Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #21
ZepBonham

I'm 4 for 4 with this technique. But I expect a flip in my future.
http://youtu.be/R_HANDqKu2Q
ZepBonham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #22
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZepBonham View Post
I'm 4 for 4 with this technique. But I expect a flip in my future.
http://youtu.be/R_HANDqKu2Q

That works but you can throw it all out the window when your dealing with a PA. Totally different animal. To me landing the PA is my favorite part of the day!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #23
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Yes! That's what I'm talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunghosd View Post
eeeshhhhhhh!!!!! no bueno.....hard to watch perfectly good gear get tossed. hope it wasn't too bad, did he get his Gopro back?

And this speaks to the repeatedly overlooked major need for San Diego to step up and pay to build a kayak angler only dock with greenie bait barge and beer bar that extends past the reserve line and has one of those flat escalators like at the airport to get our gear out there!

We need to rally at City Hall!!!!!!!
This is the best idea I have heard yet! Then scardy cats like me can fish LJ!

By the way, that video, you guys are INSANE!

J
Old 09-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #24
Dannowar

I'll never understand why you guys don't land with peddles. It's 100 times easier. I've flipped my old outback one time at 230 in the morning in the middle of lobster season. Never dumped the pa. I always just waited for the last wave of the set and followed it in. 99.99999 percent success rate.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:23 AM   #25
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
I'll never understand why you guys don't land with peddles. It's 100 times easier. I've flipped my old outback one time at 230 in the morning in the middle of lobster season. Never dumped the pa. I always just waited for the last wave of the set and followed it in. 99.99999 percent success rate.
Exactly!!

This is my preferred way of landing - with the mirage drive in. I haven't had a %100 success rate though. Pedalling-in become difficult when there is a shore break, for example at San O or Esco in Malibu. Or it becomes difficult when you have fish on your deck and it's not effective to pedal.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:21 AM   #26
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post

When was the last time you tried that somewhere where there is a shore break?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #27
ful-rac
Emperor

Why would you video a 99.99999 percent success rate anyways? Everybody wants to see a crash right?! I know I do! Even if its me! Makes good video!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #28
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Those crashes look painful in two ways:

#1 the physical pain

#2 the monetary pain

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #29
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Those crashes look painful in two ways:

#1 the physical pain

I was physical exhausted for at least 30min after the crash
I was mentally exhausted for at least a few hours after the crash
today is Wednesday and I still have some soreness on my upper back

#2 the monetary pain
I lost my BWE hat, I've had that thing for at least 4years
I have cleaned and repaired 3 of the 4 rods, the 3 that I cleaned first are my 'go-to' rods
the lens on my gopro housing has a huge scratch on it but I'm not to worried about it, I have the Best Buy warranty on it so I will get it replaced for free. As a matter of fact, there is a good chance that I they will give me a whole new camera.

And yes, I'm ready to do it all over again.................minus the flipping

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 09-17-2014 at 09:24 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #30
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
When was the last time you tried that somewhere where there is a shore break?
I've launched my PA and outback at windansea and marine street. notorious shore dumpers. in my opinion, i like shore breaks because:

a. they're easier to judge. size. timing. direction
b. they sit in deep water all the way until the last ten feet, thus giving your mirage drive extra room
c. you can be closer to shore to wait out the sets
d. the surge forward will often assist you in the crucial landing while you jump out
e. they don't roll all the way in like the beach breaks

i don't even launch at shores anymore, the only reason i traded in my hobie was because I'm lazy and like to paddle straight through the kelp to the fishing grounds.

that being said, I'm 99.99999999 (eh fugg it, 100%) entertained by all of your launchings and landings. sweet video as always boys
Old 09-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #31
momo fish

OMG!! I actually agree with Danny, who would have thought.

I like to build up speed parallel to the waves as I watch them build and then aim the kayak towards the back of the wave. Once I feel like I'm close enough I turn the rudder quickly and ride the back of wave in. This way I have already build up speed and I'm watching the waves from the side instead of the back. Once in the white wash I would pull the rudder up and jump out in 3-4 feet of water and hold kayak up not to damage the drive.

Now my success rate has been great making it in but still make silly mistakes like forgetting to pull rudder or like last week thinking I'm in 2 feet when really I was at 6 feet.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #32
tsugg
LOWSPARK

A new reality show

BIG WATERS EDGE: A story men and their kayaks !!!
MOMO- lol on the 6' of water.
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #33
ful-rac
Emperor

Shit....you guys are just a bunch of regular surf hero's ! Hey momo...are you another one of those 99.99999 percenter's?

I urge you to go to county on a decent surf day, take that gopro and film yourself and your technique.....by the way didn't you have a I almost died story coming in thru the surf just recently?

Bottom line is we all roll every once and awhile, whether we choose to admit it or not. Contrary to popular belief I do make it in without rolling most of the time. We all have different styles and preferences, there is no 1 right way of doing it. I just choose to show you guys when it all goes wrong.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #34
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

we all must learn the right way to kayak land:

If only Chuck Norris was here to be able to teach it to team sewer:

"he can kayak to the moon."

Awhhh who am I kidding not ever chuck Norris can save team sewer

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 09-17-2014 at 12:39 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #35
momo fish

Yes Tony, I did but I'm not in 99% cause I make plenty of mistake. The one thing I make sure to NEVER do is have someone waiting with a camera to catch my mistake

I rarely do county line as it's just not worth the punishment I may take if my timing is off plus given the unpredictable nature of the surf breaks as well. Leo and Deer creek is close enough.

And no one is saying we do it better just different. Given my 2 near death experiences on a kayak recently I learned a lot but by no means able to give advise, only share what works for me. I wish I had Greg's landing abilities and your catching abilities.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #36
ful-rac
Emperor

Oh even the invincible greg has mishaps every so often...sometimes in the least challenging surf.... but you didn't hear that from me....

And...what's wrong with gregs catching abilities anyway???
The best advice I can give for surf landings, is to put away everything that you don't want to lose, or break. If you do that, and losing or breaking stuff is out of the equation, landings can actually be fun!
Old 09-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #37
GregAndrew

Getting old and slow with a bad back is what caused my problem. It had little to do with technique (although I could have stayed seated the whole time and got wet but slid up the beach upright). As anyone with sciatic problems can tell you, you cannot jump up and move as quickly as you used to. That being said, I had no gear lost and almost no damage. I had a small nut pull out of the top of my bait tank that holds my gaff holder. And maybe some sand in my reels.

San Onofre is a different animal for launching and landing than most beaches due to the shallow reef extending just off the shore to good ways out. It does not allow for much clearance for pedal drives, except during the high tide. At minus tides, you can have to drag your kayak a couple hundred feet out to clear the rocks. This reef also makes for multiple sets of breakers for different swell heights and directions. So you have to take care when traveling parallel to the shore there. Also, depending on the surf, what is the perfect approach for one size and direction of swell may be the wrong approach for the next encounter. There is a small channel between reef sections just South of the parking area that is a great route in on small to mid size days. But the biggest waves are there when the surf is up.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #38
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
we all must learn the right way to kayak land:

If only Chuck Norris was here to be able to teach it to team sewer:

"he can kayak to the moon."

Awhhh who am I kidding not ever chuck Norris can save team sewer
[ATTACH]

That video is freaking awesome, love it! !

Here's my pic from 2006 TQ, Iraq. We knew Chuck was coming to take a picture with each platoon in our company, so i made this sign with some scrap wood, spray paint, and red reflective tape.

Appears someone from my platoon posted it online. Can't see my face, since I'm on the seven ton holding my sign.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410997453235.jpg (11.4 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Silbaugh4liberty; 09-17-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Silbaugh4liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #39
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
That works but you can throw it all out the window when your dealing with a PA. Totally different animal. To me landing the PA is my favorite part of the day!
adrenaline junkie.

Gregg I cringed the most watching your clip. like bones in my body breaking.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote