Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
Salty

Black Sea Bass?

Question about Black Sea bass: How frequently do you guys encounter these fish? Had an offshore trip planned on my friend's boat last Friday, but after seeing how bad the wind forecast was, we decided stay close to shore and pray for some local yellowtail. Found a good spot to anchor up and got some lines in the water. First hookup was almost instant and ripped line off my Talica10 on full drag like it was nothing. Thought it was a big YT, but after a fun fight it turned out to be a big black sea bass. We ended up catching 2 more for a total of 3 good-sized BSB, among other calico/sandy and whitefish within a few hours. We had several more really good hookups that didn't stick, but felt the same and I feel safe assuming it was the same species. I've only ever heard of these fish being caught here and there, not 3 on one boat with a crew of 2. Just wondering if anyone has encountered anything like this, either on a boat or kayak, or if this really was a unique experience. Hoping this was a sign that the local populations are recovering!

(Note: We know how to handle these fish responsibly. Each fish remained in the water, never touched the boat, was handled with gloves and was released under their own power with no injuries within minutes of seeing color)
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #2
fishnfoool

Were they all the same size? It could be the same fish biting over and over again.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoool View Post
Were they all the same size? It could be the same fish biting over and over again.
Nope, definitely all different sizes!
Old 08-02-2020, 10:31 AM   #4
Flounder

Black Seabass

I catch blacks all the time around sd waters from my pa. Good fights even down to the 20lb ones with cool spots although when you are looking for a good white, hali or yt, it is kind of like getting a 2nd place trophy. They average 20-70lbs I still want to hook on a 300+ lb monster someday.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
FullFlavorPike

Scuba divers often report "schools" of BSB hanging around wrecks and structure. I don't think it's uncommon for them to aggregate in a favorable spot, which could lead to you catching a few in a short time span.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

I’ve caught quite a few on the kayak. La Jolla and around OB pier. One trip out of mission bay I caught 3 on consecutive baits. All over 50lbs. I think their resurgence is strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:02 PM   #7
Oolie
Headshots Only

Seems like as good a time as any to remind everyone about the importance of bringing a descender that can be used with a BSB.

http://bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showt...fish+descender
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
Seems like as good a time as any to remind everyone about the importance of bringing a descender that can be used with a BSB.

http://bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showt...fish+descender
Good call. I always keep one on the deck, but on this occasion we were fishing in only 40-50 feet of water with our bait drifting into a high spot. 2 of them had tons of energy at the boat and swam away strong as soon as I got the hook removed. The third required a little more care, but after a couple minutes of holding it upright and getting water through the gills, he woke up and bolted away too.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
monkeyfishturds

You are allowed to keep two per day just 25 miles below La Jolla.
monkeyfishturds is offline   Reply With Quote