Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #41
Fishwhisperer619

No not really. It does help but as long as the people leading the way keep a steady course all you have to do is follow. You're pretty much dependent on the line they make
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #42
cabojohn
PROBATION

This paddle is ONLY for those who have experience and the right tools for the job!!
You must be in top physical condition to even consider this type of paddle.

**WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE ANYONE.

*If you are asking if you / your kayak can make the paddle, what gear you need, how long will the paddle take etc...THIS trip IS NOT for YOU.

__________________________________________________ ____

*We will host some other shorter / local one way Paddle~N~Fish this spring/ summer with possible bail out points along the way. Stay tuned.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #43
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblaze2009 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really like the ceiling fan blade paddle
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #44
87yota4runner

The right to refuse anyone? So say you deemed me unfit for the trip, but I showed at the same time as you guys to do my own paddle to Catalina camping trip, would you just refuse to speak to me the whole trip? Haha
Old 03-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #45
Squid Vicious
plastic navey squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yota4runner View Post
The right to refuse anyone? So say you deemed me unfit for the trip, but I showed at the same time as you guys to do my own paddle to Catalina camping trip, would you just refuse to speak to me the whole trip? Haha
.....I think you will do good trolling to catalina....your a good troller...now see if he bites
Malibu Mini X F & D "anchovie "
Squid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #46
Fishwhisperer619

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yota4runner View Post
Not only that, but questions like gear and time of travel aren't reasons to tell someone they can't go. I'm a college athlete and in better shape than most and those are questions I also asked. Little harsh to me but I agree that someone unprepared will only ruin it for others. But that can't be determind now, more like the month of the trip. Either way I'm ready
Old 03-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #47
87yota4runner

Haha I'm the best. Done it sooooo many times and rather than catching anything, I lost gear lol
So how do you guys set up the smaller one way trips? As in how do you get back to your car?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #48
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I'm in no shape to make this paddle, but for the rest of you this site says there's Yellowtail, Yellowfin Tuna, Dorado, Marlin, and Rockfish along the way at the "Avalon Bank" and the "14 Mile Bank"
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #49
87yota4runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I'm in no shape to make this paddle, but for the rest of you this site says there's Yellowtail, Yellowfin Tuna, Dorado, Marlin, and Rockfish along the way at the "Avalon Bank" and the "14 Mile Bank"

That is an awesome site, thank you for the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #50
Big T
Member, You Member!

While I agree with Cabojohn about one thing, as you "probably" aren't mentally or physically (Endurance paddling-wise) if you're asking said questions, I'm assuming if you want to show up and paddle with everyone, you will be acknowledged, but probably told that you're making a dumb and boneheaded decision by someone... Guaranteed.

I've crossed the channel many times (but never on a yak) on small craft and even with the aid of a motor and lack of physical effort on my part, the catalina channel has given me my share of challenges. Some of which would have eaten my lunch on an ill prepared kayak trip. Some of which were NOWHERE in the weather/noaa forecast.

My .02
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #51
Fishwhisperer619

I don't think anyone expects to just show up and paddle out there. But questions need to be asked by some people, better than not asking and just showing up thinking its gonna be a piece of cake. Can people become a liability if they aren't in shape? Yes, no one wants a trip to fall apart because someone couldn't do it.

But if my calendar is right, which it is, its march 3rd and this trip isn't projected to go until atleast June, which is atleast 3 months away. Decisions of who doesn't get to go (even though no one has that power, even cabojohn) can't really be assessed until atleast the month of the trip, or atleast seeing the person on the water.

MY $0.02
Old 03-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #52
Big T
Member, You Member!

A qualification run two weeks out? Dana Point to somewhere in Newport harbor? Not the same thing and about 7 miles shorter, but if you start later in the morning, the wind can offer more of a challenge. Just a thought.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #53
Fishwhisperer619

I would if I lived remotely close but I'm in chula vista. You can do something up there for those in that area. I can try and organize one for down here that goes from mission bay to sd bay? Anyone in the sd area wanting to do this trip and wants to prep for it pm me and we can organize some trips.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #54
Big T
Member, You Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhisperer619 View Post
I would if I lived remotely close but I'm in chula vista. You can do something up there for those in that area. I can try and organize one for down here that goes from mission bay to sd bay? Anyone in the sd area wanting to do this trip and wants to prep for it pm me and we can organize some trips.
Nah!! Just paddle here from SD... then join em for the rest! Hardcore!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #55
Fishwhisperer619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Nah!! Just paddle here from SD... then join em for the rest! Hardcore!
I'm not a badass like you hahahahaha I saw your hooping post and people hating on you
Old 03-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #56
Big T
Member, You Member!

Quote:
I'm not a badass like you hahahahaha I saw your hooping post and people hating on you
Apparently it's a curse now.

I seriously WISH I could do this trip... would be such a neat bucket list sort of thing! I know I'm a strong paddler for the most part, but I've never paddled for THAT long... I could only imagine the cramps I'd get.

This sort of thing does give me some possible incentive to go out and do some extended paddling to see if I'm even close. I was chasing whales in Dana Point a couple of weeks ago and cramped up after being out there for a few hours straight paddling non stop... but maybe my arms and back recovered stronger so i could do it just 30 mins longer this week.... hmmmmmm The possibilities.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #57
Fishwhisperer619

You could always rent a hobie from oex sunset beach and make the trip that much easier with a mirage drive. I just got a PA 14 and will be making the voyage with that. I had planned on doing it with my wilderness systems ride 120 but sold it and got this. Ready to rock! Mine is caguama, just waiting on my elite-4 hdi to come in now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1393910600357.jpg (47.1 KB, 86 views)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #58
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
You could always rent a hobie from oex sunset beach and make the trip that much easier with a mirage drive. I just got a PA 14 and will be making the voyage with that. I had planned on doing it with my wilderness systems ride 120 but sold it and got this. Ready to rock! Mine is caguama, just waiting on my elite-4 hdi to come in now
Dude that might be a tough peddle on a wide barge like the PA. Go with the Adventure Island
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #59
Fishwhisperer619

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Dude that might be a tough peddle on a wide barge like the PA. Go with the Adventure Island
Believe me I would love to take one of those things out there, but ill be fine in the PA. This is my pride and joy and will take me everywhere. Plus I figure I might as well do it while I'm younger haha. The PA isn't that slow honestly. It still beats the hell out of paddling and I was prepared to do that before I got this.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:00 AM   #60
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Believe me I would love to take one of those things out there, but ill be fine in the PA. This is my pride and joy and will take me everywhere. Plus I figure I might as well do it while I'm younger haha. The PA isn't that slow honestly. It still beats the hell out of paddling and I was prepared to do that before I got this.
you can also put a sail on it and cruise it on over. That is if the SS group that is putting it on will let you go.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote