Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
frugalfisher

My best day of fishing this month 5/5/10

I was getting really excited about catching WSB everytime I saw pictures huge WSB on Big Water's Edge, however, I was really tired of seeing them without me holding the fish. I'd been paying dues with time on the water but hadn't come up with a trophy forever. A large halibut and several nice YT this year but no WSB. So I saved my fun money until I could pay for professional guide service. So I celebrated Cinco de Mayo with hiring Josh Pruitt, "The Darkhorse."
Hiring Josh was everything I expected and so much more. I cannot give Josh Pruitt a better referral that inviting my fishing buddies over for dinner (eating YT and WSB for 3 weeks now). Josh Pruitt is a Master Guide. Period.
We met after I finished work early at 3 pm. We went over safety and geared up on the beach. Paddled out to make bait, saw birds and crashing YT. Swing and a miss twice then BENDO!!- open water + surface iron = 18.3 lb YT!! Then we finished plugging our bait-tank's with Pacific "Greenback" Mackerel and headed for the kelp. Josh did his magical fish call or checked for the location of WSB central with his internal electromagnetic radiation sensors I'm not sure but he SHOWED me the fish I was going to catch! I was in cold disbelief! I hooked up my first WSB and successfully extricated it from the kelp forest with Josh's wisdom. I follow Josh's directions as best I could and hooked up again with a HUGE WSB but somehow my line wrapped around the tip an I had a short fight with a quick release. Josh was giving me a hard time for missing dinner with his girl but he was dedicated to helping me catch a TROPHY. We stayed until I missed a couple opportunities and then when I had enough he said let's move and run through the bait before we go. The next Mac was in the water for about 2 and a half seconds (seriously) and there was a huge crash and swirl 6 feet off my bow, line ripping and the fight was on. It took 45 minutes to remove the beast from the confines of the stipes and blades of kelp before I saw it. At first I saw only a sliver of silver through the mass of brown and said "it's small" but Josh knew better.
And now so do I.
Attached Images

Last edited by frugalfisher; 05-31-2010 at 08:29 AM.
frugalfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
roadx

very nice!!! money well spent.
roadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
dmrides

Sounds like you should rename the holiday and go back to celebrate it every year.

Dia de los cinco pescados.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
lamb

Nice fish James!!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
THE DARKHORSE

Thanks for taking a ride on the daily double, James!

While I had hoped you would wait a week or so to share your success with the world---ya' know,in an effort to protect the resource---I'm beginning to realize you're not one to disappoint me. Might I suggest a compromise of two weeks on fish reports---at least that's what I do these days. Waiting three weeks is ridiculous!

It's not that often when I scream "stop paddling and cast", that the guy has a jig-stick and knows what to do with it. James made a perfect cast, followed by short work on that fish---well done!

Your determination to pull a monster out of the kelp was long overdue, James. I'm just glad I could be a small part of helping you achieve your goals---love my job!
Old 06-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
ken aguilar

All i can say is WOW nice fish !!!
ken aguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
bellcon

Awesome catch and report James,

Can you pm me Mr. Pruitt's contact information?
I would love to get in on some of that action.

I have heard so many good things about him...
(and well...a couple of other things too)
I wanna see whats, what for myself.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
blitzburgh

Good lord, thats a beast!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote