Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2021, 06:06 AM   #21
BenCantrell

For me boats weren't too bad in San Diego / La Jolla, but the one time I launched from San Pedro I got caught in heavy fog on the route between Long Beach and Catalina. Several times I had to quickly paddle out of the way of an approaching boat where I couldn't see the operator.

Wind conditions that weren't in the forecast are my biggest fear.

Florida has me more concerned about sharks. I like the idea of the Stealth Fusion 480, but it would put my thighs even closer to the water than my Trident.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:03 PM   #22
PapaDave

For me, weather. Despite forecasts of decent wind/waves, it can be very different in real life.

Last Sunday a guest and I hit Dana Point, forecast indicated it would be cloudy with a light wind. I wish, the wind was blowing fairly decent and it was raining. We went out anyway, got about a mile down the coastline, was actually catching some bass for a change, when I looked out to the west and saw a wall of whitecaps heading towards us. We turned tail and hauled butt towards the harbor, that little Bixby cranked all the way up. About halfway back the wall hit, wind waves were about four feet and several crashed over the front and side. We were in a PA17 and were getting tossed around like a cork. Was a bit on the concerned side, but we made it to the harbor and drifted around there for a while.

I've seen GW's many times out there, they seem to come around to check me out. They don't bother me, I guess 17 feet of plastic isn't part of their preferred diet. I keep an eye open for boats all the time, and whales, had one come up unseen about fifty feet to the right and blow, jumped about two feet out of the seat.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #23
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
My biggest fear when I go to La Jolla weekly is that it's going to be one of those days were the forecast said the surf height and wind was my desired top limit of surf 3' and wind no more than 11 mph or less and it turns into much higher wind while out and the surface gets really snotty. It just ruins the water conditions and it's no fun being out even drifting. Otherwise my only other fear is running out of beer.
Sometimes if the surf gets bigger than forecast while out fishing, I will opt to go in an inlet instead of dealing with the chance of getting pummeled on the beach. Not so many inlets to choose from on the West Coast, but with your Solo skiff, you got more range, so maybe that will become an option. It's a bit awkward getting in an uber after kayak fishing to get back to the car, but so far no incidence.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:52 AM   #24
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
The most persistent worry is wakes from larger boats.

The largest would be not being able to fight the wind/waves/weather to get back home.

The scariest day on the water I ever had was when a fog rolled in late morning. I could hear boats all around me and couldn't see any of them. Quite the pucker factor.
I share those concerns... If the wind is blowing off the land, I limit myself to 1 mile maximum offshore. Getting blow out to sea would be a nightmare.

Fog is eerie stuff. I have spent a week at anchor in thick soup fog on a big ship waiting for it to clear sufficient to go up the Houston ship channel.

If you think you might be getting in fog, carry an air horn. If the fog socks in, I would use the whistle signal for a vessel restricted in ability to maneuver. Which is to sound, at intervals of not more than 2 minutes, three blasts in succession, namely, one prolonged followed by two short blasts. A prolong blast is 4 to 6 seconds.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:00 AM   #25
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Incorrect weather forecast. But I wouldn’t go offshore on a yak if it was bad from the get go. I have been caught off shore a few times when bad weather came out of no where.

One most notable was when I was about 3-4 miles out of Oceanside one summer and a freak tropical storm came in and I was surrounded by lightning and pouring rain. It was the same day about 6-7 people got struck by lightning on Venice beach.

A quick google search says that was July 27 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Six to Seven people struck by lightning on Venice Beach -- that's insane! Sometimes when I launch in the dark, I can see lightning hitting the water 15-25miles away. When the static gets thick in the air, any vertical fishing rods will buzz. When the rods buzz, it's time to secure them horizontally and peddle back to shore.

Last edited by JohnMckroidJr; 06-14-2021 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:34 AM   #26
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
Inshore: kooks

Offshore: not enough ice or killbag for 100lb+ bluefin

Bay: wondering if my cat is being stolen
Lol Lol Honestly my ass worries my VHF won't notify me of the incoming Tsunami

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13