Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

GPS Heading and Compass heading

Does anyone have any idea why the GPS on my fishfinder would read differently than my two compass.

Example my fishfinder would say that the Artificial reef is directly ahead of me at 212 degrees as i am paddling at 2.5 mph

I then looked at my two compasses and compass will say 190 degrees same direction i have a humminbird 161. I don't remember very well i have to test again i just remember that the GPS Heading was wayyyyyyyyyyy offfff
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
Lets_Fish

Adjust for Declination

GPS works in geodetic north while your compass is using magnetic north. The declination for San Diego is around 13°+/-. Your's appears to be out by 22°, not sure why.

Here is a link to the USGS http://rockyweb.cr.usgs.gov/outreach...gps_north.html

Here is a link to help determine your declination http://www.thecompassstore.com/decvar.html

Hope this helps.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
wiredantz

My manual says I have to change the gps from true north to magnetic north so I'll try that
Old 06-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

Does your system have a way to load updates on it from Himminbird? A friend of mine had a Raymarine GPS that was doing similar to that and they told him he had to pay for an upgrade to the GPS unit. Let us know how that change works for you.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
My manual says I have to change the gps from true north to magnetic north so I'll try that
The north pole is further "east" than "true" north (straight up) by 13 degrees or so in this region. So when your compass reads N (0deg) your true heading is 13. I always set my GPS to magnetic to keep it simple.

Other factors include wind and current. GPS only shows your track over the ground, while your compass shows your actual magnetic heading. So its not uncommon to see a variance there unless it is dead calm.

Finally, magnetic deviation and interference (sonar and power cables, other magnetic structures in the area, for example) can cause a variance.

But if you keep your GPS in magnetic mode it shouldn't vary more than 5-10 degrees in most circumstances, close enough for a kayak.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
wiredantz

So I set mygps to magnetic north and now I am off by 6 degrees if I slow down to 1 mph it can't tell which way I am facing because of the wind and swell once I pick up speed it almost matches my compass
Old 06-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
bubblehide

Frank, many digital compasses (it sounds like your GPS compass is digital) only work while moving, and you might need that 1+ MPH for it to function. You should be able to check if this is correct in the owners manual.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
GregAndrew

As Damian (Flydigital) said, with current, chop and wind you are not necissarily moving straight in the direction that your kayak is pointing even when you may be paddling hard. So, the reading on your compass is going to show you the direction you are pointing, while the GPS shows you the direction you are actually traveling.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
As Damian (Flydigital) said, with current, chop and wind you are not necissarily moving straight in the direction that your kayak is pointing even when you may be paddling hard. So, the reading on your compass is going to show you the direction you are pointing, while the GPS shows you the direction you are actually traveling.
Yep, to be technical, HEADING as defined as what direction you are pointing, regardless of where you are actually moving. TRACK is the direction/bearing over the ground. Compass shows heading, GPS shows track.

Think of it like this... if you are HEADING north, 0deg magnetic, going slowly at 1mph, and there is a combined wind/current pushing you at 2mph toward the south, your HEADING is 0 but your TRACK is 180 (and at a speed of 1mph). You're going backwards. Fishing for halibut this happens all the time at very slow "troll" speeds. The track becomes meaningless, and the magnetic heading becomes important. It can all get very complicated and frustrating when trying to return to a waypoint, especially when the wind and current are doing 2 different things. This is when you have to forget about the GPS for navigating TO the waypoint, use your compass or your eyes, and use the GPS simply for reference.

Some GPS units have a setting where you can change the speed threshold of track updates. I.e. if you set it to 3mph you will only see your track "direction" update after you go over 3mph. Worth playing with for your preference if you have that option.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
wiredantz

I have that trouble, for example at la Jolla.

I saw a spot with alot of bit arches but with the swell and wind i was having a tough time finding that same spot again the GPS kept giving me the run around because i couldn't tell which was the gps was point to ( it kept saying it was to my left so ill paddle to my left then suddenly i would say it was behind me or to the right. Often i had to go backwards and paddle forward again to gain some speed so my GPS can tell me where that spot was again. Sometimes i had to pay attention to the current to try to see what direction it was pushing me too. Then i paddle against the current to find that spot and drop my line. I found it a bit trickier at la jolla because i couldn't really throw my line without getting caught on the kelp...I have to find an easier way to stay at my spot....
Old 06-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
Whizz Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
I have that trouble, for example at la Jolla.

I saw a spot with alot of bit arches but with the swell and wind i was having a tough time finding that same spot again the GPS kept giving me the run around because i couldn't tell which was the gps was point to ( it kept saying it was to my left so ill paddle to my left then suddenly i would say it was behind me or to the right. Often i had to go backwards and paddle forward again to gain some speed so my GPS can tell me where that spot was again. Sometimes i had to pay attention to the current to try to see what direction it was pushing me too. Then i paddle against the current to find that spot and drop my line. I found it a bit trickier at la jolla because i couldn't really throw my line without getting caught on the kelp...I have to find an easier way to stay at my spot....
This is exactly why I perfected the "Crazy Ivan". If it was good enough for Sean Connery and the Soviets, it is good enough for me. Also, if you do it right, you can find out if there are any submarines following you. Feel free to make whale farting noises while you do this, it is both fun and liberating.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
StinkyMatt

Frank, I already told you, it is installed upside down.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote