Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #21
Salty Dog
loves bacon

I have a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160 and a Hobie Revolution 13.

I got the Tarpon first. I wanted a kayak that was seaworthy and could cover long distances. The first thing I bought after was a carbon fiber paddle. A good paddle can turn any kayak into a better kayak. I have paddled and fished with it from Newport Beach to Laguna Beach and back without too much trouble. I think someone made the crossing to Catalina on one.
Paddling for fish is an art. More skills are required to handle the kayak. I welcome the challenge.

I got the Hobie when I noticed that my my legs were beginning to look like chicken legs while my shoulders were all buffed out. Balance is the key. Great training for hiking or backpacking!!!
Pedaling for fish is fun! No skills required! With paddling I had to stop to have a drink. Now I just keep going and not waste any precious beer drinking time

I better get back on the Tarpon soon. My arms are starting to look like chicken wings.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
Iebadboy

Talking Rigged kayaks

I want to thank all of you and your recommendations was wanting to know if any one was willing to share photos of your riged hobie's
Thanks
Iebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
PapaDave

Here is a recent pic of my Pro Angler...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4143.jpg (50.4 KB, 220 views)
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #24
f'nsabiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDCh View Post
how much are your slip fees???
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Show off...... Hey, where and what is that cool Go Pro mount?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #26
thefisher

Hey PapaDCh what sounder is that im in the market and weren't clear on which model to get.
thefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #27
jorluivil

Get a Hobie

When your battery dies I'll peddle past you
When you paddle breaks I'll peddle past you
When my peddles break, your battery dies and your paddle breaks I'll paddle past you
When my paddle breaks......I'll call you and ask you how you got in when your motor and your paddle broke.

I've owned both types of kayaks but nothing beats a Hobie.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #28
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Get a Hobie

When your battery dies I'll peddle past you
When you paddle breaks I'll peddle past you
When my peddles break, your battery dies and your paddle breaks I'll paddle past you
When my paddle breaks......I'll call you and ask you how you got in when your motor and your paddle broke.

I've owned both types of kayaks but nothing beats a Hobie.

Ha! You've never owned a luxury liner with a motor...you'd change your tune.

Then again, not too many people have the mechanical ability to design a motor system...so they don't have much of a choice.

When your struggling to get back, I'll motor past you in reverse and ask you what the big deal is...as I clip my toe nails. I can cruise my motorized yak for 7+ hours(haven't run out of battery yet)...how many hours can you peddle before you pass out? HAHAHAHA

mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #29
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by f'nsabiki View Post
how much are your slip fees???
Slip fees aren't too bad, it's the ammo that hits the wallet...
Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #30
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
Show off...... Hey, where and what is that cool Go Pro mount?
It's a combo of a flexible arm and a motorcycle handle bar mount. Both from the Ram web site. The arm is made of a solid aluminum rod that can bend, but not easliy, so it stays where you put it.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #31
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisher View Post
Hey PapaDCh what sounder is that im in the market and weren't clear on which model to get.
It's a Lowrance Elite 5, GPS and FF. Works very well. Been thinking of getting a side scanning one though. Not sure if those work on a kayak, but it would be cool.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #32
PapaDave

All in all, while it weighs more then other kayaks, the PA is a mighty fine ride. The chair is wonderfully comfortable, lots of storage, lots of room, six internal rod holders and very very stable.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #33
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Ha! You've never owned a luxury liner with a motor...you'd change your tune.

Then again, not too many people have the mechanical ability to design a motor system...so they don't have much of a choice.

When your struggling to get back, I'll motor past you in reverse and ask you what the big deal is...as I clip my toe nails. I can cruise my motorized yak for 7+ hours(haven't run out of battery yet)...how many hours can you peddle before you pass out? HAHAHAHA

I'd say about 14 hours... isn't that about right Jorluivil?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #34
Drake

I recently went from a Stealth 12 to a Hobie Pro Angler. I've found a lot of benifits, mostly listed above. But to be honest, I find myself Kayaking 300% more than I did with the stealth. Just the little things you can do on a hobie make it so much more enjoyable on the water. I hated having to secure my poles, grab the paddle, and move back on top of a good spot.

Maintaining position on the Hobie is so much easier. Point your bow toward where the wind/current is coming from, set the rudder and just slowly peddle, all the while you still have your rod in your hand.

Trolling is another good example. I like trolling with my rod in my hand. I can control the baits better by controlling the rod tip, jerking plastics, feeling hits ect.

Also, when you got caught on the bottom or in some kelp, you know right away. As opposed to when you're paddling and you're already to far to really do your self any favors. In a hobie, you can peddle around whatever you're caught on and are much more likely to free your rig.

I will say this though. I miss the side compartments on my Stealth more than anything, those were the best things to have.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #35
jorluivil

Quote:
I'd say about 14 hours... isn't that about right Jorluivil?
Longest I've gone is from about 6am until about 4pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I recently went from a Stealth 12 to a Hobie Pro Angler. I've found a lot of benifits, mostly listed above. But to be honest, I find myself Kayaking 300% more than I did with the stealth. Just the little things you can do on a hobie make it so much more enjoyable on the water. I hated having to secure my poles, grab the paddle, and move back on top of a good spot.

Maintaining position on the Hobie is so much easier. Point your bow toward where the wind/current is coming from, set the rudder and just slowly peddle, all the while you still have your rod in your hand.

Trolling is another good example. I like trolling with my rod in my hand. I can control the baits better by controlling the rod tip, jerking plastics, feeling hits ect.

Also, when you got caught on the bottom or in some kelp, you know right away. As opposed to when you're paddling and you're already to far to really do your self any favors. In a hobie, you can peddle around whatever you're caught on and are much more likely to free your rig.

I will say this though. I miss the side compartments on my Stealth more than anything, those were the best things to have.
What ^^^he^^^ said. Especially, the stuff in bold print regarding storage

There's a reason why Hobie is taking over the market. Many of us have been on both types of yaks and so far I haven't met one person that has said, "I'm going back to paddling".

Old 02-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #36
Iebadboy

look!!!!!

well im apart of a new family now!! !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rlphoto.jpg (58.4 KB, 146 views)
Old 02-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #37
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Most of the comments posted above are valid and reasonable. IMO, the most valuable feature of the Hobie system is the "hands free" factor. You can go where you want to go while still keeping your hand on your rod making it possible to instantly respond to whatever is on the other end of the line.

If this is important to you, then Hobie is the way to go.

That said, many of us are regularly out-fished by folks with better skills on other platforms.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #38
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iebadboy View Post
Don't forget to remove the wrapping before you launch

Old 02-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #39
Iebadboy

So that's why it was hard to sit on......
Old 02-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #40
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iebadboy View Post
I carry my PA on my toaster too, its so easy to get it on and off