Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Dennis

Yo Aaron! LJ 8/24 am

AARON, Thanks for the candy this morning.. I know you're up on this board, but I can't find your handle. Good looking out, bud.
Launched with Avery at 0200. Clear skies, full moon, no wind, green 65-68 degree water, and 15' water vis. I wasn't planning on making squirts, because Avery handed off a bag of fresh dead (Thanks). It looked ripe out there, until the marauding mega macs came through. They burned through my bait so I decided to stick a by catch greenie on my dropper. I got picked up by a mystery fish that took me to the kelp and popped off maybe twenty feet down. The fog came in pretty thick for about two hours. Off the water at 0830. I saw a couple of guys fishing inside the reserve as I was paddling in. I think they were fairly new, so I kicked them some knowledge.... Please know the reserve boundaries. Oh, first time in six years that I actually smelled skunk out there.. It was strong too. Never a good sign.
-D
Old 08-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Oh, first time in six years that I actually smelled skunk out there.. It was strong too.
-D
You must of been downwind of Wade lighting one up.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Hypoxic1

LOL ERIC!

OMG Almost shat myself laughing!
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Aaron

Hey Dennis, no worries man! Was stoked to see you getting your sleigh ride. Let's get back out there!!
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Dennis

I should have figured that would be your handle. I even did a search, but I thought you peddled a Hobie (not the X). The mystery fish felt blackish... Oh, who am I kidding... Probably a yellow. Jasmin said he lost a big seriola this morning. Thanks again.
-D
Old 08-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
wade

Skunked yes, but that was pure Titan O.G...The switch got shut off today for sure..they are gorged perhaps? Give it a day..there is a reason that camera angle is the way it is..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbmQLKWMfQE....

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Dennis

Oh what, no music? . The fog burn off nicely for you? I hate fishing out there in fog..
Old 08-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
AARON, Thanks for the candy this morning.. I know you're up on this board, but I can't find your handle. Good looking out, bud.
Launched with Avery at 0200. Clear skies, full moon, no wind, green 65-68 degree water, and 15' water vis. I wasn't planning on making squirts, because Avery handed off a bag of fresh dead (Thanks). It looked ripe out there, until the marauding mega macs came through. They burned through my bait so I decided to stick a by catch greenie on my dropper. I got picked up by a mystery fish that took me to the kelp and popped off maybe twenty feet down. The fog came in pretty thick for about two hours. Off the water at 0830. I saw a couple of guys fishing inside the reserve as I was paddling in. I think they were fairly new, so I kicked them some knowledge.... Please know the reserve boundaries. Oh, first time in six years that I actually smelled skunk out there.. It was strong too. Never a good sign.
-D
Now that's a good fishing report. Short and to the point. Informative as well. We need to get back where everyone feels comfortable posting these kinds of reports. So the guys on BD read them. Is that such a bad thing?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
Dan

seiner exhaust and 1000000 gpm squirt hold pumps can put a slight damper on a bite.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
So the guys on BD read them. Is that such a bad thing?
Yes.

Fish when you can, share if you want. Definitely don't need a report to go fishing. No one is getting down on those that report. Plenty of reports go around via pm too which is a great function of the board. And the privacy of it all really serves an unseen purpose and plays an important role in keeping the fishery strong and maintaining our access to such a unique place. Reports of good fishing eventually make it on the web and those people that want to just go "catching" can try to swing in on the tail end of hot bites with the crowds after reading the "dope" online. Those that want to get up at ungodly hours, put in the time on the water, and put up some zeros all to eventually hit it on some unexpected wide open days aren't waiting for reports and they definitely have earned those few uncrowded days/weeks of great fishing before the masses come moving in.

Reports are fun for passing the few idle minutes at work, but you can get the same stoke out of reading those stories with or without a delay. It shouldn't change whether you end up going fishing or not. But there are never any fish in LJ anyways so really no worries! Nothing personal Bob. Just my 2 cents which is probably worth a little less than 1/2 that.

Dennis...yeah, I was on a revo, just haven't updated my bio thing. I guess I could do that now...nah. I saw Jasmine and I thought he looked a little blue.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:27 AM   #11
j mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
seiner exhaust and 1000000 gpm squirt hold pumps can put a slight damper on a bite.
what he says.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
roadx

damn wade did you have VIP parking next to the squid boat??
Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #13
swinginFish

An "old fart's" lament

While many who read this don't remember, posting recent conditions (good or bad) used to be the norm - if not obligation. When the LJ kayak fishing community was nascent, we used Allen Peugh's board for posting, and then things migrated to Jim's board. Slowly Greg's, Cory's & Andy's labor of love (aka: "BWE") became the popular board, with the community's cohesion and general openess remaining.

While BWE became proprietary a few years back, it seems of late that there's a prevailing norm discouraging posts that detail aspects of a recent hot bite. Its obviously each to his own but I, for one, miss the times when all who fished LJ felt part of a community, and comfortably and unreservedly shared information on these public forums.

WTG Dennis!

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #14
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginFish View Post
While many who read this don't remember, posting recent conditions (good or bad) used to be the norm - if not obligation. When the LJ kayak fishing community was nascent, we used Allen Peugh's board for posting, and then things migrated to Jim's board. Slowly Greg's, Cory's & Andy's labor of love (aka: "BWE") became the popular board, with the community's cohesion and general openess remaining.

While BWE became proprietary a few years back, it seems of late that there's a prevailing norm discouraging posts that detail aspects of a recent hot bite. Its obviously each to his own but I, for one, miss the times when all who fished LJ felt part of a community, and comfortably and unreservedly shared information on these public forums.

WTG Dennis!

Avery

agreed... but the community has grown... I have nothing against my fellow fishermen... and sharing info... but I prefer to fish alone, and when I fish alone, I fish by myself

Too bad on the yellow D... next time!

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
DENNYh

Quote:
Reports are fun for passing the few idle minutes at work
you got that right. good to read when at the office. hot bite or not, many cant fish weekdays anyway. whats the big deal post what you want.
DENNYh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #16
BigBalsa
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
agreed... but the community has grown... I have nothing against my fellow fishermen... and sharing info... but I prefer to fish alone, and when I fish alone, I fish by myself

Too bad on the yellow D... next time!
I believe that you mean: When you fish alone, you PREFER to fish by yourself (aka. Thorogood)
BigBalsa is offline   Reply With Quote