Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Freddy4130
Junior

SoFlo to SoCal. How to Adjust

So I'm here from Ft. Lauderdale finally. I go back for my yak in about a week. I have a Hobie Outback. I'm used to fishing the warm waters of the Atlantic. Typically, I cast off with a bucket/bubbler set up, two rods and my iPhone. I usually, no matter the month, wear board shorts and a hat. Obviously, things are going to be different now that I'm here. Most notably, the water is cold. I usually fish an 80lb rod with a penn battle 8. 65lb power pro and a 40lb flouro leader with stinger rig flat lining live baits. That's it. That'll all change too.

What do you guys suggest that will help me make a smooth conversion? Thanks!
Freddy4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
madncrzydm

that's almost identical to one of my setups i use a lot 60 lb rod battle 8 65lb spectra with 30lb topshot.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
danjor

You should be fine, I wear board shorts and a tee most of the year, few exceptions being winter hoop netting and during a cold storm.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Freddy4130
Junior

Really? No crazy cold weather/water gear? Is a finder necessary? Off pompano beach, you just paddle east until the water turns blue. Then you know you're there. Is it that simple here as well?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy4130 View Post
Really? No crazy cold weather/water gear? Is a finder necessary? Off pompano beach, you just paddle east until the water turns blue. Then you know you're there. Is it that simple here as well?
It's a little bit more than that. First of all there's MLPA here. I don't know if there's an equivalent to that where your from.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Most likely you are going to need waders at the very least, especially for the winter and spring. Sure you can do it without it but unless your some kind of superman that can withstand being wet and cold for the whole day...especially coming from florida...your going to need waders. During the summer when it gets hot...shorts and t-shirt will do just fine.

Finder is not neccesary but, it's very nice to have...in my book it has become a neccesity to me. If the fishing in florida is as simple as finding the blue water and catching...uh...no not as simple as that here..I wish it were.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
PapaDave

Differences...

1. The water and air are much colder.
2. The wind is usually stronger and onshore, so the wind waves will be an adjustment.
3. Swells, be careful on beach launches and near shore fishing.
4. Florida = warm water species, CA = cool to temperate water species.
5. Common types of fish...
Amberjack = Yellowtail.
Yellowtail/snapper(FL) = Calico/Sand bass (roughly)

I am from Miami, my brother is in Vero and fishes from a kayak there in the intercoastal. It is different, but once you adjust, the fishing can be just as good. There is lots of good info on this forum to help you out, and you can always ask questions here.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
Crazy Cajun
Junior

If you missed the long beach fred hall show, don't miss the Del Mar FHS. Sit yourself down in the front row of the Kayak Stage and take notes. I did this a few years ago, it was worth it.
Crazy Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
old_rookie

I wish I could go out in board shorts and a t-shirt. This past saturday it was warm-up pants underneath waterproof footed pants. Had on a long sleeve t-shirt, thermal shirt, couple more t-shirts, splash jacket, buff and a hat. Once I started paddling against the tide, things warmed up - but just sitting in the wind (and rain), I was fine. This was SD Bay. Other days I'll still have the waterproof pants and splash jacket and adjust the layers accordingly.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
Freddy4130
Junior

Windy? I've been hawking the weather and it seems pretty calm for winter. It's typically 8-12 mph with gust up to 40 off pompano. The surf seems more organized here. It's bigger fur sure, but in Florida, at least in winter, it's hectic and unorganized crap.

I'm so but looking forward to the cold. But I'm totally looking forward to some sea bass. I should be back the weekend after next with the yak. Can't wait.

As far as MPA's, my ADD kicks my A$$ so that was hard to read. Do they forbid you from actually fishing, or just from keeping fish? I don't keep anything usually so will that affect me?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
madncrzydm

Quote:
Windy? I've been hawking the weather and it seems pretty calm for winter. It's typically 8-12 mph with gust up to 40 off pompano. The surf seems more organized here. It's bigger fur sure, but in Florida, at least in winter, it's hectic and unorganized crap.

I'm so but looking forward to the cold. But I'm totally looking forward to some sea bass. I should be back the weekend after next with the yak. Can't wait.

As far as MPA's, my ADD kicks my A$$ so that was hard to read. Do they forbid you from actually fishing, or just from keeping fish? I don't keep anything usually so will that affect me?
I'm no where near the one to explain it but yes it will definitely affect you.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

If your fishing in an mpa it will effect you. There are different mpas, you have to look them up and figure out the restrictions. Some are reserves and some are conservation areas, it's your job to know which is where. Does not matter whether you keep fish or not in a reserve, no fishing no take. The eco nazis will call the cops on you...yes they are watching...they have nothing better to do....
Old 03-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Freddy4130
Junior

Prolly best to buddy up with some of you local guys and never go out by myself.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
JarrodMc

you can trunk it and maybe wear a sweatshirt at most. For the cold mornings I wear some booties too but nothing more.
JarrodMc is offline   Reply With Quote