Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
YakMedic

Rancho Leonero questions

I'm heading to Rancho Leonero in two weeks and plan on only kayak fishing while I'm there. I've read through the previous posts and questions about the ranch but still had a few myself. I'm flying with a couple travel rod setups 20# & 40# bringing my own gaff and a bunch of crocodiles, and irons.

For those of you that have kayak fished the area did you do any bait fishing? I'm thinking of bringing some sabiki's, hooks and weights just in case.

Has anybody brought their own fishfinder and if so what did you do for the battery. My normal unit runs on a LiFepo4 battery and lithium based batteries are usually a no fly item.

I'm also planning on bringing down an empty cooler to bring back fillets i'm just not sure on the size (I'm leaning towards a 40qt). I'm flying Spirit air and their luggage policy seems a little ridiculous.

Looking for any input and suggestions. Thanks Guys
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
PAL

LOTS of bait fishing. Consider taking a soft sided bait tank - I use mine as a carry on. You can usually buy live bait. You're only down there for a short time. Might as well do a little more to stimulate the local economy.

Batteries, I've had my difficulties. Other guys manage it in their checked luggage. Any fishfinder is helpful.

If you have a breakdown travel paddle, it is really nice to have.

You're going to the Ranch. No matter what, it's a wonderful time away from the rat race. Beware the margaritas. They don't mess around. So good, I can spend all afternoon sitting at the Rancho's old bar.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
LOTS of bait fishing. Consider taking a soft sided bait tank - I use mine as a carry on. You can usually buy live bait. You're only down there for a short time. Might as well do a little more to stimulate the local economy.

Batteries, I've had my difficulties. Other guys manage it in their checked luggage. Any fishfinder is helpful.

If you have a breakdown travel paddle, it is really nice to have.

You're going to the Ranch. No matter what, it's a wonderful time away from the rat race. Beware the margaritas. They don't mess around. So good, I can spend all afternoon sitting at the Rancho's old bar.
Thanks Paul, Awesome info
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Should be a blast, they do have PAs that you can rent for the day there. The reefs right off of the ranch are loaded with triggers, pargo and other reef fish.

I never did any bait fishing, but I only fished off the yak for one day. A guide that I met down there told me that you could buy bait, paddle about a mile out and you are already in billfish territory.

I don't think a fish finder would be necessary, there is 30ft visibility on the reefs I fished and the trolling you wouldn't need it, but I guess it wouldn't hurt. My captain down there (Santos) said to try and troll the area where off-color water meets the deeper blue water, maybe give that a try. Have a blast, that place is seriously heaven
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Zed
BANNED

I did catch some bait sized green jacks and bait size bonito, but generally the bait sellers travel quite a distance to get the sardinas and/or green macks to sell. You would be quite lucky to find them close.

Our standard sabikis w/ 10# line are inadequate. So many toothy, larger than our average bait fish. Triggers will snip off your flies one by one. Either tie some heavy duty sabikis or do yourself a favor and bail on the bait tank. You won't miss it. Everything you've bought that you thought was a cool lure but haven't used, will work fine, and it will make you feel better for buying them in the first place.

If you're going to motherpanga, then the panga is your bait tank.