Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Iebadboy

Sabiki rods?

I was wondering what everyone uses for there sabiki rigs and catching bait thinking about getting one of the kayak sabiki rods any thoughts?
Thanks
Iebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
DanaPT

maybe i do it wrong. . .

I keep a sabiki rig wrapped around a hook & leader holder. When ready for bait I attach to one of the set-ups I have, find fish on the FF and drop er down.

no dedicated sabiki rod/reel used here.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iebadboy View Post
I was wondering what everyone uses for there sabiki rigs and catching bait thinking about getting one of the kayak sabiki rods any thoughts?
Thanks
I have an cheap rod that was free from the Fred Hall Show a few years ago. It has an old jigmaster that does the job good. I think most use something similar.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
wade

They are great, but I personally dont use a dedicated Sabiki rod for several reasons. Space mostly..I just use my extra 9' jigstick.
I usually only bring 3-4 Rods max, and if its one of those crazy days and you have double hook ups and double break offs, you at least have one more to go to..

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

I too was thinking about a dedicated sabiki / squid jig rod. But had a question about making bait.
Typically do you make bait first thing out on the water then that's it or continue to make bait thru out the day on the water?
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwntwnall4u View Post
I too was thinking about a dedicated sabiki / squid jig rod. But had a question about making bait.
Typically do you make bait first thing out on the water then that's it or continue to make bait thru out the day on the water?
Some days the bait is thick in the water and its not hard to fill up first thing. Some days you gotta be on the lookout for bait throughout the day. Just all depends on what the conditions are, and how well your baittank keeps your bait.

And as far as bait rod setup I keep a cheap shimano spinning combo with a medium action rod with my sabiki with me. The sabiki rods have no bend and I find the lack of flex lets the bait jump the hook more often.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Like stated above... there is no room on my boat for a dedicated sabiki rod.

The best piece of advice I was given was to cut every sabiki in half. Things quickly become a tangled mess on a kayak while trying to remove 5 large mackerel from your sabiki... three hooks is much more manageable and efficient.

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #8
Drake

I have on I got from Charkbait. It's not bad. It doesn't always go in and out as smooth as I would like it too, but it's nice to have one less thing to worry about. I have a PA so I have room for 6 rods, so space doesn't matter. I also cut mine in half and noticed it definitely makes things more manageable. I would suggest when you're done with your trip, wash it all down with fresh water, and leave the hooks out of the rod to dry, otherwise they will rust up quick. Also, keep some paper clips on board. It can be a pain in the butt to thread the line through the rod, especially mono. Completely straightening out a paper clip, and tieng the line to end then dropping it through the rod will make it so easy. Hope that help.

Neill
Old 02-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
The best piece of advice I was given was to cut every sabiki in half. .

Owyn nailed it.....
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

bass pro has them for like $75 bucks with reel. i'm going to get one. they're two piece too so they'll fit in my hatch for surf launch.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
coxtanker421

get the short one for kayaks

i got one that was eight foot. what a nightmare with five or six macs on . like someone mentioned three hooks is much better. they sell a shorter version sibiki rod for kayaks. i cropped my down . i love it now. good luck.
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

http://www.basspro.com/Bait-Stiktrad...SSSELL_PRODUCT
Old 02-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
RK

Another trick is to crimp the barbs on the sabiki (fly fisherman style) and just apply constant pressure (you will lose a couple here and there), the bait pops right off unharmed and lively and when you end up with one of those mini hooks in your hand it will slide right out.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

cutting sabikis in half saves a great deal of trouble. i just cut mine, tie on snap swivels on either end, and wrap the shortened sabiki jigs around a piece of cardboard then put them each inside of a sandwich bag.

if i need to make bait, i just snap the sabiki on top of whatever current rig i have set up.. make quick bait, then unsnap it and put it away. its not the cleanest neatest thing, but it gets the job done without having to retie all of the time, and i dont need to bring a dedicated sabiki rod.

sometimes... i am too lazy for that too.. and i just bring an empty spool and put 50 yards of line on it, and tie the sabiki rig onto the line. i hand-sabiki the fish since they are usually less than 30ft deep.