Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Ohana

Dana Point, Saturday June 5th

Since I was not able to go out Friday as planned, I made sure I got out early on Saturday. Good thing as due to the Boat Show, the parking at the baby beach was occupied by boat show participant's pavilions. This meant parking in the Marine Institute parking, which was pretty good when I got there, but when I left, it was beyond full and lines waiting for a spot! So if you plan to go fishing Sunday in Dana Point, go early if you plan to launch out of baby beach.

Other then this, the weather was good. The wind was mild and from the southwest, turning westerly by the afternoon. Water was flat, except for a 2 - 3 foot swell, temp was 64 - 66F and no red tide. Skies were overcast all day.

I headed south out of the harbor and fished some underwater spots and kelp. As I had left my bait at home, I was using lures all day, but still ended up catching/releasing several small (2 - 3 pound) to very small (slightly bigger then the lure) calicos, and cuda's. The highlight of the day was when I decided to try something different and fish a Booya spinnerbait over these spots. I hooked and released some small cali's and was reeling in the spinnerbait when a small thresher showed up just as the lure was approaching the kayak. It was amazing to watch the little T chase the lure, circle it, stop to look at the lure, and whip it's tail back and forth like a cat while examining the lure. As this T looked to be born this year, I made sure that it did not get hooked and pulled the lure out of the water when it looked like it wanted to grab the lure.

Another good day on the water and avoided the skunk!

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Dean Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohana View Post
I headed south out of the harbor and fished some underwater spots and kelp.Kevin
I know some out of the water spots but paddling through the sand gets pretty tough . Pretty cool to see a thresher checking out your presentation, I plan on hitting up the point sometime this week probably head north out toward the kelp. Its been a while so I plan on being whipped by the end of the day. There are halibut just south of the harbor in really shallow sometimes. Thanks for the report.