Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
jlwells
Junior

New Guy

Well slightly...ive been lurking here for a while just trying to get what info I can. Lowprofile introduced me to this addiction, and initially I wasnt sold on the whole kayak fishing thing due to sour stomach and some nasty spills trying to launch in LJ my first time....

On my second trip out wit Chris i somehow mananged to get an amazing birds nest on my first drop....which is also when my first YT decided it wanted to eat some squid, and by some sort or freakish luck he cleared that rats nest out in about .02 seconds. Anyways, ended up landing it with his help and after that moment I was sold.

A couple months later Chris ended up buying a PA so I took the old x factor off his hands. I ended up deploying shortly after buying the kayak and never really had the opportunity to take it out yet. Currently Im still deployed and am trying to research equipment I need to pick up/order now so I dont need to waste time searching when I get back and can head straight for the water.

Thanks in advance for your advice, keep the good reports coming it helps pass the time over here.

Last edited by jlwells; 08-12-2013 at 06:42 PM.
jlwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

You want a narrow spool reel for casting jigs , and could double as your bait stick. Salstist makes a narrow reel in abou that size I believe, maybe a little smaller. You don't need anything longer than a 7' rod unless you're on a boat, so the rod will be fine but I would get a fast action quick taper rod for more bend when you cast, so that you can snap those casts. If you have the money, I'd get two set ups so that you are not constantly changing out jigs, for bait rigs, etc... I have a lowrance mark 4 on my revolution. It's a dual frequency fishfinder as well as GPS/chartplotter. I would definitely recommend you get a combo vs having a fishfinder without GPS or vice versa. My mark 4 is black and white but the greyscale quality is pretty good. I have no experience with colored units. Also if you decide to install the transducer and unit yourself , do a little research on this forum on where/how to mount the transducer . There is probably a specific thread for your kayak.

Brandon
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Oh and getting sick to your stomach is sometimes a good technique for chumming. It happens to a lot of us. Just be optimistic.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Oh and getting sick to your stomach is sometimes a good technique for chumming. It happens to a lot of us. Just be optimistic.
I always thought about that part...

It's like.. I catch no fish, starting to tire out and then comes the vomit... next thing you know.... I'm catching fish!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
ctfphoto

Get "the patch" it seems to work 100% of the time.

Question for you long timers ...... Can one that is prone to seasickness and uses the patch, ween himself off of it? I am on the ocean at least once a week for the past 2 years. I don't use it in the bay. I think I can go out in LJ without it now, but seasickness can wreck your day.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
jlwells
Junior

Thanks for the good info gentleman
Old 08-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Get "the patch" it seems to work 100% of the time.

Question for you long timers ...... Can one that is prone to seasickness and uses the patch, ween himself off of it? I am on the ocean at least once a week for the past 2 years. I don't use it in the bay. I think I can go out in LJ without it now, but seasickness can wreck your day.
Not sure of the patch but I've weaned myself off of Dramamine....

JWELLS, I use a cheap fresh water rod and reel combo for catching bait. You definitely don't want to be switching from bait to iron a d iron to bait because you need that iron ready to go in an instant when you see surface action.

Mike
Old 08-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
jlwells
Junior

Well im definately taking your guys advice....i picked up a sealinex40ha jig/bait....and am looking for a newell 332 for surface irons(not easy to find btw, or im looking in all the wrong places)....my current project is trying to find a fishfinder......sounds like the lowrance elite 4 and the humminbird 385 ci Di are all around good choices, but not sure which one to go with
Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
TJones

Thanks

TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
ful-rac
Emperor

Welcome to the community! Hopefully you come home soon and get right back on that kayak, and go fish'n!

That newell 332 is an excellent reel, not as fancy as the newer stuff but a solid performer, and can cast super far in the right hands. Deadly weapon for sure...

So you know lowprofile huh...I'll try not to hold that against you.

Oh yeah and it's a birds nest or backlash... not a rats nest for future reference...