Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Ndavissd

LJ 4/22 first time

OK, been kayak fishing for about 10 months hitting MB an SDB quite a bit over 2010 and 2011 and getting prepped for LJ with gear and equipment. Friday I have the day off so go for my first launch, 5:30am make the launch a little wild but did not get a bath. Make bait and stock my live well with about 9 7 to 9" mak. Start trolling, keep trolling, swells are not to small making for some interesting 1st time yak on the outside, still trolling, going south off the point when I get hung up in the kelp, start to turn when my rod goes over HARD, line starts singing, my kayak turns into the fish and I start to follow, line still ripping off, steer into the fish handling the rod with my right hand while steering with my left are you @#% me 1st time out of LJ and u hook up, are we gonna get this done............... Line is down to about 100 yards (65lb braid w/fcarbon leader 25 lb - mistake I would later regret) start thinking this fish is not going to slow down, line still ripping off, yak following, make the move to tighten the drag one click..........POP line break (at my knot above the hook to discover later)OK, first #$%^&& then ok I learned a few things, second what a friggin exicting few minutes, from the penthouse to the outhouse,. but hey I learned some things that are going to help me later...........and thank to everyone who post. I have been reading you reports since last year, without them I would have never even been close.............
Ndavissd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
dorado50

Shark or sealion only two options. No LJ fish could break 65 spectra with 25 # leader.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Shark or sealion only two options. No LJ fish could break 65 spectra with 25 # leader.
Comon D 5-0 you think you have battled the biggest LJ has to offer!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Shamu.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
jorluivil

I say it was Nemo on steroids.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Dan

tough break.. there were some big fish breezin that day...next time!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
bubblehide

Here's what Darodo50 recommends:

"wsb:,halibut,ass't bottom fish with occasional mackeral. 100# leader in case tsharks around.six months? damn LJ owes ya...good luck"
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

First lesson, set your drag, do not mess with it...

I am still learning this lesson.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #9
taggermike

Good job getting out there. Loosing the fish is a drag but you are in the game. Having the line break at the knot sucks. I've been quilty of failed knots too but I try to keep things as clean and sano as possible, especially when I'm basicly fishing for one good bite from a big fish. Fluoro ties differently than mono and is more prone to heat damage when you cinch the knot down. Keep the knot wet or use the old stand by, spit. Spectra vexed me for a while but I practiced my knots at home and feel comfortable with it now. When in doubt of the quality of any knot I always cut and retie. You can bump up your line size from 25 to 30or even 40. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
kurtfish

One click you'll regret for awhile

I launched at about an hour before you did on Good Friday in a green PA and tried for the other kind of bait for a couple hours with no luck. Good to hear someone hooked up that day with sooo many yaks on the water after one Yt posted the day before. I focused on the Northern kelp in the am and called it a day around 10am to take my son to a Dr. apt.

Good job on the hook-up and don't beat yourself up about the pop-off as we have all been there. I moved my lever drag one click as what was likely a huge WSB last Sept. right after Steveo nailed his 65 pounder. Just keep in mind that the more line you have out the more drag the line is causing as it runs thru the water so if it looks like you are going to get spooled with the first couple runs the fish or shark is likely to tire and the excess line should slow it down. The comment about not touching the drag makes sense with a star drag you should always set prior to getting wet. This is why I like star drags better than the lever drags you have to set once you hook the fish.

Good luck on your learning curve. Too bad you did not start fishing last year as it was much easier fishing with all the squid and eager to eat WSB and Yt. By this time last year I had over ten fish but this year I have only boated one Yt. Wednesday looks to be a full day of sun so I plan to launch my olive machine at 2pm. If you are out on the water feel free to say hello.

Take Care, Kurtfish
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtfish View Post
Just keep in mind that the more line you have out the more drag the line is causing as it runs thru the water so if it looks like you are going to get spooled with the first couple runs the fish or shark is likely to tire and the excess line should slow it down.
This may be happening, but also the diameter of the "spool" is decreasing causing increased drag as the line runs out (less mechanical leverage). I.e. a full spool setting may result in 10lbs of drag, at 1/2 spool it may be more like 14lbs of drag.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
GregAndrew

I don't know if you have checked out the break strengths of your fishing knots, but some are really horrible. Make sure you are tying the right knots for the way you are setup. A google search of "fishing knot tying and strength will point you in the right direction.

A big Black Sea Bass or big Bat Ray could also rip off a lot of line and break 25# test.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
-scallywag-
Banned

SWEAT first trip!!

I was out on the corner on friday, the yt where tight to the kelp but it sounds like you had it pretty dialed....with the vis pushing 20'+ that day I was also running smaller hooks and #20 flouro leader to #65spectra ....although, like the others said, #40flouro is what I use most of the time.

Don't be afraid to adjust the drag with a fish on either...I'm sure the "set it and forget it" drag advise is good for newbs on a party boat, but from a yak with fish near the kelp, structure, anchor lines and buoys you really need to be able to adjust on the fly, and then back the drag off when the fish comes to color....not to mention I'm sure you now know exactly how much pressure you can put on #25 before it pops .

thanks for the report
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
SWEAT first trip!!

....with the vis pushing 20'+ that day I was also running smaller hooks and #20 flouro leader to #65spectra ....although, like the others said, #40flouro is what I use most of the time.

20 ft vis?? i can see the fish under my boat! Everyone knows 60lb hate clear water!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #15
radastaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
yeah
poss wrong

happened to me
and it wasent a shark nor a sealion
nor a whale
or a spotted bus grouper

i uped to 30# leader after that one

p
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #16
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Didn't the youngster say he messed with his drag, and lost the fish??? Just sayin...

Anyway, I use my thumb to slow down fish burning line.

Back to hibernation, and the speak easy's.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #17
Matt
Support your local pangas

Nice job!!!! You'll get your revenge!