Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
reefer

BAIT TUBE

I was planning of making a bait tube, type that would hang over the side of my kayak. i was wondering if any of you guy use this style of holder, and what tip would you guys have. Some people say, keep solid caps on the end, it should help from having the bait push around inside the tube, as a result injury the bait. Others show strainer caps to allow water to pass through. Any tip or adive on what is the best way to go about this. Another reason why i plan to do this. I have never been to the kelp bed in my kayak. So i plan not to take my bait tank, reducing weight on kayak.
reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Have you tried to us a small bait hotel?
JohnnyCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #3
Regor
Greg

Never used one, but have read plenty of posts of folks making them.

You may get some replies, but just incase, here's a great old thread, and a real "KISS" tube pic

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/a...php/t-977.html

http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/f...2/DSCI0001.JPG
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
Chuck D

I have used one for years and I love it! Mine is just a 1 foot black 1" PVC pipe with caps on the ends. For the caps I drilled multiple holes in each side of the cap. Then I ran a line through each end and one cap hole on each side and attach both ends to each other. When I kayak with it i have a carabener in the front and middle of the kayak so it stays on the side and ensures water flow as the kayak moves. I can store about 5 macks at a time, any more they die. The only drawback to these little wonders is drag when the current is ripping and bait capacity. What I have found is that I end up using the sabiki more often to get fresh bait, however the fresher the bait the more likely you'll get hit so I don't mind. Great tool to have. Hope this helps!
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
I have used one for years and I love it! Mine is just a 1 foot black 1" PVC pipe with caps on the ends. For the caps I drilled multiple holes in each side of the cap. Then I ran a line through each end and one cap hole on each side and attach both ends to each other. When I kayak with it i have a carabener in the front and middle of the kayak so it stays on the side and ensures water flow as the kayak moves. I can store about 5 macks at a time, any more they die. The only drawback to these little wonders is drag when the current is ripping and bait capacity. What I have found is that I end up using the sabiki more often to get fresh bait, however the fresher the bait the more likely you'll get hit so I don't mind. Great tool to have. Hope this helps!
I been reading in some site, about using 4" ABS pipe, 1" to 4" big jump. My only worry is the mix size of bait fish, then with a 1" you are limited on what size to hold.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
reefer

http://photobucket.com/images/bait%20tube/

i found more images about bait tube
Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer View Post
I was planning of making a bait tube, type that would hang over the side of my kayak. i was wondering if any of you guy use this style of holder, and what tip would you guys have.
I use them when I'm hiking or carting in to a remote spot and don't want to carry the weight of a tank, or the weight of an extra battery for a tank.

I've made several in the past, but you're in luck because I just made a new one the other night.

For me the design constraints I want are something that is low drag so I don't mind pulling it, low weight, that opens and closes quickly, that is secure, that sits right in the water, and that keeps alive bait alive really well.

This tube is 3 inches in diameter, has half inch vinyl coated mesh at each end, is made with thin walled pvc and has a small diameter bungie setup to keep the cap closed. it's weighted to stay down in the water, and the tow line runs through the cap so if you loose the bungies or break them you wont loose the cap.

Here's some pics I took for you:

I also loaded up a vid which pretty much explains it.

So here's the deal. The mesh is too large for really small dines or chovies, but you do want to use those anyway in a 3 inch tube. Basically you want the bait to be longer then the tube diameter or it will be able to turn around. You want all the bait in the tube swimming the same direction essentually the same direction your going to be pulling the tube. So in that tube you put a 3 inch plus bait in tail first, then it swims forward either making it's own flow if you are not moving or with you if your paddling forward, swimming into the flow. Basically this tube works great for most baits we make with a sabiki I.E. great for Four to eight inch mackerel or large Sardines.

Bait tubes are a great simple way to keep bait, and easy to make.

Hope that helps. Good luck!!

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Chuck D

Quote:
I been reading in some site, about using 4" ABS pipe, 1" to 4" big jump. My only worry is the mix size of bait fish, then with a 1" you are limited on what size to hold.
My Bad, I mean a 2" by 2' piece of PVC. This can hold 95% of the bait you will catch out there. It is rare I get bait that wont fit. They sell these portioned out section of PVC at Home Depot for a couple bucks. Heres a couple pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6150341.jpg (36.5 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg P6150340.jpg (33.8 KB, 186 views)
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
reefer

yes, thank you all for the info and picture/video. Never thought about draging the bait behind me. I always thought of holding it on the side of the kayak. I also found this other kool pic or this unit on photo bucket. Now i will stop at my local Home Depot, buy my stuff. An get ready to have bait with me.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
Fiskadoro

Quote:
yes, thank you all for the info and picture/video. Never thought about draging the bait behind me. I always thought of holding it on the side of the kayak. I also found this other kool pic or this unit on photo bucket. Now i will stop at my local Home Depot, buy my stuff. An get ready to have bait with me.

Cool. I like the design of that one above though it looks kind of heavy.

Show us what you come up with.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

I have a couple that I used to use, just a little suggestion for you that seems to have been missed.

Since you paddle forward, make sure that the baits are inserted tail first...learned that lesson the first time out trying them...

The suggestion though is to drill holes on the side of the tube as well, I drilled holes the length of the tube at each quarter of the tube. That way, even when you are not paddling (to have water movement come through the front/back of the tube depending on current) you will still have constant water movement for the bait to breathe.

I have had baits lively and last all day, released upon landing to waters edge to escape the birds...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote