Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Trident 15
Junior

Bait tank Question

Hi guys i have my bait tank almost done. The tank is a vittles vault with the overflows set at 5 Gals , the input is done, the rodholders are done, the input from Rule 360 is in and hooked up to over the side Pump, and the mounting tabs are done, and it is mounted in my Trident 15 Now for the question : I am planning on buying the 6V 12ah Battery from OEX Mission Bay to run pump BUT should i run a TIMER also ???

Will the 6V slow the pump enough and run all day or is the timer still necessary ?

I plan on using the tank for bait and livewell for bay tourneys

Any help will be greatly appreciated !!

Bob.........................
Trident 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Jimmyz123

I'm looking forward to the replies on this one. I'm just starting to build my tank.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
JoeBeck

I've used a 6V for years and it typically runs all day. I do have a spare for those rare occasions. I do not have it on a timer, just a switch behind me that I turn off and on. I have never wished I had a timer for my bait tank. Until my new bait tank I did not have a drain plug though and often wished I had that. It is a nice feature to be able to drain your tank before landing. 41lb less that needs to dragged onto the beach.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Jim Sammons LJKF

Igloo cooler drains work perfect on the bait tanks and is what I used to put on the custom tanks I built.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
kareem korn

To decrease the flow I removed the cover turned on the pump and held a file to the impeller and shaved some off.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
Igloo cooler drains work perfect on the bait tanks and is what I used to put on the custom tanks I built.

I second that, Thats why we stock them at OEX. Great bait tank drains.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
jorluivil

Battery: 6v for me...never had an issue with the battery running low. As far as the timer goes I never had one and never really found a reason to install one. Once I start heading in I just turn off the pump and it will drain on its own.......I guess it's just a matter of preference.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
GregAndrew

I have never run a fully charged 6v 12a battery down in a single outing. I run mine continuously with no timer on an 800 gph pump. I have run them dry on the second day though, so I have 2 to keep one on the charger. Depending on the draw of your particular pump, I would say at least 12 hours run time.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

I just made one out of the Vittle as well and agree with Joe, add an on/off switch, it will increase battery life as you can always easily turn the pump off when not in use.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
BigBalsa
Junior

Ohm's Law 101

To get an idea of battery life for your bait tank, read the performance data sheet for the pump you have. There should be a specification for both flow rate (GPH) and power consumption (Amps) for the product voltage (typically 12V DC). For example, I use a Whale Super Sub Bilge Pump that produces a flow rate of 550 GPH with 2.8 Amps draw at 12V DC.

So, suppose you connected this pump to a 12V 5AH battery. You should expect less than 2 hours total run time: 5AH / 2.8 Amps = appx. 1 Hour 48 minutes. Not so great for kayak fishing unless you are DORADO50!

Now, following Ohm's Law (Amps = Volts/Ohms) since resistance is constant, suppose you use a 6V 5AH battery instead. This effectively reduces the power consumption by 50%: (Amps*1/2 = Volts*1/2 / Ohms). This doubles the run time to appx. 3 Hour 34 minutes. Much better. However, since the pump now runs at lower speed, so is your flow rate going to be reduced (to around 225 GPH).

If you use instead a 6V 12AH battery for the above pump, you would expect a run time of nearly 7 hours. That is a good amount of time on the water. Again, remember that as the battery draws down, the voltage output will drop, and the pump will run even slower.

Finally, by adding an On/Off switch for the pump, you can avoid running the pump until you actually have bait in the tank (and if you run out of bait you can turn it off). That should get you through the day.

Tomorrow's lesson: Iron 101
BigBalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:24 AM   #11
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBalsa View Post
Tomorrow's lesson: Iron 101
Here ya go

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/index.php?page=iron
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #12
Trident 15
Junior

OK i put the drain in today and got it ready for the 6V 12ah battery and switch , great info on the Iron, Now it is on to the Kayak cart or dolly build , the cart is pretty easy "It will NOT go thru the Scuppers" BUT the wheels HUMMMMMM!! i want something that will go Over the sand not thru .
I went to Harbor Freight but all their wheels were TOO narrow, they would work for hard pack or grass but not for sand . I found these Plastic Power Wheels from their Power Wheels Quad they are 12" to 14" round and 6 to 7 in wide and handle 220 lbs cant see why they wouldnt work , they are on E-Bay from a factory auth service center For $ 17.00 EA But they want like $20.00 shipping each WOW. Anoybody have a wrecked Power Wheels Quad Hummmm ??

Thanks for all the replies they do really help !!

Bob......................
Trident 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #13
BigBalsa
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
-Ok. Class dismissed.
BigBalsa is offline   Reply With Quote