Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Reel Anxious
Flippin' Photographer

Quick review of Promar glow sticks with batteries

Purchased three yesterday opened them up and all three didn't work. I took off the cap and pressed on the contact point, one turned on but the others no go. You are supposed to tighten the cap to illuminate the unit but no. Just saying.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
gcsasher
Junior

I got these a few years ago, and they leaked, not worth the money, plus not that bright. the regular glow sticks work much better.
gcsasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Dammit I just 4 on Wednesday they better work !!!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Darkstar

I got a couple, had to pull the film between the battery and contact out, then I couldn't turn them off
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
roadx

yep.... the new style sucks!!! i bought a new one recently and it did the same thing. after pulling the tag it wouldnt work. played with it and got it to work but then could turn it off. so i pull the batteries when im done.
the old one's were better but the new one's are brighter or a need to change out batteries on the old one's .

oh..... by the way do not leave your promar light sticks out in the sun. it will discolor them, turning them black. they still work but not as bright. i did find out if you do expose them to too much sun, store them for a few months and some of the discoloration goes away
Old 10-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Chuck D

Yea those things are horrible. I use the glow sticks you can get at home depot or REI. They have a flashlight and glow bright in many different color selections. If you put them inside a Nalgene or Water bottle you can see them for miles. The only weird thing is they turn off after 30 min, but I find this useful as it is like a timer as to when I should pull my nets. Hope this helps.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
reefer

i have LED Glow Stick, Flashlight, Flashers combo http://www.lifegearcompany.com/glowsticks.html
that i have use while i night fish, and have place them in water bottle. the cool thing is that they flash off and on. something you .99 glow stick cant do.
I pick up my three pack from the lemon grove home depot
reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Anxious View Post
Purchased three yesterday opened them up and all three didn't work. I took off the cap and pressed on the contact point, one turned on but the others no go. You are supposed to tighten the cap to illuminate the unit but no. Just saying.

WARNING DO NOT BUY THIS PROMAR STICKS

THEY SUCK

i put mines on today and couldn't turn them off. On one of them the light bulb completed snapped off the soldering points;

You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 10-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Caffeind

How sad that the major go-to company for hoop gear can't put out a decent product for this.

I saw some nice strobes the other night...can't find em online tho.
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
Siebler

Strobes you say?

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...Flasher/Detail

Look no further, they are freakin awesome.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
tagyak

jorge had a write up on the led glow sticks. i purchased some and used it instead of those promar ones; thank goodness too after reading about all those malfunctioning ones.
in his write up he suggested to goop the connections around the o-ring, on/off switch and also the front of the flashlight. the light will stay on for an hour b/f shutting off. also it is a good idea to turn off/on the switch to reset the lights after each pull up. looking around in the dark for those nets after the lights shuts off is a bit tricky.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
PapaDave

I just bought 5, of which two worked as advertised, they had a contact that I needed to bend up and then worked fine. The other three had a plastic housing and two didn't turn off, the last one didn't turn on. I returned them for three others but got the same plastice housing and the same problems. I am modified them and now they work. The problem stems from pwb with the LED, if it isn't fitting perfectly then there is a problem one way or the other with it turning off/on. I modified the exposed plastic by cutting the end off leaving a small tab on it so it could be bent outward, then bent out the contact. So far so good, haven't had them out on the water yet though.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer View Post
i have LED Glow Stick, Flashlight, Flashers combo http://www.lifegearcompany.com/glowsticks.html
that i have use while i night fish, and have place them in water bottle. the cool thing is that they flash off and on. something you .99 glow stick cant do.
I pick up my three pack from the lemon grove home depot

I have a bunch of these in Orange from LifeGear. Flash mode is bright!

The only catch is that they automatically turn off after 45- 60 minutes
to "save the batteries", so make sure you press the button off/on each time
you pull your hoops. The company is creating sticks that won't turn off
automatically, but they will be in stores in about 6 months.

You can find these on Sale at Home Depot for like 4 bucks.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud9 View Post
I have a bunch of these in Orange from LifeGear. Flash mode is bright!

The only catch is that they automatically turn off after 45- 60 minutes
to "save the batteries", so make sure you press the button off/on each time
you pull your hoops. The company is creating sticks that won't turn off
automatically, but they will be in stores in about 6 months.

You can find these on Sale at Home Depot for like 4 bucks.

I've been using these two seasons now, they work great! I was at Home Depot about two months ago and saw them on sale, 3pack for $2.99 so I picked up three packs. I opened one up yesterday, I'm looking for the timer so that I can remove it or bypass it, if I find it I'll let you guys know.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
wiredantz

Promar just contacted me they said they will replace them with the new version. I have to dig through the trash and find my receipt

Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #16
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Promar just contacted me they said they will replace them with the new version. I have to dig through the trash and find my receipt
Trash Digger!!!!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #17
roadx

Quote:
so do they have a new-new version? the new version has the plastic battery clip. the old one just had the contact. the new one's SUCK!!!!!!!!!

i hope they have a version three because version two SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
so do they have a new-new version? the new version has the plastic battery clip. the old one just had the contact. the new one's SUCK!!!!!!!!!

i hope they have a version three because version two SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

We’re working on a new-more reliable version of the LED sticks which should be available in the coming month. For those who have purchased a defective LED Light Stick we are offering the following options:
  • A direct swap out when the new light sticks come in (in approximately 4-6 weeks).
  • We will replace each LED light stick today with 3 regular 6” Chemical Glow Sticks.
I found my receipt

Old 10-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #19
roadx

Cool sounds like their trying to make it right i'm impressed
i hope you dont need a receipt for the swap! i aint got one

oh..... and which one are they claiming is the defective one? version one or two or both??

Quote:
We’re working on a new-more reliable version of the LED sticks which should be available in the coming month. For those who have purchased a defective LED Light Stick we are offering the following options:
  • A direct swap out when the new light sticks come in (in approximately 4-6 weeks).
  • We will replace each LED light stick today with 3 regular 6” Chemical Glow Sticks.
I found my receipt
Old 10-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
wiredantz

Yes, you need a proof of purchase. I bought the one with the Plastic housing for the batteries and a bulb on one end and nothing on the other but plastic.