Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   5/30 pm(s) (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=886)

dmr 05-30-2006 09:28 PM

5/30 pm(s)

I launched around 4:00, to short period, smallish surf. Not bad if you waited for the lull. I got out dry as did Brad before me. I watched few sit-insides get swamped (no skirts). The wind was pretty light, but the mixed swell had things pretty chopped up. The surface water temp was most 68.5 F. Only three or four others out.

While initially fun on a 196, I was reminded that sabikis and bonito don't mix. There were many bonito and monster macs along the edge of the kelp. They thoroughly thrashed my sabiki and straighted hooks. There were all the bonito that one could want. I paddled away and finally picked up some foot long greenback and aaded a few spanish along the way.

My flyline got picked up around 6:45. About five seconds passed as I turned the kayak and let it run. I slowly pushed the drag towards "strike", my rod loaded up and I was on for < 1 second. Stupid circle hook. I dropped back into free spool for awhile and then slowly brought it back in. It got picked up and dropped once on the retrieve, then nothing. The bait had the WSB looking teeth marks. Oh well, maybe next time.

I headed in around 8:30. I got caught by a sneaker set that broke 20-30 yards back from the previous waves. The first one broke on top of me, but I pulled through it. I was able to reverse through the next two and ride a smaller wave in. Although the landing wasn't dry, I stayed up right and was happy that I could punch backwards through the waves without doing a nose stand.

I left the launch around 9:00. Brad was still out.

madscientist 05-30-2006 10:08 PM

My only boney landed tonight, but he was a scrapper. 10.5#.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/f...997_975067.JPG

Every bait got shredded by these toothy terrors. Stayed out into deep darkness but no love from anything else. Confused seas, light wind, smooth landing. Try again tomorrow.

Iceman 05-31-2006 05:43 AM

Nice bone Brad, is that one getting weighed at the Marlin Club? 10.5 is big enough to capture the flag. Mine were only 5-6 pounders, so I did not keep any.

http://www.afishinados.com/leaderboard.html

madscientist 05-31-2006 06:19 AM

Where's the Marlin club? Gonna weigh it somewhere and keep my fingers crossed. Little devil fought hard. Almost fooled me into thinking it could be the right kind until I saw the black tail.

Iceman 05-31-2006 06:38 AM

Mission Bay Marlin Club 619-224-8229
Oceanside Harbor 760-435-4000
Southwestern Yacht Club 619-222-0438
San Diego Marlin Club 619-222-8677

Closest weigh in for you would be Mission Bay, print out some weigh slips, there is a pdf link at the top of the leader board. Good luck!

bearlythere 05-31-2006 07:17 AM

SAWT HE SAME YESTERDAY HEADED OUT BOUT 5:00 ON MY GREEN X-FACTOR......GOT TORE UP BY THE BONITA AND BIG MACS CUTTUNG UP MY FISH TRAPS..LOTS OF FUN....ALL RELEASED HAD ONE FISH ALMOST SPOOL ME BEFORE BREAKING OF...NVER SAW HIM....THE CALICO WERE GOING OFF THOUGH...GOT TWELVE...ALL REALEASE... AND A FEW OVER 4-5 LBS...NICE FISH......THERE WERE BIG SWELLS OUT SIDE MAKING ME BELIEVE THE LANDING WAS GOING TO SUCK...WAS A BIT WET BUT UPRIGHT...i FEEL THE SAME WAY BOUT THE LAST FISH I LOST WITHOUT EVEN SEEING HIM....ILL JUST SAY HE WAS A BIG WSB AND LEAVE IT AT THAT ....MAYBE NEXT TIME IS RIGHT.....

Dan 05-31-2006 08:47 AM

Derek.....sounds like some close encounters of the right kind!

Brad, Dana landing scale office has the Marlin Club forms. Grill/Smoked my Bonito last night in Soy Vay marinade. VERY good. Don't be bonie haters!

dmr 05-31-2006 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan
Grill/Smoked my Bonito last night in Soy Vay marinade. VERY good. Don't be bonie haters!

I didn't keep any of mine, since they were caught early and I didn't want them sitting in the sun (and they weren't 10+ lbs). I looked for more later on my way in and couldn't find any. I'll keep one or four next time and fire up the smoker.

madscientist 05-31-2006 09:30 AM

Fresh bonie sashimi is also pretty good, particularly on the boat when it's still twitching. Didn't bleed this guy since I didn't want it to lose weight so it will be catfood.

Dennis 06-01-2006 01:09 PM

Set out with Ryan through some nice sets at 2pm. Caught a monster Calico and lost two WSB lastnight. One short bit... and the other at color. :(
-Dennis

Afran 06-01-2006 01:29 PM

Dennis
What happened? Hook pull, line break? Details please.

Dennis 06-01-2006 05:32 PM

Afran,
Now that I think about it... it was my fault. I guess you can say "fisherman error"... After I caught that calico, I didn't bother cutting and re-tying the line. I know the teeth frayed the line a bit, and I think that's why it broke off. The wsb was still pretty hot, it charged and when I got it to color it went crazy... POP!!! and then :cry: . I'm looking for it manana. Afran, you still got that 40#?
-D

Ryan The Sealion 06-01-2006 09:02 PM

I killed a 10# bonie cuz it knocked my gaff in the water (and I haven't tried it in years) never again will I eat 1 of those oversized mackeral :oops:

Aaron&Julie 06-01-2006 11:58 PM

Smoked barracuda, bonito and yellowtail tonight, and while all 3 are excellent the bonito is the best. For a $1.50 each at Walmart we bought a couple of hot/cold bags and put some blue ice in them before our trip on Wednesday. The 6 lb bonito Aaron caught was bled, tail chopped off, bagged and dropped in to stay firm and fresh.
Also, had fresh hamachi tonight, plus a couple of slices of raw bonito. Julie goes with teriyaki, Aaron teriyaki and wasabi. Mmmm, mmmm, good. Again, the bonito held its own against the yellowtail. It's just gotta be bled and kept cold.

Ryan The Sealion 06-02-2006 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie
For a $1.50 each at Walmart we bought a couple of hot/cold bags

next time ur at walmart hit up the bait freezer and buy some frozen macks to smoke...I bet it tastes the same as bonito :lol:

Aaron&Julie 06-03-2006 08:59 AM

You can probably smoke a boot and it would taste good :lol: .