Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Freshwater striper lures

Not saltwater or yak related but someone may have some input. Reports coming in that coldwater stripes are jumping out of the water on surface plugs and swimmys, so im planning a trip to a local spot with my dad that's suppost to have stripes. Any suggestions on lures to use? Ive never fished for these guys before so any hints would be great. I know they like shad and feed close to surface during winter but beyond that this will be a learning experience for me and the old man. Thanks in advance.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
JOSER85

I use top water most of the time. Don't be scared to throw BIG baits.
I usually throw a Lunker Punker or Big Sammy's. White tends to be a good color in the winter. Fly lining chovy's works good too
JOSER85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

I have this old lure my grandpa swore by when he gave it to me that's like a spoon in anchovie size that says striper killer on it. Heading to Silverwood? I've kayaked there but not fished but fish were jumping the whole time I was there.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
fishinkid2010

I would recommend swimbaits, as in the hard body swim baits similar to something black dog baits or huddleston make. If the water is cold, chances are you will find them deep, keep an eye on the fish finder for them. Ice jigs may also produce if you find a school that is down deep.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Not saltwater or yak related but someone may have some input. Reports coming in that coldwater stripes are jumping out of the water on surface plugs and swimmys, so im planning a trip to a local spot with my dad..

Stripers will eat anything but local they are usually after trout or shad.

If they are eating stockers I still fish Huds BBZs even cheapo Castiacs on lighter line. Huds deep, BBZs high, Castiacs deadstick. Cheaper big baits that will work are made by Cordell: pencil poppers and Redfins still work but are considered old fashioned by some.

If they are keyed on shad try walk the dog baits like Z-spooks, deep try swimbats like big hammers etc in white white black silver white and blue white patterns. Heavy Bucktails work for fish deep on structure, and you can even catch fish on small iron type lures jigged deep at times, though you hardly ever see anyone doing it.

Bait and wait wise flylined chovies and sardines work on light line.

That's all lake advice. If your fishing the duct say so and I'll give you a whole different set of stuff. Shallow moving water, no trout, tule perch, shad and minnows in the duct, so it's a different type of fishing.

Good luck, Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Alabama Rig. Try it and you can't deny it!
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
fishinkid2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
Alabama Rig. Try it and you can't deny it!
How about this?
(I intend to try this my next outing... but I'm going to switch out the line on my calcutta for some 25# first )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alabama Rig.jpg (26.5 KB, 83 views)
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinkid2010 View Post
How about this?
(I intend to try this my next outing... but I'm going to switch out the line on my calcutta for some 25# first )

Better switch out to 40 pound.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
JeffB

Zara spooks and big chug bugs are awesome. I also love big 1/2-3/4oz rattle traps. That is what I have had the best luck with with schooling hybrids and strippers. Had them in a lake a grew up in and I swear by them. Rattle traps probably produce the best results, but you cant beat a top water bite!