Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #1
AZYakNewb

Need some help prepping for 2.5 day mothership trip!

HELP!!! I am signed up for the 2.5 day trip to the SC islands in June and need some help with prepping my gear and yak for the trip. I have fished the bays for spotties, and the like, but have yet to venture into "deep water"! I spend most of my time "bucket mouth" fishing at home in AZ. I have done some Redfish/Sea Trout fishing in FL and have the following I was planning on bringing:

1. St. Croix 7'6" Extra Heavy/Fast Action with a Penn 320 GTi spooled with 40lb Mono

2. Inshore Extreme 7'6" Medium Heavy/Fast Action with a Quantum PT Catalyst (low profile baitcast) spooled with 16lb mono

3. Quantum PT Energy 7'11" Medium Heavy/Moderate Action with a Daiwa Luna 253 (round baitcat) spooled with 60lb braid and a 20lb Fluorocarbon leader

4. Custom Spinning Rod 6'6" Medium/Moderate Action with Shimano Stella spooled with 12lb mono

I also figured I'd bring 2 spottie set-ups for the shore line of the island,as I hear the bass fishing is epic.

The kayak is a Malibu X-Factor with the basics, and besides adding a VHF handheld in case I get in trouble, what else do I need (compass, emergency gear - again, got the basics, etc. )

Thanks!
AZYakNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

you are good to go with the line class/rods/reels super clean water, bring some flouro leader in 20-30-40 for fishing live bait. Hooks #2,2/0,4/0 sardine, mackerel,squid).......plastics and surface/yoyo iron
Old 01-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
wade

MC Slugs/calicos
&

A Sumo JR iron with a glow back;/
Charge up the glow too on the boats lights
as soon as u get off, in the wee mornin' hours, fire off one of those...

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
AZYakNewb

Gents, AWESOME! thanks for the info and tips... really glad my gear will work as adding another set-up to the "wall of addiction" would probably get me divorced!

Forgot to mention that I will be in the SD area in March and would love to make an LJ run if anyone feels like breaking in a rookie. I am also headed to Hawaii in APR for work and thought I'd take a crack at it there as well. Does anyone know a good place to rent a yak and ply the waters out there?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
mtnbykr2

you should ask Jim Sammons, he can get you the info one way or the other...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
robmandel

2.5 day trips are really the way to go. you can get so much more fishing in, plus change up and do different things without losing out. think this will be my 5th trip. each one gets better as you become more familiar with the where's and how's.

first, consider what you plan to target primarily. for me that's calico. and they are always there: big, hungry, and mean. the pelagics might be around, and that's something to check the water and other conditions prior to the trip. it might not be worth it to focus on yellowtail all the time as they might not be on then. I might not even bring the bait tank. depends on whether I think I'll need it.

since you can leave things on the boat, bring way more than you need for any one session as you can always retool or shift things around. here's what I plan on bringing.

for bass: slug rig (65# spectra/short top shot 30# flouro. yeah, it's kinda specialized, but calico on the slugs. ain't nothing else like it.) 2 swimbait rigs, minimum 20#. usually I have them rigged either with different weights or colors. one lighter spectra rig for the weedless jigs. that's 4 for the bass, but it's what I focus on. you might need less. bass are big and you want to leave the light stuff home. 4-5 lbr's are normal. and you fish close to structure or the shore. you better be able pull to them away!! one of the 20# rigs I can also use to throw light iron or krocs if bonito roll through.

bring lots of plastics, different colors and such. some surface and/or weedless plastics. also gulp jerk shad in dark colors.

I'll also bring a bait stick and a jig stick, both 30#-40#. again, I usually don't fish bait much (and didn't at all last two trips) so the bait stick can double as a yoyo rig. I'll keep one with a yoyo or heavy iron, one with a surface iron.

that's 6, which sounds like alot, and I guess it is. it's more being able to adjust to opportunity.

one rule: never be without a jig stick. stick it in the back, out of the way if needed. but don't get caught without a jig stick.

the variety is awesome. if you're a halibut guy, there's some beasts there. if you are a bass nut like me, it's paradise. if you want yellowtail, and if they're there, then it's awesome. figure what you plan to primarily target.

other thing is clothing. you never know what the conditions will be like. I recommend waders, or at least paddle pants and a good dry top. a couple of layers of clothing too. it can get a little breezy and sometimes a little chilly. also, rod leashes. last trip a guy flipped and lost a couple of grand in gear. it's open water, and if you're not familiar with open water or waht not...it's not rough by most standards, but it's not a lake or harbor either.

see you in june. can't wait. should be awesome as always!!
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
Hunters Pa

I second the leash recommendation.

Also, put all your gear in a bin, like a rubbermaid. Will help keep your stuff together and minimize deck clutter. Bring chargers for your batteries, just in case, and I bring a powerstrip to help minimize bogarting the plugs
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
erinoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
MC Slugs/calicos
&

A Sumo JR iron with a glow back;/
Charge up the glow too on the boats lights
as soon as u get off, in the wee mornin' hours, fire off one of those...
I hear of someone else doing that and winning the jackpot..
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
GregAndrew

Take some weedles setups also to fish over the kelp. Definitely keep an iron readily available, don't bother with anything under 15# and have color selections.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
AZYakNewb

Sweet! Good info all the way around - and i will definitely remember the rubbermaid bin/charger/powerstrip advice. Got a few clarification questions though...

1. Got it on the line ratings, but what about the rod? How heavy a stick do you need (especially the Calico bass)? I'd rather be on the lighter action side of things for the fight, but I sure don't want to heavy hand them!

2. Jigging stick.... I am fairly confident a Jig stick for Largemouth bass is NOT gonna do the trick, so what am I looking for? There is a little clearance sale action going on at the local Sportsmans Warehouse and I can get a Seeker 7ft with a Penn 525 Mag (spooled with 30lb mono) for under $200. Is this worth risking divorce, or will the Heavy St Croix and Penn GT320 suffice?

So Freak'in excited...And the LTC just signed the leave slip! GAME ON!!!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
PescadorPete

Unless it's a "Lake Pacific" weekend, the fight will be more with the current, thick kelp and putting it in reverse as the swell pushes you up against the boiler rocks. For the bass, I use a Seeker 20# rod and a Graftech 25# rod, one rigged with mono and one rigged with spectra kelp cutter rig.
I wouldn't buy a 7' rod as a jig stick, it is too short for a really effective jig stick. Normally a 8, 9 or 10' rod and a bigger 40# class reel is more like it.
If you're going to fish live bait, you need a bait tank or at least a Plano Bait bucket.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
robmandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZYakNewb View Post
Sweet! Good info all the way around - and i will definitely remember the rubbermaid bin/charger/powerstrip advice. Got a few clarification questions though...

1. Got it on the line ratings, but what about the rod? How heavy a stick do you need (especially the Calico bass)? I'd rather be on the lighter action side of things for the fight, but I sure don't want to heavy hand them!
the calico bass are big and you fish around alot of kelp and structure. 20# minimum. something fast action that can handle 20# is the ticket. largemouth bass are nothing compared to the calico. for one, the big guys that live under the boilers or along the shoreline are in a rough environment and are built to survive it. the others live in and around the kelp, and they know how to use it. they must have some fish school or something. seriously. you'll see a steady diet of 4-5 lb bass there. trust me, you won't be heavy handing them.

look for a good inshore type rod. typical bassin' rods are a little on the lighter side. but, go with what ya' got. no need to buy a rod for one trip. though I've been known to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZYakNewb
2. Jigging stick.... I am fairly confident a Jig stick for Largemouth bass is NOT gonna do the trick, so what am I looking for? There is a little clearance sale action going on at the local Sportsmans Warehouse and I can get a Seeker 7ft with a Penn 525 Mag (spooled with 30lb mono) for under $200. Is this worth risking divorce, or will the Heavy St Croix and Penn GT320 suffice?
if it's the 270 class (12-30#) then will be a little light. if it's the 870 class (15-40#) then it's good. with the 525, it's probably the 270 though. big 5 has some decent sabre branded rods on sale for like $50 which would be fine. of turner's (out here in socal) has their house brand of californian rods which are realyl good, like $80-100. would be fine with the 320 for bait, but the levelwinds might not cast well enough. look for a minimum 8' jig stick. and you can get penn 500's for pretty cheap, fill it with 30#, and you'll be fine.

again, before you bust out for a new rod and reel, check first to see if you'll need one. last year, trip about the same time, no yellows. only wsb were speared by the skipper shane. so, it might not even be needed. heck, if it's that important, pm me the day before the trip. I can throw another jig stick in the car. like I'd ever need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZYakNewb
So Freak'in excited
me too!!
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
Hunters Pa

Oh, and get a vhf radio if you don't have one. Big benefit of this trip is being able to radio back for a fish pickup, more bait, or a beer delivery. They buzz out in the skiff.

And bring an appetite. The food is insane
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote