Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Matar
I am just me.

San Diego

Headed down to down town san Diego in the morning and if I am by the convention center were can I dock fish or launch my yak at?
Matar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
todd one

If you want to launch,go north on Harbor Dr. about five miles, you'll past the airport. Turn left on Shelter Island DR. Folow that to the boat launch. The launch is right across the street from Humphery's by The Bay. Right behind the Convention center there are some rocks you can fish off of. I live dowtown, I know the area pretty well.
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
dniss

Another couple of options

Cross the Coronado Bay Bridge (the big blue one). As you're headed down to Coronado, note the huge park and small sandy beach on your right. That's Tidelands Park. Get in your right lane and hang your very first right (it comes up quick after passing the toll plaza, where no tolls are paid anymore, by the way). If you miss the first right, hang the second one and double back. There's a frontage road that takes you into the park. Closest lot to the launch is the first right out of the traffic circle. Decent fishing near the bridge, Glorietta Bay to the southwest. If you're in for a longer paddle, head south along the shore where the Navy Seals have their base. Some halis, lots of guitar fish in that area if you want to pull on something bigger. You can also head out into the shipping channel for deeper water, either back toward the Embarcadero or southeast toward the Navy ships. Just don't get too close, or you'll have gunboats chasing you off. You might even see them training their dolphins out there. Have fun, but remember that the northwest wind and flood tide can make the paddle back a workout if you're out in the afternoon, so you may want to opt for paddling upwind (toward the aircraft carriers) so you can drift back.

If you're into more relaxed paddling, easy fishing and want a better chance at some bonefish, head south several miles on the 5 to Chula Vista Bayside park (E Street exit, then zigzag right, left, right, left, right, it's just north of the RV park). There are ghost shrimp to pump from the mud at low tide, and you can catch several species dropshotting those (bring small hooks). Best for a morning session, as the wind there usually comes up by 10:30 or so (drift chutes are handy here).

Have a fun stay, hope you get something decent to pull on.
dniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
RK

directly behind the convention center literally is a dock area where if you can find a way to launch is a grat area directly west of that and a little south is the port of san diego docking area, this area has a ton of fish right on the ledge where the drop off on the west side is if you have a sonar its easy to find if not just fish either right up against the port wall or about 50 yards west of it and fish paralell along the drop off.......
RK is offline   Reply With Quote