Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

5/9 Silverwood

Fished Silverwood Lake for the first time on Thursday with Landwhale. We got there just after 6 am behind a hand full of boaters. We had high hopes of stripers, but never found one to bite. I only saw one boil all day. I did see a few LMB boil and one BIG one distracted me for a while as it boiled twice and looked double digit, just could not get it to go.Talked to one boater that said they had 3 limits and then watched him hook up trolling an Alabama rig. We tried everything from plugs to rubber to iron por nada. Killer morning and really pretty lake. We worked the shoreline back and finally got the skunk off on the blade. I will be back, $10 per vehicle and a very laid back inspection for mussels. Very scenic with tons of structure to toss at. Always love to fish a new spot, great adventure.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
YakMedic

Wish I could have made it out with you guys. It can be a tough lake sometime, I would guess the cooldown of weather changed the bite but should pick back up shortly. Its a beautiful lake and if your lucky you see a couple bald eagles soaring.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
danjor

That is my favorite lake, I have spent well over 200 days out there. The mussle inspection is laid back because the lake is already infested as of a few years ago but the infestation is not bad yet... I have only hooked one striper out of all those trips and it spooled me on a 20lbs setup I normally do really good on a ultralight setup for bass fishing. Jig dropshotted nightcrawler colored plastic worms or like 8+ inch live models and you will slay them. Let me know next time you go out and I can show you my spots, I have found using rapalas you end up catching more trout and carp than bass lol I don't know what's up with those carp but they will not touch bread, corn, dough bait, stink bait, worms, only thing they strike is rapalas lol if you get down deep in summer there are huge holdover trout. Get a quality floating trout swim bait and drag it behind you like its a Mac all day for stripers while you cast for bass, need a second rod stamp. In my opinion wintertime is the best time to fish that lake for everything including bass. Hope this helps
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
Wish I could have made it out with you guys. It can be a tough lake sometime, I would guess the cooldown of weather changed the bite but should pick back up shortly. Its a beautiful lake and if your lucky you see a couple bald eagles soaring.
There's a cove on the lake with a year around eagle nest. Watching a eagle catch a 5+lbs trout is the most amazing sight ever! Eagles are so big they don't seem real.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
steveooo

Looks awesome!

I've fished the lake plenty of times, but the stripers always seem to elude me. If I hear "You should have been here yesterday! ", one more time...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
howie73x
Junior

My buddy finds out when they stock trout @ the lake and targets stripers. He's caught many that way. Any lure with a rainbow trout pattern will get nailed when the stripers know trout are around.
howie73x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Hondatom

An old friend of mine used to catch 35 plus pounders @ silverwood with some regularity, but I think those days are gone. I agree with the previous comment about anything with a rainbow trout pattern. That is their bread and butter at silverwood.
Hondatom is offline   Reply With Quote