Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Leviathan30
Junior

Shimano Trinidad 20 or Shimano tyrnos 16ii?

Hi guys, I'm looking into buying one of these two reels, which are the Shimano Trinidad 20 or the Shimano Tyrnos 16ii, but I'm having a hard time debating on which one to buy. I know that you guys are pro's so I would like to know what you guys suggest. Thanks
Leviathan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
TJones

New or used

I have a few Trinidad's , gold and silver . Personally I like the 16 . Seems like a better fit in hand . Loaded with spectra , you should have more than enough line. The new Trinidad's have a couple more bearings so it is amazingly smooth , and can cast like a bullet. Also the anti pawl is upgraded . The other reel you spoke of I have not used , probably a good reel for shark fishing in the 30 size . Lever drags definitely have there place in arsenal . I would recommend the talica or torsa , both if which are a small fortune and we'll worth it . Good luck .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
taggermike

It always comes down to what you want to use the reel for. A star drag and a 2 speed lever drag are very different style reels. For a heavier bait fishing/slow trolling reel the tyrnos might be best. If you're looking for a serious casting reel the trini is the way to go. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Fishwhisperer619

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
It always comes down to what you want to use the reel for. A star drag and a 2 speed lever drag are very different style reels. For a heavier bait fishing/slow trolling reel the tyrnos might be best. If you're looking for a serious casting reel the trini is the way to go. Mike
As taggermike said. The trinidad is more versatile but the tyrnos is better at what it does, which is big baits, trolling, and the ability to switch gears.
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Leviathan30
Junior

thank you all, great feedback. I went ahead and bought the shimano tyrnos, and I love it.
Leviathan30 is offline   Reply With Quote