Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
HighOctane
Junior

Taking your kayak to Catalina Island?

Are there any boat or ferrys that will take you and your kayak and drop to catalina island and pick up after?
HighOctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
FISH11

No ferry's or boats but you can arrange to have it shipped to Catalina before you go and pick it up there then have it shipped back once you leave. It's the only option to renting one there. ...http://catalinafreight.com/

Last edited by FISH11; 06-18-2014 at 08:58 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
momo fish

81 to ship round trip. Guess if staying there a few days it's cheaper than renting.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
newportdogs

What type of trip are you looking for – one day, several days, camping, hotels? I’ve been using Catalina Freight for 4 years to ship kayaks and gear for boat in camping, going again this year. So, a bit of experience there that may provide some ideas.

This year we bought yearly passes on the Catalina Flyer out of Newport, going every 2 weeks to rent kayaks and fish, leave on the morning boat and return that afternoon. We are getting something like 4.5 hours on the water. At this point the Flyer is probably booked all summer but maybe not so with other boats from other locations. Other boats may get you extended fishing time because they leave later from Avalon. I live in Newport so the Flyer is pretty easy but that 4:30 departure time really cuts into time on the water.

I posted details in this thread if you are interested in an extended trip. A one day, or maybe even an Avalon weekend stay, using Catalina Freight isn’t worth the effort. Rent at Descanso Beach.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=19295

Check out the recent Catalina posts by Wade. Now that guy really knows how to do a weekend, or any type of trip, to Avalon, looks to me like he rents from Descanso Beach.

Good luck with the trips you do.

Last edited by newportdogs; 06-18-2014 at 10:38 PM.
newportdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:44 AM   #5
ctfphoto

I really wanted to to the Catalina Trip this summer with the family and bring 3 yaks. After doing a little research, I found a much better less expensive vacation.

We booked a hotel room at the La Jolla Shores Beach and Tennis Club. They have free storage for yaks, bikes, etc. The very best part is no long drive or flight or boat ride. We'll be kicken it in La Jolla
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:24 AM   #6
paddle man

WE USE TO TAKE THE MARINA DEL RAY FLYER BUT THEY WENT OUT OF BESINESS THEY WOULD TAKE KAYAKS CAMPING GEAR COOLERS AND TAKE YOU TO TWO HARBORS FROM THERE WE GOT A GEAR HAUL TRUCK WENT TO LITTLE HARBOR IT WAS EXPENSIVE TRIPS BUT WAS FUN STAYED FOR 4AND 5 DAY TRIPS AND CAUGHT LOTS OF FISH
paddle man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
WE USE TO TAKE THE MARINA DEL RAY FLYER BUT THEY WENT OUT OF BESINESS
the good ol days!..................think I will be booking Island Packers for my island camping fix end of September.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ht=catapalooza
Old 06-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
the good ol days!..................think I will be booking Island Packers for my island camping fix end of September.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ht=catapalooza
that look like a trip of a lifetime

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote