Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
Japanesezero
Junior

Dry Jacket + waders=

Does a dry jacket and breathable waders equate to an equivalant for a dry suit? I already have the waders and a dry jacket is far less expensive than a dry suit. I know nothing can beat the real thing, but would it potentially save my life in some cold H2O?
Japanesezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
wade

ONLY if u have a PFD..cause you'll still have some water down in your waders ankles..

Dry Jacket + waders= Comfortable

PFD = Life
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Jim Sammons made a video a while back

buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Japanesezero
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
ONLY if u have a PFD..cause you'll still have some water down in your waders ankles..

Dry Jacket + waders= Comfortable

PFD = Life
Never leave the shore without it on my back. Calm seas in the summer i go for an inflatable, but cold or rough im wearing a white water deal
Japanesezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
wade

Thats is a GREAT video for the Quick self rescue situations outside the lineup.
(At the end you will even hear Mr. Sammons mention how he wouldnt want to experiment with this test in the impact zone,
which is where you WILL be, when you unfortunately bail.)
Don't get a false sense of security please..

Now take a real world rescue situation inside the impact zone with rips.
Get smashed & your now nowhere near your yak.The cold winter temps will shock you so fast you will breath like your having an asthma attack, and if you happen to get two drops of water into your lungs, things will now seem even worse..Your waders will be filled at least up to their knees..Your hodgemans will now feel more like danforths..
PFD. The American Express for Yakers...
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
greenscales
greenscales

Waders vs. Kayak Pants & Splash vs. Dry tops

Once again Jim provides us w/great information for the kayak community. However you need to be aware of the extreme variety of features in all of the kayak "dry" gear.

Bottom half - Breathable vs. Neoprene waders, Farmer John wetsuits, and paddle pants. The first 3 are pretty common, the paddle pants are similar to breathable waders, but have open feet w/various ankle seals, and sometimes fit over cuffs. They are used with various neoprene booties that should create a decent seal w/the legs. They are shorter in the waist and work better with a top that has a double tunnel seal. I like these for spring conditions and create more freedom of movement. Easier on and off, allowing you to launch in the AM then slip off as it warms up. It also allows you take care of business if needed for long days on the water - that or get breathable waders with the zip down front - awesome if made well. On the waders, look for reinforced seats/fore legs, to get greater life -- see the darker material on Jim's waders in the video.

The tops - the extreme dry tops can be too much when it comes to heating up while paddling. They usually have too much of a seal in the neck that doesn't open up enough to breathe and can bother the skin or heavier beards - however they have better seals in the wrists. I hate water running down into the arms, creating a soggy shirt sleeves under the top. The splash tops often have seals that are too weak if you launch through heavy surf or on cold/windy days. Semi-Drys are usually a good happy medium. The thing to consider is the double tunnel, an inner sleeve at the waist that usually tightens with a draw string that goes inside the waders/bottoms. Then the outer sleeve is heavier with draw strings or Velcro strap closures around the abdomen. However the inner sleeve does not work well with chest waders that are too high or if you use the suspenders.

The double tunnel was originally designed to fit over sit-inside kayaks cockpit gaskets. I have used them in winter conditions on windy lakes and really appreciate how it kept the water/weather out and made me feel more connected to the kayak. A great option for Lobster fishing and in fog/rain are Hoodie splash jackets. I just bough an Extrasport model that has a modified (shortened) double tunnel w/a waterproof front zipper, adjustable hood w/bill, and side access zippers that can be used to vent while paddling or putting your hands in to keep warm. Only weakness are wrist gaskets that do not seal out enough water.

I hope the information proves to be helpful. Invest in better products, if you go cheap, the lack of durability will cost more in multiple replacements. Consider your most extreme conditions, not your average day.

Tight Lines,
Greenscales
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

From my experiences, everything posted above is true. It is a no-brainer to always wear a PFD, (even for you bullet proof 20-something year olds). I am a very strong swimmer but when I get dunked in 50 degree water, the initial shock gets my attention and for a few moments I feel a bit of panic. The PFD will keep you afloat until the shock wears off and you get your wits back. If you become separated from your yak or are injured, it could save your life.

The wading belt is another really important accessory. It has not come into play for me in a kayak yet but when I slipped off the edge of a rock while fly fishing a fast moving stream, (no PFD in this situation), the belt kept most of the water out of my waders so I was able to float downstream to safety.

As for paddling jackets, I am sure that they are nice to have but the good ones are really expensive. The inexpensive ones wear out very quickly, (one washing for the one I used to have). I ended up picking up a waterproof nylon shell with a waist drawstring and Velcro at the wrist. REI has a good selection of these. This shell keeps me dry during the wettest launches. It stops the wind an is easy to take off and store away when conditions warrant.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Wear a PFD and if you use waders; always wear a wading belt.
I lived in North SD County most of my life; but since I moved up to the PacNW; I've learned a lot about what to wear in cold and wet weather. You can see what we wear for cold and wet weather here.
50F water here is tropo; it's mostly windy and rough. Almost always on your own.
Take a tip from the Boy Scouts; Be Prepared.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Thank you Jim for posting this - Great video....thanks for the proof!!!
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote