Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #21
mo2vation

Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
Amazing. The fact it drifted that far and didn't get hung up on kelp. I also thought that something thats negative on the surface only gets more negative as it gets deeper. Anyway, I posted the story on the UT comment section to let them know they got their facts all wrong.
I'm a diver, and this is sort of true.

I've been talking with some buddies about this - now we don't know if its his boat... but if it is, wow.

The only thing we can come up with are these:
  • Its possible it was just barely positive. Like when you fill a gallon milk jug with water and toss it in the pool. It makes a heck of a splash, and takes minutes to rise to the surface. Its possible once he got off the boat that the boat became positive eventually and drifted along, mostly under the surface onto the jetty.
  • Something within the hull off-gassed. Maybe the battery, or several batteries, or other things that got wet. We dive with very powerful NiMH batteries in our lights and scooters. When these things get flooded, they give off all kinds of gas, often blowing the lid or latches off the light or scooter. Its possible something within the hull off-gassed sufficiently, filling the hull enough to get this thing to float.

There may be other things - if I recall the story, it sank either bow or stern first (not keel first) - so it could have become some big red plastic pencil was bobbing along just barely under the surface for a couple of weeks like some flooded lobster bouy.

I can't wait to hear back from Big Barrels to hear if its his boat. I mean, just wow. IIRC, the boat wasn't compromised - the hatch had water pouring into it from the bait pump. Dude can get out a brush and likely clean this boat up and have it back out this weekend.

Whatever happens, this is the material legends are made of:
  • The kayaker who's boat sinks out from under him, scrambling he finds himself adrift, alone, offshore.
  • Keeping his head together, and with a hand of grace, dude tries to shake down several passing crafts, only to be denied. Not losing heart, he sees another kayaker.
  • The great Samaritans in these Kayaks that the fisherman spots pluck him from the cold sea and give him their shoes and blankets.
  • The kind hearted and hard core dude doesn't want to ruin the day of his benefactors - now warm enough he grabs a rod and straddles the bow for 90-minutes and fishes with them.
  • The story is posted so we now have hundreds of paddlers and fisherman who modify their gear, think about what might have happened and become more safety aware after the incident.
  • Weeks later, the Lazarus boat - rising from the depths.
And, of course, the Forum that tracks this all moment by moment.

Somebody call Tony Scott or JJ Abrams. This is the stuff of Hollywood.

-Ken

Last edited by mo2vation; 04-30-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spulling
mo2vation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #22
walrus

BIGBARROWS BALLADfficeffice" />>>
He heard a mermaid whisper “come with me, I can tell you love the sea”.
He said, “I love my wife and she loves me, you and I can never be”.
>>
With a sudden splash his kayak sank, he felt a tug on his leg and then a yank.
He kicked free and was afloat , He looked around for a boat.
Two boats were near, but when he yelled for them they did not hear.
The boats were soon out of sight, and he wondered if this is where he’d spend the night.
>>
He heard a sound, it was out to sea, what he heard was a shout of glee.
He saw a skiff with a rod bent, and knew he could get there before they went.
With a determined stroke he swam toward the small bobbing boat.
Getting near the paddle he waved, and moments later he was saved.
>>
So when you fish, remember what those who love you wish.
They want you to come back, and be prepared for emergencies on your yak.
And always remember to put your fingers in your ears, if you should hear a mermaid whisper
“Come with me, I can tell you love the sea”.
>>
Thanks for sharing your story and inspiring me to:>>
Attach a vhf radio to my PFD.
Attach a whistle to my PFD.
Secure a bilge pump within reach.
Attach a strobe to my PFD.
Always WEAR my PFD.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #23
dniss

Good for you.

Glad you'll get your boat back. Your original post gave me lots to think about, thanks for sharing.
dniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #24
bigbarrels

So just got from picking up my kayak and here are some photos. Crazy stuff! The kayak ended up in front of the Lifeguard Headquarters in Mission Bay yesterday morning around 1030......I thought it was a new home on the bottom for some sort of critter being that it went vertical and disappeared like a scene out of Titanic (without the people flying buy, muscians, or romance) Everything on the deck was pretty much removed except one pole holder and, the seat, FF mount, GPS transponder, compass, and the leash for paddle. I also got back my bait tank, sump pump, billy club, and VHF radio (doesn't work) that was tangled up in wires of kayak.....the kayak has some new stick marks on it and the only hole is in the back where the rudder was torn out......I lost my center hatch lid which tells me when I flipped that wasn't locked down and secured (i think I turned one or two latches), which then allowed the water to fill rapidly and finish the job....so then my VHF radio was sucked into the kayak (no wonder I didn't see it) and got tangled with the wires....I secured the front hatch after opening it and didn't secure the middle before it flipped.....probably better that way in my case due to the fact I would have clinged to a kayak drifting south and would have moved out of the fishing grounds.....but who knows.....Anyhow, I think this experience has served as a good learning tool for myself and the kayak community here on BWE and I hope everyone is prepared and aware that stuff can happen quick. Also, if you sink a kayak it should be reported to the Lifeguards or Coast Guard so if it shows up there isn't a search party out trying to find a fisherman that doesn't exist (my wife and I talked about it).....another lesson learned

Tom

Last edited by bigbarrels; 04-30-2010 at 04:22 PM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #25
Gino

absolutely freaking amazing...
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #26
Aaron

this is like a soap opera. Did you spot anything that could explain the water you were taking on prior to it going down? I know it would be tough to tell with the "post-burial" damage...
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #27
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapdawg711 View Post
this is like a soap opera. Did you spot anything that could explain the water you were taking on prior to it going down? I know it would be tough to tell with the "post-burial" damage...

had to be the bait tank. The scuppers and hull are intact
Old 04-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #28
Lets_Fish

This story is just EPIC. The most important thing here is that you survived and did not drown. You also make some important points in regards to if you yak goes adrift or sinks, let the CG or Life Guards know where and when and describe the yak as best as possible.

Now its rebuilding time and then off to some !
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #29
Dennis

.. Good points on notifying the CG and Lifeguards about sinking your kayak. I agree.. Outfit another one, and get back out there.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #30
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I just heard on the evening news that the search has been abandoned for the potentially lost kayaker associated with the yak that showed up in the MB channel. Someone, should clue the media in on the full story.

The complete story is much more interesting than what the media has reported so far. Bigbarrels, this is the time for you to bask in your 15 minutes of fame. You should call or email your favorite TV station and tell them your story.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #31
Jimmyz123

That is amazing, WOW!
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #32
GregAndrew

Just talked to a Coast Guard boat today, and they handed me a sticker that you affix to your yak so that they know who to contact in case they find it adrift. You write your Cell, Phone, and Name on it in waterproof marker.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #33
Willy

Simply amazing.

So glad both you and your kayak have been recovered.

This really shows, the ocean is something so incredible, and beyond our full understanding.

Shocker the news media has fully botched the story. Never trust what you read in the paper, or hear on the news.
They will always fill in the blanks in a story with their own fabricated nonsense.

Great story Bigbarrels.
You've go an amazing tale to tell.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #34
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Amazing...

That kayak is back for a reason. It must have soaked some karma drifting underneath the surface.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #35
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

I think that the Malibu X-factor really is one tough kayak. I'll buy another one. Thanks for posting the photos. I hope Malibu steps up and helps you out. They may want to keep this U-boat.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #36
Caffeind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
had to be the bait tank. The scuppers and hull are intact
I've been curious about those tanks and how well they seal to prevent that. Is that by design or did the seal just fail?

Glad to hear this one turned out with a happy(er) ending than the media portrayed.
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #37
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydiego View Post
I think that the Malibu X-factor really is one tough kayak. I'll buy another one. Thanks for posting the photos. I hope Malibu steps up and helps you out. They may want to keep this U-boat.

I would buy another as well....Great kayak but I would have a different bait tank setup (5 gallon bucket) that doesn't sit inside the kayak.....or just make sure the sit inside bait tank was only ran with a timer switch (never had an issue prior to that day).....
Old 05-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #38
h2ofishfo

dude re-name that yak night rider no matter where u leave it it will come back to papa
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #39
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
dude re-name that yak night rider no matter where u leave it it will come back to papa
LMAO! Those animations sum it up pretty well! I like Night Rider but Zombie Yak was pretty cool too
Old 05-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #40
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
Amazing. The fact it drifted that far and didn't get hung up on kelp. I also thought that something thats negative on the surface only gets more negative as it gets deeper. Anyway, I posted the story on the UT comment section to let them know they got their facts all wrong.
Likely that your kayak sunk to a level where it's density (the plastic and any trapped air) matched the water's at that depth and was moved with the current/tidal flow.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote