. Did you lose any rods when the girls flipped the kayak?

I believe the girls said they lost 1 of the 2 they had on board.

It was a very cool day. Glad to have been a part of it. Cant wait for another one to take place.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #18
Phatford

I am going to be heading up an Organization that is very similar, called Heros on the Water. We are strictly a kayak organization, and believe in the healing powers of kayak angling. Paddle Fish Heal....

I was very glad to meet everyone and please forgive me if when me meet again I don't remember your name, I am horrible at names. I was the guy with the Green Hobie and the Big Camera, my name is Ryan.

I have a few plans to keep things interesting and fun. HOW is a National Organization, however I feel the Southern California Chapter could be the largest very quickly.

We are building our HOW team now and will be having events in the near future. If you are interested in Volunteering you can either message me or call or text my cell phone (951) 473-3202 and leave a message (just assume I am fishing, ha ha). For those of you that have already contacted me I do have your information.

I look forward to building on an already great start....
Old 07-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #19
buttchaser
Float Tuber

It was great to be part of this , I'm ready for the next one !

Nice Pics guys!
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #20
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatford View Post
I am going to be heading up an Organization that is very similar, called Heros on the Water. We are strictly a kayak organization, and believe in the healing powers of kayak angling. Paddle Fish Heal....

I was very glad to meet everyone and please forgive me if when me meet again I don't remember your name, I am horrible at names. I was the guy with the Green Hobie and the Big Camera, my name is Ryan.

I have a few plans to keep things interesting and fun. HOW is a National Organization, however I feel the Southern California Chapter could be the largest very quickly.

We are building our HOW team now and will be having events in the near future. If you are interested in Volunteering you can either message me or call or text my cell phone (951) 473-3202 and leave a message (just assume I am fishing, ha ha). For those of you that have already contacted me I do have your information.

I look forward to building on an already great start....
Along with Ryan, you guys can feel free to stop by the shop and talk to me about this as well. As he said the Socal chapter of HOW has potential to be the largest in the nation and I think we will accomplish some very good things.

We have a lot of good people that want to back this chapter including full support from OEX/KFSupplies, Mr Gomes from UniButter/ Catalina Offshore Products, and many more. It is nice to have so much great support, should allow us to do what we need to do for these folks.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote