Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
SR
Junior

Couple questions

Sorry if these are redundant, fellas and mods if this isn't where this is supposed to go feel free to move/delete.

I am wondering how far off the coast the la jolla kelp beds are and where to launch? I am an AZ native and fish quite often out here, but this is your guys' territory and you will know more.

I've fished a couple bays in San Diego and rocked the small spotted bay bass but I'm looking for something a bit different.

I've been on long range boats for tuna, dorado and yellow tail but would to try and nab one on the kayak.

I understand getting bait at the bait barge and what to bring I just don't know where to go (was told the la jolla kelp beds) and I don't necessarily want to be miles off coast in my yak.

So my questions are, where do I go to target any of these fish without going deep out?

And can I expect the same size fish in the bay's if I continued to fish those?

Thanks in advance and tight lines.

Scott
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
PescadorPete

Hi Scott,
Launch is at the end of Avenida de la Playa. You can drive onto the beach to unload or park nearby and wheel your kayak down. The beach is very crowded in the summer so get there early.
No bait barge, you have to make your own bait, mackerel, using sabikis.
From the beach out to the point is a Marine reserve so no fishing there. You can look it up on the DFW website.
Kelp is around the corner to the south all the way down to Pt Loma, you really can't miss it.
The yellowtail bite has been extraordinary this year and further offshore, tuna and dorado. You won't find these fish in the bays.
Catch some bait near the kelp and then fish in deeper waters, 120' or so.
Have fun out there.
~~~pete~~~
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

Here you go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (67.3 KB, 187 views)
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
Deamon

Hey Scott,

Google image satellite around LJ Shores launch spot will clearly show you the basic outline of these kelp beds. Tides and seasons will change it up some. Just launch at sunrise and follow everyone out, easy easy.

Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
SR
Junior

Thanks a lot, gents.

I'll be rolling out on an ascend d10t so it's a 10 ft'r, will that be a tad small?

And about how far off from launch are the fishing grounds.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
mclanea

If you have an iPhone you can grab the free Fish Alerts app, it'll tell you if you are in the correct spot or not.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fish...574847814?mt=8
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:17 PM   #7
tacmik

when you get there, most yak fishermen will be glad to clue you in on where the mlpas end. Look for where the other guys are fishing and don't be afraid to ask questions. Most are friendly and will be glad to help you and show you where and how to fish the kelp beds
Old 08-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #8
RookieYakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclanea View Post
If you have an iPhone you can grab the free Fish Alerts app, it'll tell you if you are in the correct spot or not.
Thanks for sharing! Also available for Androids under the same name.
RookieYakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
FISH11

Make sure to have leashes on "everything" unless you want to be shopping for new gear.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #10
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Thanks a lot, gents.

I'll be rolling out on an ascend d10t so it's a 10 ft'r, will that be a tad small?

And about how far off from launch are the fishing grounds.
6mi will be a short day. 9 is about average w bait making and fish searching.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #11
taggermike

This time of year you won't be alone so you can see where others are catching bait, or trying to catch bait grrr, and fishing. When you head strait out from the beach you will pass some tall white buoys. These ARE NOT at the reserve boundary. They mark a 5 mph zone. The boundary is another at least 100 yards out. And its not marked. You can start fishing around that point. There are often bass here but most start looking for bait here as they head out farther west then south targeting yt. So you can fish LJ with a mile paddle one way. You can also fish right in the kelp beds if you want and not have to paddle so far if you don't want to. Start easy and find your comfort zone. And as for fish size, any day of the year at and time of day LJ can produce trophy fish. Thats one of the things that makes LJ a great place to fish. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #12
SR
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
This time of year you won't be alone so you can see where others are catching bait, or trying to catch bait grrr, and fishing. When you head strait out from the beach you will pass some tall white buoys. These ARE NOT at the reserve boundary. They mark a 5 mph zone. The boundary is another at least 100 yards out. And its not marked. You can start fishing around that point. There are often bass here but most start looking for bait here as they head out farther west then south targeting yt. So you can fish LJ with a mile paddle one way. You can also fish right in the kelp beds if you want and not have to paddle so far if you don't want to. Start easy and find your comfort zone. And as for fish size, any day of the year at and time of day LJ can produce trophy fish. Thats one of the things that makes LJ a great place to fish. Mike

Thanks Mike. I'll be out there at the end of the month and hope to tag onto a couple people heading out.

I'll be back to update with a report.

Again, thanks guy for the help.