Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
sterling

Mike is right on with the Hali shot to the guts. I gaffed a 7# model from my kayak. I was really nervous about it anticipating the freak out. I hit him in the guts, (completly by accident). The bugger didn't make another move. I bled the gills and clipped him up. While paddling back in he did kick a few times and that was it.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Siebler

The best way to gaff fish is actually going to be with the hook point down, reach the gaff over the fish and just pull it in. It doesnt take a huge wound up jerk to get the fish on the gaff and there really is NO reason to miss a fish on the kayak, you are 2 feet away from it. If you work the gaff as I just said you wont miss.

Also dont reach for the fish, just get it to circle back to you until you can reach easily. When you reach you miss or you hurt yourself (my shoulder is proof of this from decking on tuna boats),

For YT and WSB (along with tuna and such) a head shot is great. For halis a gut shot will help calm them, Dorado a collar shot is best as the head is too hard and the other areas the flesh tears easily.

Just as Mike said about the Capt Rons techniques, This guy has dealt with more fish than most of us will ever dream of. I was lucky to learn most of what I know working for him.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote