Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
red34
Junior

Humminbird Thru-Hull Tansducer for non-Ocean Kayaks?

I am doing the x-change for on my Humminbird transducer for the kayak model (XTH 9 20 P) http://store.humminbird.com/humminbi...d710167-1.html

I was wondering if any of you guys had used these on non-Ocean Kayaks. I own a Malibu. I understand that it will not be perfectly flush with the bottom and that I might have to remove it when landing, but it's a free exchange so if it doesn't work, I'll just mount it internally. Please let me know if you've done it and post pics if possible.
Thanks
red34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Billy V

Personally, I would not mount a transducer through the hull of my kayak, but thats my opinion.

2 reasons.

The picture I get with the transducer mounted inside the hull using slow cure epoxy is very good, better than my last application using marine goop.

The second is the possibility of a leak developing while I was offshore, or anywhere else for that matter. Your kayak will flex with use even in calmer waters.

I don't make holes below the waterline.

2 cents.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Jim Sammons LJKF

This is meant as a through the scupper application not through the actual hull.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
forefrazier

I think he might be talking about putting it through a scupper hole like on the OK Trident. Some of the Malibu's have a slight indentations on the bottom of the scuppers. Not quite a perfect fit like the Trident's but it might work as long as you didn't run it up on the beach.
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
mrJB

Red34-
On my old Malibu eXtreme (the one with the foamed interior), I used to run the transducer through the seat-area scupper. The scupper was large enough to hold the transducer nicely, and well below the line of the hull. My newer eXtreme has different scuppers and, because the transducer would be sticking out slightly, I elected a different mounting system, knowing I would be doing some serious damage if I were to drag the kayak across the sand. Not only from sand abrasion but possibly torquing the scuper enough to cause cracking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scupp4.jpg (61.7 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg scupp3.jpg (51.7 KB, 211 views)
mrJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by red34 View Post
I am doing the x-change for on my Humminbird transducer for the kayak model (XTH 9 20 P)
A nicer option if it works with your unit is this one:

They are pretty rare. Look for XFM-9-20-P

2 inch shaft diameter. 3 inch puck diameter and it only sticks out less then a 1/4 inch under the hull. Dual frequency 200/83 and 20 and 60 degree beams.

You have to cut a hole in your kayak just like with a bait pump intake thru-hull but the performance would be great and you don't have to worry about it snagging anything launching or landing.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
red34
Junior

I am planning on going through a scupper hole. It looks like it will be about an inch off the bottom of the boat, but with the natural rocker of the bottom from the center line to the sides, the transducer might not hit the bottom. I'll have to see when it comes in. The tracking lines of the boat are recessed a little, so I'll have to see how everything lines up. If it doesn't fit or look right, I'll switch back to mounting it inside with goop.

I'm not big on any holes below the water line, both for my own and what it would probably do to the resell value so that other transducer really isn't an option for me.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
red34
Junior

Here's what I came up with from Humminbird. The thru-scupper transducer was a free replacement when I bought my new PiranahMax 220. This way I get the better readings but I don't have to go through the bottom of the kayak. Hopefully it doesn't affect the glide too much.

Its a pretty clean look with no holes drilled!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJB View Post
On my old Malibu eXtreme (the one with the foamed interior), I used to run the transducer through the seat-area scupper.

Very nice!!! I tried a similar setup with m x-13 but it was not nearly as cleanly executed as your install. I eventually though just cut a hole in the hull and made a flush setup.

Well done though it's nice to see someone who takes pride in their work.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote