Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Trophy fishing...

Unfortuneltly the cure for ghost fever isn't universal and every angler requires a different syrum, but I thought I'd share the cure for mine in all her glory. A fish that hit like a Sealion, fought like a forty pound Yellowtail, and a fish I'll never forget!

The question of what makes up a trophy is hard to answer, incredible fight, huge head, giant tail, mabybe a new personal best...since fishing is an individual sport, it's personal. Everyone has a different opinion of what makes up a trophy and in fact there's no right answer if you asked me. For all the anglers who've pursued White Seabass in particular without success, that first fish over 28" is a keeper, photo worthy, and they're equally stoked as I would be seeing a sixty pounder below. For years people would ask me "why in the hell would you let that forty pound White Seabass go"? The answer is pretty simple, after you catch a few in the fifty pound plus range the thirty pound models just don't look the same, completely different...or Trout as I like to refer to them. These fish in the thirty pound class remind me of the larger Speckled Trout I caught as a kid and I can't imagine keeping one today, but that's just my opinion. I know the conservation argument of a fifty pound fish has more eggs than a thirty pound fish, and with a larger stomach it's a little hard to argue. My personal opinion, my belief, and only that, on this subject is that "my choice" of the size fish I harvest has had that opportunity to spawn all those extra years to become that mature trophy. In my opinion, more eggs and in time more giant Croakers roaming the California Coast would be around if others adopted the same harvest practices. The facts are the facts, these larger/smarter fish are harder to catch and they defend themselves quite well. The young and dumbs (White Seabass under forty pounds) as I like to call them remind me of the ever present Thresher Sharks. They often break the notorious lock-jaw rules of the elusive creatures they will become...trophies. I would never force my opinion on a stoked angler with a large Trout, quite the opposite, I thrive on that stoke! More often than not each angler has their own personal best hurdle which sets that trophy bar a little higher each time. In a perfect world you would start off small and gradually work your way up over the years, enjoying each additional pound as you climb that personal ladder of success. But for some that barrier is put out of reach for the rest of their lives on one of their first outings. The word curse is probably a little strong, but the curse of the early giant is what I like to call it. I've seen it time and again when an angler catches that ridiculous fish of a lifetime without putting in the work, well, not near the amount of time you'd expect to catch one of these treasured trophies. I refer to this as a curse due to the typical downward spiral of success that typically follows the years to come. Those fifty pound Yellowtail, forty pound Halibut, and sixty pound White Seabass are hard to catch. Not only do these larger fish put up an incredible fight, but the fact of the matter is they don't get huge by accident, certainly not by being dumb. They're smart, know every piece of structure in the surrounding area and have probably escaped the gaff many times along the way. Their site at color alone probably caused panic on a numbrer of occasons, causing the angler to make a mistake. Maybe tightening the drag to get those last few wraps on the spool, or in the case of when the Yellowtail of my dreams came to color years ago, the opposite.

After catching more than I would ever post on the internet this season, I've been keeping less than one White Seabass a week. Funny how the law allows one a day and people will talk crap about keeping one White Seabass a week, hmmm. I find it highly unlikely any of these same people will be fighting for our rights to continue protecting our precious fishing grounds. I've said it many times and I'll say it again, the anglers are the only ones who really care about this fishery and the future of our coastline. Together we protect and serve, extending the arm of our under-staffed Department of Fish and Game. My question for the new members who act as if they belong to the kayak community and fishing community as a whole. : If keeping one White Seabass a week (1/7 of the limit) is too much, how many do you think we should be able to harvest? Unfortunetly, I think I know the answer to that question and the number doesn't change for the entire year or the rest of our lives.

Today was my first trip after finding the ghost fever cure a couple of days ago. I didn't realize how much I've missed searching open water...refreshing! All that empty space, ground to cover, without so much as a mark on the sonar for extended periods of time. If finding fish in open water wasn't a challenge I doubt it would be nearly as fun as it is. The excitement of watching boats constantly run over each others trolling lines, entertainment at it's finest. You would think it's obvious one's trolling lines would be behind them, but apparently not. The funniest part on this mid-week day is that there were just a few boats out with the typical cattle-boat fleet of two. The few boats did their best to make it seem like a Saturday, constantly running over each other and fishing the chum-lime of the sporties, funny stuff! I couldn't help but think of how many more fish those gas guzzler's would catch if they just stopped to fish a while, but then again that's just more for me...keep runnin' boys!

Just like I assumed, the Yellowtail welcomed me back with open arms and the fish were just where I left them. As usual the weather man was full of crap (the forecast called for heavy cloud cover and strong winds), turned out to be a beautiful day on the water. This day was a celebration of sorts, a gas station of fuel for me to drive in traffic and speak up for our rights, to do everything I can to protect this incredible place from the over-funded bias jury we face.

This 30-80 lb rated rod barely bends under the tail thumps of the right kind, but it was obvious what was on the other end. I like the track of the line in the water as this fish runs from left to right in the photo.

A beautiful specimen, the epitomy of health, with the physique that resembled a Yellowfin Tuna more than a Jack. As usual, this Yellowtail barely moved a muscle as I gently slid her over my legs, removed the hook, and a quick photo was taken. I whispered in her ear to never chase colorful-irons and stay away from me when she's older. An awesome fight that was rewarded with a high-dive from the kayak and a new lease on life...I hope she takes my advice .

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 06-03-2009 at 06:22 PM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
bellcon

And after reading that...
I think I will just sign off...
Sit back...
Crack open a cold one...
And smile with you...

High Five my friend!
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
punchjamesarnol

Nice story and badass catch ! I would have said the same thing if... I had accidentally dropped the yellowtail in the water . Lol!!! J/P I have yet to catch one of those bad boys! Again congrats on the prize catch.
punchjamesarnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
KennyHill

Another great read . That is a beautiful yellowtail.
KennyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
Dennis

.. That was deep. Nice ones Josh.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
herefishyfishy!

You are the freaking man!

By the way, I'll be first in line at your book signing someday..."could you make that out to E-V-A-N..."

Evan
Old 06-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
fishinkid2010

WOW... that WSB is a behemoth! nice going!
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
bob
Junior

New to bwe.

Your classic. I have also caught many big fish. Your a great fisherman. I have had the luxury of fishing gill nets as a kid with my uncle from oceanside to lj. Ya Ya gill nets I know. Sorry fish huggers. Oceans version of tree hugger. I hope the fish huggers dont bother you. We would pull up hundreds of white seabass that were trash cause eels would eat them from the inside out in the nets. I can tell you I have seen our boat so full of white seabass we had to take two trips. That massive haul was not in lj it was north. My spot for big toads is north. Its funny how the sheepal flock to the corner of lj. . I will bet the bank you are sitting in the thick of the kelp with heavy gear. maybe a white iron with a greeny pinned to it. Light drag and wait till it gets wraped in the kelp. Then you deal with it. The fish are getting much larger than the gill net 80s. I can tell you guys that are bummed at this guy for catching 5 10 or 50 of these fish your nuts. I have seen first hand the fish are more and bigger than ever. Since the gill nets are gone. No joke I caught a 70.3 lbs hali at my spot. Maybe a record but no claim to fame. Get real fish huggers and learn how to fish. Thanks for sharing.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
THE DARKHORSE

New blood is welcome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Your classic. I have also caught many big fish. Your a great fisherman. I have had the luxury of fishing gill nets as a kid with my uncle from oceanside to lj. Ya Ya gill nets I know. Sorry fish huggers. Oceans version of tree hugger. I hope the fish huggers dont bother you. We would pull up hundreds of white seabass that were trash cause eels would eat them from the inside out in the nets. I can tell you I have seen our boat so full of white seabass we had to take two trips. That massive haul was not in lj it was north. My spot for big toads is north. Its funny how the sheepal flock to the corner of lj. . I will bet the bank you are sitting in the thick of the kelp with heavy gear. maybe a white iron with a greeny pinned to it. Light drag and wait till it gets wraped in the kelp. Then you deal with it. The fish are getting much larger than the gill net 80s. I can tell you guys that are bummed at this guy for catching 5 10 or 50 of these fish your nuts. I have seen first hand the fish are more and bigger than ever. Since the gill nets are gone. No joke I caught a 70.3 lbs hali at my spot. Maybe a record but no claim to fame. Get real fish huggers and learn how to fish. Thanks for sharing.

I appreciate your views, and I believe you to have a past with gill-nets as it sounds as if you speak the truth. I too, know more than one old time netter and I've heard all the stories of wasted toads full of holes. Although, I've heard missing stomachs were thought to be from Sealions or Sharks. Apparently many creatures love the internals of White Seabass over the body. Either way, I respect your opinion, and I would bet your a pretty kick ass fisherman yourself. I doubt thousands of hours on the water hurt your success ratio today.

As far as technique goes, close, but no cigar. As a matter of fact my two largest White Seabass this spring weren't caught in the kelp, and fewer have been in the kelp every day. I know this because 98% of the WSB I've caught, I watched them eat, and I keep a close eye on the number of fish I see (location, size of schools, paired up or not, and agression level towards food). Like divers, I've learned how to track them daily...they have tails so each day's different though. I caught 75% of them on squid and the last 25% on Mackerel. My gear isn't really heavy either, and I don't just let them wrap up. I've found them to be masters of shaking the hook when wrapped, and I prefer to use heavier drag to cut the kelp and shorten the fight for release. I use hooks that straighten out under a certain load, a load that's similar to what the line I use can handle. Maybe back in the day heavy gear would have worked, but the fish I catch won't touch heavy line. I've done the experiment many times, watched them laugh at heavier flourocarbon, switch to the lighter stuff...Boom. If only I could get bit at greylight farther down the water column, but I specialize is sight fishing and I only caught three I didn't see first. The best part about this technique is you pick your target, let the smaller grade swim by, and if you know what you're doing 99% of the time hook them in the corner of the mouth. I only had one fish under fifty that I kept because she was hooked a little deeper, a 42.5 lb fish. I would have released her, but I couldn't get the hook out safely and she was bleeding (not gut hooked). This was the only fish that I hooked deeper than I would have liked, it broke my heart to accidently take the wrong fish. It's an amazing, stressful, tight rope fight which some fish win, and nine straightend out hooks to show. Most fights last just over a minute, and like any fight there can only be one winner. Some will say "WTF, now guys are going to duplicate your technique and wipe out the WSB population"...good luck, I could write a book with all the other details you'll need for this technique to work. And anyone who can't tell the WSB and Yellowtail population has exploded over the years isn't looking.

Should I assume that spot you hold dear and secret lies straight out from Cardiff Reef, from the 100 fathom line working in...how many tons did you take from there?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
dorado50

You my friend are having an unbelievable year!!!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
1Flatfish
Wayne

Stoked about my trout

I got my first recently, and Josh was my teacher and witness. He was just a "trout" but it truly stoked my stoke to new levels! I know you were a little dissapointed that I didn't release him and go for bigger, but I also know that you understood. And now I can proudly say I won't suffer the curse of the early/easy trophy. I have only UP-sizing to look forward to. I am only an amateur weekend angler, but when I'm out there, I try my best. To me it's about learning and getting a little better each time. With your guidance, I feel my limited time on the water is better spent. Thanks Josh, you are an inspiration.

Wayne
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
DENNYh

Are those shades kaenons? If so are they worth it. Been thinking about getting me a pair
DENNYh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #13
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNYh View Post
Are those shades kaenons? If so are they worth it. Been thinking about getting me a pair
careful, their customer service really dicked me around on a pair of shades that pretty much fell apart.

nice fish josh. i'd take that schoolie over a cbass any old day...bummed to have to paddle in to work yesterday just after things got started....
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
Dan

although on second glance, that Cbass is pretty tits.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #15
bigbarrels

bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #16
Podaker

nice post josh (as always) A true waterman
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #17
fishpatrol
Junior

josh or should i call you "the Mallard" you have some good points ,but i for one think that your shit eaten grins are getting old but hey all your lapdogs love waitin to see your daily posts. I respect you for your knowledge but dont agree with your ego.........
fishpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #18
habanero

habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #19
THE DARKHORSE

Oh no, hardcore O.B. local...less waves for me I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpatrol View Post
josh or should i call you "the Mallard" you have some good points ,but i for one think that your shit eaten grins are getting old but hey all your lapdogs love waitin to see your daily posts. I respect you for your knowledge but dont agree with your ego.........

Lapdogs? Whoa Brody, that's a sick hardcore surf lingo way to refer to computer lurking fisherman. Let me guess, your favorite word to say is Koooooook to every person you don't recogize in the lineup. Feel free to call me "The Mallard", but that makes the origin of your emotions pretty easy to figure out. I know, I wasn't born here, my parents fell in love and bought land outside of California. I will hate them for the rest of my days for not making sure I was born here...better yet, I guess I should hate my grandparents for not having my parents born here . Obviously I will be paying for that the rest of my non-local life.. it sucks not being a local, but I quit caring about that ten years ago when I realized my non-local status would never change.

And my all time favorite, a guy talking about another guy's ego, really his perception of that guy's ego who he's never even met. If that's you in your bio picture, I don't know you and you certainly don't know me. I'm pretty sure we've never even met. If so, pretty fascinating talking about a guy's ego who you haven't even met.

Are we dating, are you looking for a boyfriend, why would a man be concerned about another mans ego?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #20
Gino

Nice Report! i enjoy reading your post. Keep them commin.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote