Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Freshwater striper lures (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=12460)

William Novotny 01-30-2012 10:12 AM

Freshwater striper lures

Not saltwater or yak related but someone may have some input. Reports coming in that coldwater stripes are jumping out of the water on surface plugs and swimmys, so im planning a trip to a local spot with my dad that's suppost to have stripes. Any suggestions on lures to use? Ive never fished for these guys before so any hints would be great. I know they like shad and feed close to surface during winter but beyond that this will be a learning experience for me and the old man. Thanks in advance.

JOSER85 01-30-2012 10:40 AM

I use top water most of the time. Don't be scared to throw BIG baits.
I usually throw a Lunker Punker or Big Sammy's. White tends to be a good color in the winter. Fly lining chovy's works good too

Mr. Adventure 01-30-2012 10:52 AM

I have this old lure my grandpa swore by when he gave it to me that's like a spoon in anchovie size that says striper killer on it. Heading to Silverwood? I've kayaked there but not fished but fish were jumping the whole time I was there.

fishinkid2010 01-30-2012 11:04 AM

I would recommend swimbaits, as in the hard body swim baits similar to something black dog baits or huddleston make. If the water is cold, chances are you will find them deep, keep an eye on the fish finder for them. Ice jigs may also produce if you find a school that is down deep.

Fiskadoro 01-30-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Novotny (Post 106013)
Not saltwater or yak related but someone may have some input. Reports coming in that coldwater stripes are jumping out of the water on surface plugs and swimmys, so im planning a trip to a local spot with my dad..

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/1327/critters.jpg

Stripers will eat anything but local they are usually after trout or shad.

If they are eating stockers I still fish Huds BBZs even cheapo Castiacs on lighter line. Huds deep, BBZs high, Castiacs deadstick. Cheaper big baits that will work are made by Cordell: pencil poppers and Redfins still work but are considered old fashioned by some.

If they are keyed on shad try walk the dog baits like Z-spooks, deep try swimbats like big hammers etc in white white black silver white and blue white patterns. Heavy Bucktails work for fish deep on structure, and you can even catch fish on small iron type lures jigged deep at times, though you hardly ever see anyone doing it.

Bait and wait wise flylined chovies and sardines work on light line.

That's all lake advice. If your fishing the duct say so and I'll give you a whole different set of stuff. Shallow moving water, no trout, tule perch, shad and minnows in the duct, so it's a different type of fishing.

Good luck, Jim

The Kid 01-30-2012 08:25 PM

Alabama Rig. Try it and you can't deny it! :sifone:

fishinkid2010 01-30-2012 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kid (Post 106072)
Alabama Rig. Try it and you can't deny it! :sifone:

How about this?
(I intend to try this my next outing... but I'm going to switch out the line on my calcutta for some 25# first :D)

kobra 01-30-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinkid2010 (Post 106073)
How about this?
(I intend to try this my next outing... but I'm going to switch out the line on my calcutta for some 25# first :D)

Better switch out to 40 pound. :D

JeffB 01-30-2012 10:15 PM

Zara spooks and big chug bugs are awesome. I also love big 1/2-3/4oz rattle traps. That is what I have had the best luck with with schooling hybrids and strippers. Had them in a lake a grew up in and I swear by them. Rattle traps probably produce the best results, but you cant beat a top water bite!