Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #41
JeffB

Exclamation I'm the one that fell in...

I'M THE GUY WHO GOT FLIPPED THAT NIGHT IN WADE'S HERE STORY. MY NET WAS CUT, BY WHAT DUNNO. I HAVE HAD SEALS AND OTHER FISH RIP THROUGH MY NETS BEFORE, BUT THIS WAS A CLEAN CUT ON ONE OF THE 3 ROPES THAT CONNECT TO THE RING. sO WHAT COULD HAVE MADE A PERFECTLY CLEAN CUT DUNNO. MOST OF MY NET TEARS ARE RAGGED, ACTUALLY ALL OF THEM. AND THEY ARE ALL THE MESH, THIS WAS THE ROPE.

ON ANOTHER NOTE I AM ALMOST POSITIVE IT WAS NOT A DIVER WHO FLIPPED ME, GOSH LETS HOPE NOT. WHAT IT WAS DON'T KNOW. I DOVE INTO THE WATER WHEN MY KAYAK WAS BUMPED TO KEEP IT FROM CAPSIZING COMPLETELY. I WAS RIGHT BESIDE A COMMERCIAL BUOY, SO THAT COULD HAVE BEEN WHAT THUDDED MY KAYAK. I WAS TRYING TO RE-POSITION MYSELF AND A WAVE MIGHT HAVE PUSHED ME INTO THE BUOY FLIPPING ME OVER, WE WILL NEVER KNOW. NEEDLESS TO SAY I GOT BACK ON MY KAYAK ALRIGHT. IT DID SCARE THE SHIT OUT OF ME WITH ALL THE KELP LIGHTING UP AND MY AWESOME PANICKY DOG PADDLE SKILLS I HAD GOING.

AS FAR AS LOBSTER I HAD ONE LEGAL AND NEITHER OF THE OTHER TWO HAD ONE WHEN I LEFT. WHETHER OR NOT THEY TORE THEM UP AFTERWARDS, DUNNO. ONE GENTLEMEN TOLD ME HE WENT HOME EMPTY HANDED. THERE WAS SOMETHING SLAPPING AT THE WATER. THE HARD A$$ HOOPING FROM HIS SURF BOARD TOLD ME IT WAS MOST LIKELY A SEAL. AT THE TIME BEING I WAS A LITTLE STIRRED UP FROM BEING DUMPED AND BEING SOAKED AND COLD ANYTHING WAS BELIEVABLE. WADE WAS SURE IT WAS A DIVER AND MADE SURE THE HOUSE KNEW HE DIDNT APPRECIATE IT, I DUNNO. I BOUNCED OUT OF THERE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE . MADE MY WIFE AN HOUR LATE TO WORK AND SHE ABOUT LOST HER JOB AND ME MY HEAD. DO NOT PISS OF A TINY THAI GIRL, "TRUST ME"!!!!

HOPE THAT KIND OF HELPS OUT WITH ALL YOU GUYS' CRAZINESS ON HERE.........

P.S. I TOLD WADE THAT THE HOUSE USES THE LIGHTS FOR DIVE LIGHTS SO THAT THE DIVERS CAN SEE EVERYTHING AT NIGHT. THAT PROBABLY DID NOT HELP OUT ANY. I KNOW WHEN I DIVE AT NIGHT WE PUT SPOT ;LIGHTS ON THE BEACH....
Old 10-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #42
kluts

Clean out this reef?

I can definitely see how upset you are,and I would be too,but I would go about it in a different way,getting revenge for that is one thing,but gps no.s and locations,to clean out a reef is not what websites are meant to represent,I would hope to see this thread moderated or deleted entirely for the good of the ocean
Old 10-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #43
mbaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluts View Post
I can definitely see how upset you are,and I would be too,but I would go about it in a different way,getting revenge for that is one thing,but gps no.s and locations,to clean out a reef is not what websites are meant to represent,I would hope to see this thread moderated or deleted entirely for the good of the ocean
Don't worry come 1/1/2012 this reef will be closed so quite whining. Plus commercial trappers take 80% of the bugs and are responsible for 95% of the ghost fishing.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #44
mbaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
ON ANOTHER NOTE I AM ALMOST POSITIVE IT WAS NOT A DIVER WHO FLIPPED ME
Thank you.
Now if your buddies would stop chucking at divers that would be nice. The sharks are bad enough, and yes La Jolla is FULL of seven gills I see one on almost every dive.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #45
BigBalsa
Junior

To shed a little "luminescense" on that night

As I recall that Saturday night vividly, and have retold many times since ...

To the north, a lone yakker was working his nets patiently, in silence.

To the south, a crew of yakkers were working inside and outside the reef, occassionally shattering the quiet evening. "Somebody was sure sceaming happy at their legal bug(s) for sure. Holy cow. " A megaphone was not required. One of the crew repeatedly encourages the others to move closer inside; there is not much swell.

To the east, the spotlights at Vietors turned on bright as day, probably to see what all the screaming (to the south) was about. Fortunately, they did not stay lit all night.

All around, bioluminescense, illumination of every particle, kelp, bait (or squid), and an occasional mysterious "splash" - of what I still do not know. When I shone my light in the direction of each "splash" I saw in the distance (in my Scopace induced night vision) - (1) commercial trap floats, (2) nothing discernable, but definitely some kind of "splashing" critter, and (3) what "appeared" to be a diver's breathing apparatus.

I remained close by my 2 hoops. A five foot shark swam by - maybe a Thresher or a Sevengill. My traps yield nothing but "just barely" shorts.

A yakker approached and described his ordeal of: slashed nets, getting splashed by something, and of begin capsized. I found it hard to believe, yet it is a strange night, with many unexplicables, the red tide and Scopace-induced psuedo-hallucinations. Perhaps it was a seal or a shark that splashed, or an eel that slashed the nets. Or, perhaps that appartent diver's breathing apparatus was for real.

Shortly after the crew left the crawl shut down. I paddled back to the launch empty handed, perplexed, but with nets and lines intact.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #46
BigBalsa
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
THE HARD A$$ HOOPING FROM HIS SURF BOARD TOLD ME IT WAS MOST LIKELY A SEAL.
Sorry - I was not trying to be a Hard A$$ - I was just cold, confused, and depressed at not getting any legal bugs for all my efforts, and the story was, at the time, hard to believe.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #47
bluesquids

Okay, how about this scenario?

As I recall seeing at Turners the week before the opening there is a mad rush to buy hoops. I believe they come in boxes of 10 and they have a hard time keeping up with bringing the boxes out from the back and opening them all up. Boxes everywhere. A Box cutter hastily opening the tops and getting dragged across the top nets, maybe not cutting all the way but putting a good nick to where it eventually pops under load or when dislodging from the reef.
One out of 10 nets might get a nick, check your nets boys.

I just find it bizzare that someone would go to all that trouble in that dirty water to just cut one single bridle per guy. Why not jack up all your nets worse or cut the main line so you go home with no nets.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #48
BigBalsa
Junior

Unreal Night

Ok, so it was a creepy night, easy to get spooked at things that go "bump" or "splash" in the night. But, like Kung Fu walking on rice paper and not leaving a trace, there was no direct convincing evidence of a diver - no bubbles, no wake, no glowing trail, not even a dive light. On a night when every little jiggle in water caused a neon explosion, there were just mysterious splashes, and unexplicable netslashes.

What diver in their right mind would rather "partially" sabotage a few kayaker hoop nets on the opening night of lobster season, when instead they could be out catching lobster?
Old 10-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #49
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Interesting episode, to say the least.

We should not be getting all pumped up and starting kayak-diver wars. We all ought to respect each out on the water, we’re all after the same thing. Use common sense. Treat others how you’d like to be treated.

'Nuff, killing this thread for the sake of our oceans and peace on the internet.