Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
Sarcastic Fringehead
Junior

That is funny. I guess my only time on the water that counts is from a kayak in La Jolla? And the ones with the gunshot wounds that are discovered were shot by non-anglers? Interesting. You make some great points. I'm a marine biologist by the way, and do, believe it or not, happen to know the difference between a sleeping and dead pinniped. I said it's lame to kill them. I didn't accuse kayakers of being the ones shooting them- though I've read plenty of posts from people who've said they'd like to. Say whatever you want...I'm done with this arguement.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Ed
Fringe Head

So how many have you seen working or fishing?. You are deliberately evasive. You also blamed anglers again, and I'm not just talking about yakfishers but all anglers. There are a lot of ocean users and boat and property owners who don't like sea lions. Any biologist worth his salt knows that. There are also twisted individuals that just like to shoot things. You stated you've seen plenty of sea lions shot by some fisherman. A biologist should have a least some data to back up their rhetoric. You know, numbers, a bios stock and trade. What makes you so sure it was anglers? You can't even confirm how many you've seen. Sounds like you have an antifishing agenda. I suspect you are an emotional technician in training rather than a seasoned biologist. I can understand why you don't want to dig your hole any deeper.

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Take a note new gang…

3 subjects with high likelihood to result in lively discussions on kayak fishing boards:

-Eating calicos
-GW shark
-Seals – kill ‘em or not…

C’mon Ed and Sarcastic Fringehead…

Old BWE material, both registered in 2005….

Finish your seal discussion over a burger and a cold soda (sorry, no beer allowed in the park).

Crap, I said to myself I was going to stop lobbying for WCW…
lambadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambadmin View Post
Take a note new gang…

3 subjects with high likelihood to result in lively discussions on kayak fishing boards:

-Eating calicos
-GW shark
-Seals – kill ‘em or not…
Last time I was out I saw a GWS attack a sea lion that had caught, but not released, a calico. I'm just saying......
Old 05-18-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
madscientist

I've put over 400 days in at LJ in the last couple of years, I know many other friends that fish hard as well, and I have never seen nor known someone who has seen a dead sea lion OTW, gunshot or otherwise.

Wasn't there a story last year of sea lions being killed for their gonads (apparently considered an aphrodiasic in some parts of the world)? Might not just be anglers popping them.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
esdees
The Good Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I've put over 400 days in at LJ in the last couple of years, I know many other friends that fish hard as well, and I have never seen nor known someone who has seen a dead sea lion OTW, gunshot or otherwise.
Actually, I saw one on Saturday. It was floating upside down, had foam coming out of it's mouth and stunk like... well... like a dead sea lion. I could see some intestines coming out of it, but I couldn't see the wound. I would guess that it was a young GWS attack. When I was coming up to it I was planning to take some pictures, but it was just too nasty.

-Patrick
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdees View Post
Actually, I saw one on Saturday. It was floating upside down, had foam coming out of it's mouth and stunk like... well... like a dead sea lion. I could see some intestines coming out of it, but I couldn't see the wound. I would guess that it was a young GWS attack. When I was coming up to it I was planning to take some pictures, but it was just too nasty.

-Patrick
Cool. I've never smelt dead sea lion, but imagine it's pretty rank.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
wavster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambadmin View Post
Crap, I said to myself I was going to stop lobbying for WCW…

Keep lobbying Adi! Only 18 hours until lines can be dropped and less than 24 hours until the final whistle blows!
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
Afran
fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic Fringehead View Post
Say whatever you want...I'm done with this arguement.

Afran is offline   Reply With Quote