Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
Minami
Junior

Rookie looking to make my first trip out

Well, I got my first Kayak and I am looking to take it out on Sunday. I ended up getting a Malibu pro 2 tandem because the wife wants to join me on some occasions. I live in Thousand Oaks (ventura county) and I am thinking of taking the wife and heading up to channel islands harbor and possibly launching from Kiddie Beach. I are new to the kayaking fishing world and we were looking for a beginner level launch and easy paddle. Is this a good place to go? Or is there something easier or just as easy that is closer to Thousand Oaks? I am also thinking of taking some spinning gear and picking up some gulp baits, any suggestions? I have more gear (and I can take more) but I just want to get some line wet and start fishing again. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
Minami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
AirborneYak

I'd say just take Minimal gear. Maybe a rod, weights, and hook. Get use to launching and landing with your gear first. I'm not familiar with the area but you could always drive by and do some recon.
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
Minami
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneYak View Post
I'd say just take Minimal gear. Maybe a rod, weights, and hook. Get use to launching and landing with your gear first. I'm not familiar with the area but you could always drive by and do some recon.
Thanks AirborneYak. I think I will take it out at kiddie beach, find my balance and tipping points, get back into the kayak and then go get my fishing gear out of the truck for the day. If it looks to ruff, I will stay dry and go get some seafood up the street.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
King Saba

Channel Islands has little grass bass along the jetties and docks in the main channel if you just want something to tug on your line. The Breakwall has some better fish from what I've seen and dug up.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:17 AM   #5
CardShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minami View Post
Well, I got my first Kayak and I am looking to take it out on Sunday. I ended up getting a Malibu pro 2 tandem because the wife wants to join me on some occasions. I live in Thousand Oaks (ventura county) and I am thinking of taking the wife and heading up to channel islands harbor and possibly launching from Kiddie Beach. I are new to the kayaking fishing world and we were looking for a beginner level launch and easy paddle. Is this a good place to go? Or is there something easier or just as easy that is closer to Thousand Oaks? I am also thinking of taking some spinning gear and picking up some gulp baits, any suggestions? I have more gear (and I can take more) but I just want to get some line wet and start fishing again. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
I live in TO as well and Channel Islands Harbor is the easiest place for you to go. Kiddie beach is the perfect place for you to launch....free parking, no swell, and close to decent fishing areas.

By noon, there will probably be a decent amount of wind so plan accordingly and paddle against the current when you are still fresh. That way you can ride the wind back to Kidde beach when you're ready to go home. The first time I went out on my kayak, I didn't do that and had to paddle against a strong wind and current after I was already really tired......not fun. I'm still developing my "kayak muscles" and technique so that's some newbie advice I can share.
CardShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
spudz

My first kayak was also a Malibu Pro2 tandem for the same reasons you selected a tandem. My wife joined me for the first few times out, but that was short lived. We have children and the tandem comes in handy! Sorry, going off topic. I also live in Ventura County and “Kiddie Beach” in the Channel Islands Harbor is a good place to start. A protected harbor to get the hang of maneuvering the kayak and managing gear while on the water. Cardshark is right, it can get windy around noon. There are small coves (other side of Kiddie Beach next to the Coast Guard Station) to practice getting back onto your kayak from the water. An important skill you’ll want to become acquainted with. As for fishing, you’ll land some small bass in the harbor. Sabikis will land smelt and mackerel, and there are decent halibut in the harbor too. Some decent rockfish on the oceanside of the breakwall. But you may want to hold off on the oceanside of the breakwall until you get some time on your yak.

spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
Minami
Junior

Thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread. All the information has pointed me to start at kiddie beach, flip, get back in and head to the breakwall. I guess I will be heading to Sports Chalet and hit the fishing department.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #8
CardShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minami View Post
Thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread. All the information has pointed me to start at kiddie beach, flip, get back in and head to the breakwall. I guess I will be heading to Sports Chalet and hit the fishing department.
Or head to the Walmart in Oxnard off of Rose Ave if you want to save some money. Anything fishing related you can't find there, you can get at the Turner's Outdoorsman in the same parking complex.
CardShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #9
spudz

Minami,
Anything valuable that you can't store in the hull you'll want to secure. Leashes for rods etc... Probably wouldn't want to take you best gear too. At least not until your comfortable on the yak.
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
domtesta27

Minami,

Let me know the next time you're gonna be heading out to Channel Islands Harbor, I'm out there every weekend on an Orange pontoon boat using a flyrod. I usually stick close to the bait tanks, or out at the breakwall. Slay everything from small walleye perch up to big sandbass and rockfish. I actually lost a legal butt right at the edge of the breakwall last sunday.
domtesta27 is offline   Reply With Quote