Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Vikingj

Outback or Revolution??

I plan to trade my Cobra Navigator XF for a new Hobie Mirage. I've tried several models and have decided on either Revolution or Outback. I will fish Dana, SanO, NewPt, and La Jolla. I need to hear from some local Hobie owners to make a final decision. Please share your thoughts (based on experience). Revolution or Outback? Pros and Cons?

Thanks in advance,

Vikingj (new member today)
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
steamroll

Viking,

I run a Hobie Shop in Oceanside and fish off of a Hobie as well. I tried every model and by far the Revolution is my favorite.

Revo - Pros
- Fast
- Dry
- Stable

Revo - Cons
- Less storage and mounting space than the Outback

Outback - Pros
- Incredibly Stable
- Ample storage and mounting space
- Huge tank well

Outback - Cons
- A little slower than the Revo
- Larger turning radius
- Heavier than Revo

Feel free to stop by and take my fully rigged Revolution out fishing sometime

Nate

OEX Oceanside
236 S. Coast Hwy
Oceanside Ca 92054

760-721-6195
Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
mg2969

I totally agree and concur with Nate's assessment.

In addition to the outback being heavier it paddles like a pig. Should you ever go out and the peddles fail you'll have a heck of a time coming in. I know, my peddles have gone out 3x probably due to user error. All 3x times it was at Cabrillo Beach (san pedro), and had to come in fighting a serious head wind off the point. Yeah it was slow but I never worried about safety. One of the times was in the middle of a tournament and 4 yakers (at least) had to be towed in because of the wind.
mg2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

It's the Revo for me.

I had the same questions when selecting my kayak six months ago. I went with the Revolution for all the reasons already stated plus one. My son has a paddle kayak and occasionally I like to go paddling with him. The Revo performs decently as a paddler although not as well as his Necky Dolphin.

When using this boat as a fishing platform, the only times I ever paddle are when stuck in kelp and, of course, when launching and landing.

The only complaint I have about my Revo is the lack of easily accessable dry, (sort of), storage. You learn to deal with this after a while but if I were designing a kayak similar to the Revolution, I would put in a bigger center hatch opening and mould in baffles and compartments to help keep things from sliding around out of reach.

One thing that I can say for sure, you will be happy with the Hobie mirage system, regardless of which boat you select.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
-snip-
One thing that I can say for sure, you will be happy with the Hobie mirage system, regardless of which boat you select.

Bob
+1 Ditto
Old 07-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
hobieuser

I went with Revo. due to my status. I'm 5'9 and 165, the revo. is perfect to accommodate my capacity in that regard. Make sure upgrade both rudder and fin, you'll be more happier.
hobieuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
mg2969

Yeah what he said plus the drive well seals (they might come standard now, maybe not)
mg2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
steamroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2969 View Post
Yeah what he said plus the drive well seals (they might come standard now, maybe not)
Yeah, they are standard now
Old 07-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
mrJB

Viking -
I think you would do best with a yellow plastic ducky tube with a single rod holder to store your dead sardines (for a week)!
JB
mrJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #10
One Rev

I understand Nate and others preferring the Revo, but and it's a big butt, I'm 6'3" and weigh close to 235lbs and I paddled both the Revo and the Outback and just prefer the Outback. I have purchased two Outback's (not at the same time) and when I buy my next kayak it will be an Outback purchased from Nate. He my Budd. If space and stability is your thing then the Outback will be your choice.

Mike
One Rev
One Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #11
Vikingj

Thank you all (except my EX-fishing buddy, mrJB!) for your useful comments - they were very helpfull and appreciated. Need to test them out one more time before writing a check.

Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote