Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
dmr

5/30 pm(s)

I launched around 4:00, to short period, smallish surf. Not bad if you waited for the lull. I got out dry as did Brad before me. I watched few sit-insides get swamped (no skirts). The wind was pretty light, but the mixed swell had things pretty chopped up. The surface water temp was most 68.5 F. Only three or four others out.

While initially fun on a 196, I was reminded that sabikis and bonito don't mix. There were many bonito and monster macs along the edge of the kelp. They thoroughly thrashed my sabiki and straighted hooks. There were all the bonito that one could want. I paddled away and finally picked up some foot long greenback and aaded a few spanish along the way.

My flyline got picked up around 6:45. About five seconds passed as I turned the kayak and let it run. I slowly pushed the drag towards "strike", my rod loaded up and I was on for < 1 second. Stupid circle hook. I dropped back into free spool for awhile and then slowly brought it back in. It got picked up and dropped once on the retrieve, then nothing. The bait had the WSB looking teeth marks. Oh well, maybe next time.

I headed in around 8:30. I got caught by a sneaker set that broke 20-30 yards back from the previous waves. The first one broke on top of me, but I pulled through it. I was able to reverse through the next two and ride a smaller wave in. Although the landing wasn't dry, I stayed up right and was happy that I could punch backwards through the waves without doing a nose stand.

I left the launch around 9:00. Brad was still out.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote