Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
IN2DEEP

King Harbor Parking Fee Increase

Just learned today that they are eliminating the reduced parking fee when you use the hand launch.

Starting August 1st 2014, parking will cost $2.00 per hour capping off at $20.00 per 24 hr. period?
I don't know any more details.
Was informed of this when leaving the parking lot today

I guess I will be looking to get my parking stub validated in the future (something I never had to do when using the hand launch)
Old 07-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
jorluivil

There's mixed information on this, some of the Booth attendants say It's permanent but some of the notices that are posted say It's for the summer months. Regardless, $20 is a shit load of money to pay for parking. I'll be calling the city of RB Monday and ask if you have to be a resident to get on of their meter parking permits, if It's available to the general public I'll probably pay to get one and park outside in the street, if you get there early enough you can Park right across from the entrance to the parking lot. The bad thing is that you'll have to get yourself setup outside or just pay the $2 each to get in/out when launching/landing. I heard that the meter parking permit is $80 so it'll only take 4 trips to break even.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
chuckt

Isn't it used to be $4 flat for 8hrs using launch dock?
chuckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
Isn't it used to be $4 flat for 8hrs using launch dock?
Not anymore....or at least until august 1st
Old 07-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Solution is easy guys, Parking is FREE in most of BAJA, sometimes the fishing is better too!!!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #6
Fish Taco

This completely sucks.

Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
ol'skool

Go a little further north, park over by the Portofino and wheel it over to the launch...sneaky but so far it's worked for me.
ol'skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
kayachapi

How much with validation?
kayachapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayachapi View Post
How much with validation?
It depends on the restaurant but from what I saw its no more than $5. I wonder if most of the restaurants will validate if you just buy a drink

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
kayachapi

Validate

I usually get some squid or something form the pier, or just shoot the bull. I never paid attention to what the difference was, since I only fish a couple of times a year there. Now it seems like it will make a difference. By the way, my son and I will be there July 24th through July 27th. Gonna try crabbing while we fish this time. Scott
kayachapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #11
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayachapi View Post
I usually get some squid or something form the pier...

There you go. I always buy a package of Squid from the pier and get a validation from them. I tend to fish long hours often all day, and with a validation from the pier, I can fish all day for a minimum fee, so I never even mention the hand launch, just hand them the validation and pay at the reduced rate.

So what exactly has changed?

The hand launch exception was originally only for people coming in launching then storing their vehicle outside the lot.

Say you had a slip in the marina and wanted to launch a dingy or small craft. You could launch it there then park in your own marina's lot. The idea being that the launch has to have public access and you should be able to use it without having to pay for parking if you do not actually park there in the lot. Technically though you had to be in and out in something like 15 minutes to get the reduced rate. If you stayed longer then the allowed time you then had to pay for parking. To get around the time limit rules we would get validations from the pier then park in the lot and then would only have to pay a reduced fee. If they no longer allow validations that would be a huge deal, but if they have been letting you park and just charging the hand launch fee without a validation count your lucky stars because they have been letting it slide.

Back over a decade ago I went seabass fishing got there before the pier opened fished all day then got back too late to get a validation form the pier. Without the validation I would of then owed something like $20 so I then went to Naja's drank some beer and got the validation from them. I've heard that they can no longer give them and that bars and restaurants can't give them out any more. I would imagine the pier still can because guys that go out on boats are there all day and making their customers pay full price would cut into their business.

Another way around it was the north entrance. It used to be that launch was free and that access was open 24 hours a day. They then decided to charge a fee, put in a electric gate, and you had to pay a few bucks to get to the launch. Sometimes the gate didn't work, and people kept breaking the gate arm to get in, so they closed that entrance now only allow vehicle access from the main lot, through the main gate. That said last I checked there is no fence just a single post blocking vehicles so you can still bring your yak in on a cart from that side, and no-one's going to bother you if wheel in your Kayak from Portofina way and launch for free.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 07-13-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #12
IN2DEEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
There's mixed information on this, some of the Booth attendants say It's permanent but some of the notices that are posted say It's for the summer months. Regardless, $20 is a shit load of money to pay for parking. I'll be calling the city of RB Monday and ask if you have to be a resident to get on of their meter parking permits, if It's available to the general public I'll probably pay to get one and park outside in the street, if you get there early enough you can Park right across from the entrance to the parking lot. The bad thing is that you'll have to get yourself setup outside or just pay the $2 each to get in/out when launching/landing. I heard that the meter parking permit is $80 so it'll only take 4 trips to break even.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'skool View Post
Go a little further north, park over by the Portofino and wheel it over to the launch...sneaky but so far it's worked for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
There you go. I always buy a package of Squid from the pier and get a validation from them. I tend to fish long hours often all day, and with a validation from the pier, I can fish all day for a minimum fee, so I never even mention the hand launch, just hand them the validation and pay at the reduced rate.

So what exactly has changed?

The hand launch exception was originally only for people coming in launching then storing their vehicle outside the lot.

Say you had a slip in the marina and wanted to launch a dingy or small craft. You could launch it there then park in your own marina's lot. The idea being that the launch has to have public access and you should be able to use it without having to pay for parking if you do not actually park there in the lot. Technically though you had to be in and out in something like 15 minutes to get the reduced rate. If you stayed longer then the allowed time you then had to pay for parking. To get around the time limit rules we would get validations from the pier then park in the lot and then would only have to pay a reduced fee. If they no longer allow validations that would be a huge deal, but if they have been letting you park and just charging the hand launch fee without a validation count your lucky stars because they have been letting it slide.

Back over a decade ago I went seabass fishing got there before the pier opened fished all day then got back too late to get a validation form the pier. Without the validation I would of then owed something like $20 so I then went to Naja's drank some beer and got the validation from them. I've heard that they can no longer give them and that bars and restaurants can't give them out any more. I would imagine the pier still can because guys that go out on boats are there all day and making their customers pay full price would cut into their business.

Another way around it was the north entrance. It used to be that launch was free and that access was open 24 hours a day. They then decided to charge a fee, put in a electric gate, and you had to pay a few bucks to get to the launch. Sometimes the gate didn't work, and people kept breaking the gate arm to get in, so they closed that entrance now only allow vehicle access from the main lot, through the main gate. That said last I checked there is no fence just a single post blocking vehicles so you can still bring your yak in on a cart from that side, and no-one's going to bother you if wheel in your Kayak from Portofina way and launch for free.

Thanks for your insight and knowledge
Looks like some of you have given this a lot of thought already
Question: Where off of Portofina Way can you park and not get ticketed or towed away?